40 day Fast

(John Royals) #1

So last night after a day of feasting on bbq and ribs I began my 40 day Fast!!!
Now I may not make it past the next hour or week and that’s ok.
My longest fast I ever done was for 31.7 days I lost over 40 pounds during the Fast. The funny thing was it was no harder than a 7 or 14 day Fast.
I have lost 120 pounds since June of 2017
When my A1C was 6.5 it is now 5.0 (I had been pre diabetic for years and did not pay any attention to it) My June blood work came back Doctor said your A1C now suggests your are Diabetic come back in 3 months to confirm oh crap!! I managed by using LCHF and fasting thanks to Dr Fung’s books to get down from 342 to 274 in 3 months my A1C was 5.0 and I have been working on fixing my self every since :grinning:

No longer taking blood pressure or statins and very happy about that

So I will try to be posting daily with my results I will post my weight tomorrow when I get back home to my scales but I suspect I am around 245 or so (I have been feasting lol) my body set weight is around 235 so I want to lower it by keeping my insulin low my goal weight is 189
I 6’1” and have just turned 48 I am male :man_dancing:
So would love to hear your thoughts and comments
Oh and the 2Keto Dudes rock!!!
Thanks

(Karen) #2

Good luck! Make sure you have someone who knows and recognises issues. Pastor fasts every lent, 40 days. It’s doable.

K

(Robin) #3

I just did my first 3 day fast and once past the first two days, it was pretty easy. Eventually I’ll get to your level of fasting awesomeness. Are you going to be updating frequently? I think there would be a couple of people at least who would like to follow, including myself. :smile:

(John Royals) #4

Yes that’s is what I hope to do :grinning:

(Chuck) #5

Good luck! Stay strong!

(Jerrett Scott) #6

Good luck!! Keep us informed and stay safe

(John Royals) #7

So I am 38 hours into my 40 day Fast all is well
I weighed myself yesterday evening and I was at 242
This morning I was at 239 I Normally weigh every morning so this weight is most accurate
I did ride my bicycle for 30 minutes yesterday

(Tina Emmons) #8

WOW! Hope I can follow this! I’m trying my first 5-day and thought I was really doing something! Haha. I did read someone here say, just fast off the first 20. I’m thinking that’s not a bad idea. Don’t think I can go that extended with life in the way but 3-5 days every week until I get somewhere might be possible. May the force be with you!

(Jay AM) #9

What do you plan to do after the fast? Will you then feast?

(John Royals) #10

I would read The Obesity Code by Jason Fung
The fasting helps lower insulin levels and depleats your the glycogen stored in your body allowing you to burn your fat as energy (must get your insulin low to get to your fat storage)
Extended fasting helps me most with weight loss and by lowering my body set weight to keep the weight of (low insulin is key to lowering your body set weight)
Fasting is like taking 3 steps forward in weight loss and when you start back eating 1 step back
LCHF and intermittent fasting helps me maintain my weight (I may be able to lose weight with it but extended fasting is just more powerful way to get the weight off for me)
So do your homework listen to the 2 keto dudes
And read Dr Fung’s books :grinning:

(John Royals) #11

Yes but not at first I have to ease my body back into eating don’t want to get sick
The longer the fast the more careful you need to be
Don’t want to get get refeading syndrome
Nuts bone broth with apple cider vinegar
Just take it slow and easy :nerd_face:

(Karen) #12

I’ve had good luck with bone broth, bit of butter.

K

(Tina Emmons) #13

Oh yeah! I’ve read Obesity Code, heard every Obesity Code podcast and I think just about every Dudes podcast. Soakin’ it up!

(Beth Utz) #14

Good luck!

(John Royals) #15

Yes I thought about that yesterday bone broth and a little apple cider vinegar in it I used that about the last two days of my 31 days Fast and I did not have any trouble going back to eating
Still slowly and carefully :grinning:

(Tina Emmons) #16

How are you doing @John_Royals? I’m at about 89 hours. My longest yet. Shooting for 115, almost five days but then getting on a plane for the weekend so I’ll have fun feasting!

(John Royals) #17

I am hanging in there thanks getting ready to post day six update :man_dancing:

(Candy Lind) #18

So what do you do to make sure you get keto-friendly foods on a flight? Take your own or request gluten free (I’ve seen someone say that) or Kosher (yeah, they said that works best!) or what?? Intensely curious because I have a friend that I really think should try keto but she travels constantly for her work.

(Candy Lind) #19

Following to see how you’re doing, John!

(Tina Emmons) #20

Hi, haven’t yet taken an extended flight long enough to worry about it since I’ve been living this WOL. On one hand I would think we should start to have more options like a low-carb meal disguised as “diabetic” but if I don’t think to ask I imagine I will spend my next long flight fasting! I was planning on breaking my EF on the short flight so I packed a large bag of Macs and O-loves(not misspelled, brand name of olive snack pack) but we ended up eating in the airport as reported and did well there. Would be interested if anyone here has asked for keto food. I would just worry they would provide but it’d be full of junk. Flew Air China in Nov and it was inedible!!! Wish I’d been a seasoned faster back then! Did bring on some pretty healthy food from SF, Napa Farms if anyone is going thru there, so we were fine. Plus you can always take your own food on board when flying out from home.