50 Doctors Call On The USDA To Overhaul The U.S. Dietary Guidelines

science
news

(Cecile Seth) #1

More Than 50 Doctors Call On The USDA To Overhaul The U.S. Dietary Guidelines: Call To Action For Guidelines to Benefit All Americans

Wouldn’t this be great if it happened! Thanks to Atkins folks for spearheading.

(Susan) #2

It is about time, but it will still be way off kilter for what we know as Ketoers to be good and healthy!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

Yup, pretty certain KETO won’t be the new recommendation, that would be much too radical a shift in recommended diet, and would find tons of resistance from all sides. After all the medical money mill must be protected. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #4

Sadly there’s going to be a lot of conflicts of interest on the USDA guidelines committee. I’m hopefull but skeptical that anything is going to get accomlished.

(charlie3) #5

What the guidelines experts could do is decree that diet should be customized for each individual, even the “healthy” ones, based on medical examination, understanding of the mechanisms, and food preferences. The government’s food pyrimid is based on the premise that one size fits all except for people diagnosed with a few specific illnesses. If that notion can be abandoned it starts the conversation about what food choices are best for each person and their metabolic status. At that point a lot of dietary practices could be considered, which is what most reasonable people should be able to support. Put the burden back on the citizen to figure out what they should eat and may be (or may be not) the government can provide resources for helping to make those decisions.

(Carl Keller) #6

Nina Tiecholz’s summary of today’s public meeting:

(Troy) #7

More summaries
Enjoy

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #8

Why are we thinking every one is a square peg going in square holes?

Maybe we need 2 or even 3 food pyramids. And different for youth even.

I see validation in the vegan style, but personally, may be my blood type, may be my life of lobsters which I ate two of tonight :rofl::rofl: - but it works for some.

Keto/low carb as well - works better for some. Or even Paleo.

Biggest issues that concern me are vegetable/seed oils - which in times of war and depression made sense but we know that our bodies struggle with them.

And the nasty sugar issue. It’s the worst. I like my occasional sugar treat, but that’s all it should be - an occasional treat. For many it becomes an addiction.

So yeah, this is my “kum by ya” speech. Take away would be there’s specific things we know are hideous and should be removed or taxed so high that it inhibits people who need the most help from buying them.

Jmo.