7 lbs down in 7 days - water?

(John) #1

I did a quick Google and didn’t see anything too enlightening.

If a 210 lb guy goes keto for 7 days and drops 7 lbs is there any idea of whether that is simply all water weight from glycogen or could it be a mix of fat loss?

Any sources or charts that show normal water loss after no carbs? I’d love to think this is fat loss. :smiley:

(jilliangordona) #2

Hate to burst your bubble but it is likely water loss from reduces inflammation. It happens to nearly all of us.

Soon you may see a drop in weight more slowly. However, if it takes a while to begin or you seem to slow down… do not get discouraged! Time and time again people are reporting dropping weight and they frustration after a few weeks of it not budging.

Personally, I haven’t lost an ounce in a while… but I have lost inches. Let you body do it’s thing once you have a good grip on things.

(John) #3

Haha. Yeah I figured. And makes sense. I was always feeling so bloated and fat. I feel great now due to 7 lbs less water bloat I guess.

Increasing your sodium intake can actually help reduce water retention. It’s backwards from the common belief but start upping your sodium and see what happens. Good luck.

(Barbara Greenwood) #5

Could be 7lb glycogen + water and 0 fat…
Could be 6lb glycogen + water and 1 fat…
Could be 5lb glycogen + water and 2 fat…

If you really wanted to know, you should have had a DEXA scan done before you started and again now. It doesn’t really matter, though, does it? Cos keto is for life.

I mean… you’re not going to do what I did… 8lb loss in the first week, 59lb in 9 months… then a gradual reintroduction of carbs over a few months resulting in 13lb regain… then back to strict keto plus fasting and lose 14lb in a little over two weeks…

You’re not going to do that, are you? You’re going to stay keto for life :slight_smile:

(John) #6

I’d like to I’m just nervous for what the doctor will say and whether i can keep up all the fat. Harder than I thought!

At your gradual introduction of carbs and 13 lb regain if you would have then done a typical standard diet but calorie controlled do you think you could have maintained that 50 some pound net loss?

(jilliangordona) #7

Calorie restriction is actually the worst weight to lose weight! It slows down your metabolism… which eventually leads to regain any weight that was lost. That’s why so many people struggle with losing. I know I spend years calorie counting and wouldn’t lose an OUNCE.

(John) #8

I know. I’m just scared this isn’t sustainable.

(Mike W.) #9

Once fat adapted, you burn your own fat. Assuming you have some to lose. You don’t have to pound fat for the rest of your life.

(Barbara Greenwood) #10

From the energy balance point of view - you would think so.

From my personal life experience - absolutely not. Because typical standard diet means sugar and refined flour, which are like a drug (to me) and lead to ever increasing consumption. I didn’t reintroduce the carbs deliberately, I just got a bit sloppy… and then stated getting hooked again.

I have been known to gain weight much much quicker than that in the past when going off a low fat diet.

(Jane Reed) #11

Re fear of non-sustainability: this is where I always jump in and encourage people to do their research. Knowledge is power. There are hundreds of people posting on FB, forums, and blogs who have gone low carb or keto for years. A little searching will find them.

It certainly is sustainable, but only if you commit to it, keep informed, and keep your spirits up. Success stories are motivating. The research is empowering.

(John) #12

Very true. I’m seeing that it is indeed sustainable. I’m still torn on the LDL debate but I don’t want to open that can of worms here now.

One thing I dislike is the salt requirement. It just feels funny to have to carry around a bouillon cube with me. I’m on week two and I noticed I get foggy head, mild headache and depressed when my salt is low. And I’m adding salt to food and drinking bouillon. I guess I just have to figure out the right balance. Haven’t tried the ketoaide yet.

(Barbara Greenwood) #13

That sustainability thing intrigues me.

I moved to a new area and job a year ago, just as I was starting keto. The people here have only known me eating this way, but I have had to explain it multiple times at the various social events.

While most people accept it or just ask questions for clarification (“no pudding… we’ve got fruit?”), a couple have reacted with what can only be described as pity. You can’t have bread? Or pastry? Or cake? Or crisps? Poor you.

I think they assume that, with so many things excluded, my diet must be boring and monotonous. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth - what I eat is tasty, delicious, satisfying and varied - when I prepare it myself, or eat out at a place where there are good choices available. The occasional difficulty comes because our food culture is so heavily dependent on carbs, that some establishments simply don’t tap into the rich palette of keto-friendly foods.

What they also fail to realise is that once you break free from carb dependence, the appeal of them lessens considerably. And, above all, the benefits in health and wellbeing make the effort required and occasional poor food availability occasion well worth the hassle.

(John) #14

For sure. One thing that I find troubling is that craft beer is such a big part of my friends (and my) life. That middle aged dad thing seems to be focused on fresh local beer, especially when all the parents are hanging out while the kids play (and fuss).

I wonder what would happen if I had a 25g carb beer this weekend if I really watched the rest of the day, in terms of carbs.

Usually I’m at about 10-15 g carbs so if I jumped to 35 g I wonder if I would go back to my old bloated cranky feeling for a day?

I’ve cheated with craft beer a lot. It will definitely mess with your ketosis. It might also make you bloated and feel really crappy (that’s what happened to me anyway). It also makes me crave carbs and makes me hungrier in general. But mostly I just don’t really like the taste like I used to. I much prefer wine and spirits now and I used to be obsessed with IPA’s. Palates change, mine has for sure.

(John) #16

Exactly. This post was about a month ago. I’ve lost 22 lbs total. Don’t need beer anymore. It’s wild!

Even when I have some Makers Mark, when I feel like I should be drinking (Friday night?), it doesn’t do what it used to do.

(Carpe salata!) #17

High five on the 22lb. You must be feeling good about that.

How is all the fat? Did your Dr have any comments? ( Following up your earlier trepidations…)

I’ve noticed that unhealthy eating for me led to other unhealthy habits. Now that I eat well and generally feel well I don’t need beer and cigars to unwind. It really is a vicious cycle like Fat Bastard said.

(John) #19

This coming Thursday the 14th I have a physical and NMR lipid test scheduled. Stay tuned!