40 day Fast

(Tina Emmons) #13

Oh yeah! I’ve read Obesity Code, heard every Obesity Code podcast and I think just about every Dudes podcast. Soakin’ it up!

(Beth Utz) #14

Good luck!

(John Royals) #15

Yes I thought about that yesterday bone broth and a little apple cider vinegar in it I used that about the last two days of my 31 days Fast and I did not have any trouble going back to eating
Still slowly and carefully :grinning:

(Tina Emmons) #16

How are you doing @John_Royals? I’m at about 89 hours. My longest yet. Shooting for 115, almost five days but then getting on a plane for the weekend so I’ll have fun feasting!

(John Royals) #17

I am hanging in there thanks getting ready to post day six update :man_dancing:

(Candy Lind) #18

So what do you do to make sure you get keto-friendly foods on a flight? Take your own or request gluten free (I’ve seen someone say that) or Kosher (yeah, they said that works best!) or what?? Intensely curious because I have a friend that I really think should try keto but she travels constantly for her work.

(Candy Lind) #19

Following to see how you’re doing, John!

(Tina Emmons) #20

Hi, haven’t yet taken an extended flight long enough to worry about it since I’ve been living this WOL. On one hand I would think we should start to have more options like a low-carb meal disguised as “diabetic” but if I don’t think to ask I imagine I will spend my next long flight fasting! I was planning on breaking my EF on the short flight so I packed a large bag of Macs and O-loves(not misspelled, brand name of olive snack pack) but we ended up eating in the airport as reported and did well there. Would be interested if anyone here has asked for keto food. I would just worry they would provide but it’d be full of junk. Flew Air China in Nov and it was inedible!!! Wish I’d been a seasoned faster back then! Did bring on some pretty healthy food from SF, Napa Farms if anyone is going thru there, so we were fine. Plus you can always take your own food on board when flying out from home.

(John Royals) #21

So I don’t fly very much so maybe bringing your lunch or fasting may be the way to go

(John Royals) #22

40 day Fast Day 7.5 update so still won’t have any numbers till tomorrow
All is going well a little more difficult with extended family and the eating that goes with all of that
I am however thanks to the 2 Keto Dudes changing my goal weight from 189 my normal BMI weight for my age and height to 210 to 200 pounds they mentioned that several studies have shown that overweight people live longer than normal weight people
So I am fasting for weight loss and to lower my insulin so I may not have to fast 40 days to reach my goal weight
Well anyway I will keep fasting and and hoping for the best :man_dancing::grinning:

(John Royals) #23

Oh and I forgot to mention for the last two nights I have been getting cramps in my feet and ankles
Need more salt and magnesium :face_with_monocle:

(Candy Lind) #24

That’s a big fat YES. I rarely need them any more, but I have Endurolytes Extreme (Hammer Nutrition) sitting in my sleeping area, and when cramps strike I take 2 of them with at least 8 oz water. After that you don’t have to worry about waking up in 30 minutes with more cramps.

Have you looked at taking “ketoaide?” It supplies sodium, magnesium, and potassium in basically a “flavored water” form. While you’re trying to adjust your electrolyte supplements, it can keep you from getting way off kilter. @Brenda says she drinks 2 bottles a day while fasting, I believe.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

One to two everyday three to four on fasting days

Although personally I have to point out that I don’t support people doing fast of this length. If this is a water fast with no nutrition. The maximum amount of time that I will support a water fast is 10 days. You need to be under a doctor’s supervision if you were doing anything longer than that. You are at risk for refeeding syndrome and severe electrolyte imbalance. But probably the most likely thing that could happen is you could slow down your metabolism which none of us want. Why the length?

(John Royals) #26

It is not a water only fast
Coffee with heavy whipping cream
Some bone broth
Apple cider vinegar and pink salt
Seltzer water regular
Water
I have had the best results with extended fasting and am very aware of refeeding syndrome
But I appreciate your concern :grinning:
I will be loading up on bone broth before I break my Fast if I get there far
I have readjusted my goal weight to between 210 and 200 pounds so may not need to fast that long
Main goal is weight loss and a long time with low insulin to help reset my body set weight downward

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

Good to hear.

(John Royals) #28

40 Day Fast Day 9 update
Some numbers
Weight 229 pounds this morning
Blood glucose 88
Ketone test strip in the large range 16mmol/liter
I feel great no cramps last night
The day went very easy
My new weight loss goal is again changed from 189 to 210-200 so I am 19 pounds away from the upper limits of my goal I am anticipating it to take around 20 days to reach this weight
At which point I may end my Fast this is assuming I can make it that far
For the record I started my Fast at 9:46pm on Saturday March 31so I am not quite at the 9 day mark :grinning:

(John Royals) #29

40 Day Fast Day 10 update
So all is going well no real problems
Weighed this morning 226 pounds which is just 5 pounds away from my lowest weight of 221
So maybe by Sunday I will be breaking new ground :man_dancing:if I can make it
Resting heart rate is at 48 bpm down from 67 when I started

(John Royals) #30

40 day Fast day 12 update
So far so good
Down to 224
Feeling ok tried to climb a tree with rope and harness got about 10 foot off the ground not as easy as the arborist make it look Lol

(John Royals) #31

40 day Fast day 12.75 update
So Friday the 13th did me in Lol
I started out at 242 and got down to 223
For a total of 19 pounds lost
I have about 13 pounds to go to get to 210
So it’s Friday fun day I was not hungry and I felt just fine but I wanted to eat didn’t need to eat but wanted to
So I had some pork skins and a salad
Then some ribs
So the thing about fasting is you can start when you want and end when you want
So sorry I didn’t get to 40 but I did get over 25 percent there and had 12 good days of low insulin :man_dancing:
Still feel ok and am going to eat some yummy keto meals this weekend
Thanks for all of the likes and kind words

(Anne T Hawthorn) #32

My story is similar, 4 yrs ago 370 lbs, a1c 7.7, venous ulcers, HF, afib, 4 months in and out of hospital/nursing homes, 7 mos cardiac rehab. Now 215 lbs, a1c 5.0, no HF no afib, on a tiny dose of beta blocker and xarelto, serious exerciser, orange theory fitness 5 or 6 per week.
Following Dr Fung slo mag, vit k2, salt, bullion, butter and ac-vingr. I want to string together a few 14 day fasts. Starting today.