69 now, want to tone, and even build with resistance bands

(Denise) #21

Yes, I’m guilty of doing 10 reps, instead of just one more that I don’t feel I can do. I think the guy said, on one video/article, that going until exhaustion is good, I mean in heavier weights, push myself to do just one more. Plus I don’t know how many times I’ve seen someone encouraging the lifter to do “one more, one more” :slight_smile: I can definitely do that with body-weight exercises.

(Denise) #22

I am I suppose, OCD, I don’t sit still for long, plus I notice I don’t feel good, kinda weak if I sit through 3 hours of TV, or sit at my computer too long. Otherwise, I am grateful for my little dog, she needs to go out 4 times a day (is our routine) Each time we walk around out building, but only about 15 minutes, sometimes 30 or 40 in good weather.

Some days I honestly don’t do much at all and those are the days I feel the worst (and my age) :worried: One thing pushes me on to keep trying and doing more here and there, and that is the people in my Senior apt. complex that are so sedentary, they are over-weight, using walkers, or wheelchairs. I am sad for them, but am doing all I can not to have to go that route.

(Allie) #23

Exhaustion is not good, the coaches I follow say to stop while it still feels like you have one in the tank. I don’t go to failure, I either do a set amount of reps, or stop as soon as my form starts to wobble.

(Denise) #24

8 years sounds like what I want! I’ll look into Leslie and see if they are still selling somewhere, thank you much Fangs. I did notices a lot of the bands I’ve seen on Amazon are so skinny. The band I did have was bigger around and very sturdy. I bought it at a Walmart, so I might check our store and see what they have. Rather see them, and easy return if they break etc.

(Joey) #25

If we’re talking about aerobic cardio/endurance exercise, I’m inclined to agree. But I’ll have to disagree if we’re talking about anaerobic strength training.

Numerous reliable sources (research universities, professional sports coaches, muscle/physiology researchers) all report that - when it comes to strength training - reaching muscle “failure” (in a well-controlled exercise with proper & safe form) is precisely what promotes muscle strength, growth and tone.

It’s what promotes metabolic repair and growth hormones and gets the brain signals to join in devoting whole-body resources to building more muscle fiber, which adds strength and tone.

Short of failure, you’re stopping short of achieving the key benefit you’re likely trying to achieve through strength training in the first place.

Yes, “failure” is an uncomfortable sensation, for sure. But it’s the most effective way of reaching your primary goal of anaerobic exercising… and therefore, the most efficient use of your time, focus, and energy.

Again, this is not true of aerobic cardio exercise - in which case “failure” can mean a trip to the emergency room.

p.s. - Strength training to failure (again, in a controlled, safe form) is also essential for retaining and/or even building bone mass - especially important for many older women. :vulcan_salute:

(Denise) #26

Thank you Allie, this is what I’ve done. When I think of the other way, I just need to know more about “muscles” because the breaking down of muscle when exercising/lifting scares me a little, but again, maybe for me, lack of understanding the process :grimacing:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #27

Not if you’ve got other stuff to do that day.

I was a serious weight lifter for 24 years, worked out in a hard core gym in downtown Denver, CO, alongside competitive body builders, professional athletes, and the Broncos, themselves.

When it’s your job to be an athlete, you can factor in grow time and even take a day off. I was running a landscaping company single-handedly six days a week and climbing mountains on the seventh. Working out to failure would’ve meant my career and health failed, too–and, believe me, as a young, stupid, 20-something, I toyed with those parameters enough to know that it’s true.

I found the sweet spot where I was able to push each workout enough to feel it but not deplete myself. I was still the strongest woman in the room, set records all the time, and never suffered from anything more than the slightest twinge of DOMS. The landscaping company thrived and I summited 23 peaks over 14000’ tall, no injuries. Whenever anything with bulging biceps sidled up to me at the dumbbell rack and blurted, “No pain, no gain, right?” I’d respond, “Wrong,” and smile sweetly.

Slow and steady can be just as “effective,” and now that I’m in my 50s, I find it crucial. People still ask me for weight lifting advice and I tell them all the same thing: Build your intuition about your bodily signals first, everything is effortless after that.

(Denise) #28

this was an excellent read for me Joey, I have heard much of that in the past, that’s exactly why I brought it up. You know what it all brings to mind, especially with the controlled, safe form, is how hard some people work at different “blue collar jobs”. So many men my age or older (and some women as well) have terrible if not ruined backs ;( It’s something not everybody learns, or is taught. I remember way back in my teens hearing “use your legs, not your back” to lift something. I never forgot that, and am still so careful, but I can still lift quite a lot, helping others move in or out of their apartments etc.

I want to learn more about weight-training and resistance training, and I want to full benefit. So the word is “failure” to learn about, exactly what that means. I’m thinking until I literally can’t do another pushup for example? I know I can do more exercise, but it will have to be in my apartment as I just can’t be out as much anymore. I used to camp, hike and kayak, but even last Summer, not having anything but a tent to camp in, I did terrible at it. I was exhausted and stressed out (I’m too OCD) because I didn’t have all my creature comforts.

Retiring was probably the last thing I had any business doing, plus the sit-on-my-butt jobs. My fave job ever was in a warehouse, wished I’d stuck with that :wink:

(Denise) #29

This is where I have to be realistic about my goals, and listening to my own body. Different strokes, and I totally get that. For me, If I do just, one, more rep, that’s good enough. I don’t have any goals to be the best 69/70 year old, at anything, so I just take what I can learn from all I read, and leave the rest.

I just appreciate every, single person that replies because I can learn something from everyone.

Is there really a Euphoria, sort of high from regular exertion? I have never been into any sort of exercise on a totally regular basis? I want to do this not just for building, or saving what’s left :wink: I want to fight the depression and anxiety I have. No pills, I just say no to my doc, but dang, some days are rough to get through.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #30

Oh, hellllll, yes! I call it the buzz. For me, it was a floaty feeling in my head, as if everything got lighter all of a sudden. Not dramatic, very soft and gentle, but extremely pleasant. I wouldn’t know what to compare it to because I’ve never taken drugs.

(Denise) #31

I think I kinda get that now and call it air-head :crazy_face: I am not liking the aging process :wink:

Ok, seriously, this sounds pretty good and does it last for a time? I mean depression can last for hours, even days. I do get more energy from my walks, and the little weight-training I have done, and feel like I want to do things, get things done like errands, just doing dishes, or cooking up a good meal :wink:

(Joey) #32

Awesome - love it!

Yes indeed, if I were running off to start my landscaping day, I’d dial back on muscle failure that morning too. When I know I’m squeezing in some afternoon skiing I do go easier on my quads that morning before heading out.

But most other days, strength training IS my strength training. And the only landscaping many of us do is a bit of weekly mowing and weed whacking. So if we don’t use these aging muscles and retain bone mass, we lose them.

(Denise) #33

yes, that is what I want to avoid as much as possible at my age ;), I used to love water-skiing, and never learned snow-skiing. I’m anxious to start working out today, but really enjoying the forum, having breakfast finally and a late start, one benefit of retirement, workouts at any time. I did 10 actual pushups awhile ago this a.m. just to see if I could, I did it!

(Bob M) #34

For me, body weight training reduces stress more than aerobics. I think one reason why is I can work out my entire body in one session, whereas with biking/running, you’re really not doing that.

I personally feel much better, for the whole day (I exercise in the morning), after exercise.

(Denise) #35

I know better than to exercise to late in the evening. I don’t sleep good, so earlier is better for me. I’d rather work all the muscles, and then give them the chance to “rest” or recover. At least that seems the best way according to the articles I’ve read on it.

(Allie) #36

is also essential for retaining and/or even building bone

Well clearly not as I’m not doing it and am making amazing gains.

I’m following the three guys who run Mindpump, they follow the latest research, and what they’re advising is working great for me.

https://www.mindpumpmedia.com/blog/3-tips-for-better-muscle-growth?hs_amp=true

(Denise) #37

Doesn’t anyone think we’d all need an autopsy to know who had the best workout, or lack thereof :rofl: All the videos, articles, and opinions, maybe just whatever makes you feel the best, and look the way you want. For example, my workout will be my own “creation” and it won’t be identical to anyone else’s.

(Joey) #38

Great to hear it’s working well for you! :fist:

[Not quite sure what “a couple of failure sets” means … to me, a failure is when I can’t do any more. If I could do one or more, for me it wouldn’t be a failure :wink: I’d cite the science on this but don’t want to belabor the point.]

Hello! I use bands for both upper and lower body; I’ve been working out at home with my trainer over Face Time since the first lockdown here and haven’t been back to the gym since (other than to try some one rep maxes). To be honest, we find bands give us a harder workout than free weights (I use 5 and 8kg, she uses 10s)

We use ones with handles for upper body and then the webbed bands for lower

I also do a couple of miles in around half an hour every day; either at the park/round the roads or if it’s wet then indoors with my old friend Leslie Sansone and her grinning minions of doom :smiley:

Oh and I’m 53 and have built a fair amount of muscle though God knows I wish I could build collagen as I’m edging into the crepey skin territory, defined triceps or no :weary:

this is for everyone.

I just do basic exercise I learnt in the Army Cadet Force (UK) that I learnt from the age of 13 up until 18.
Stuff I stopped doing as an adult, art a certain stage unfortunately.

Get back to basics.
Do push ups, pull ups, pull ups if you are so inclined, most importantly- just a half hour running/walking/dog walking per day.

It’s all good.

R