4 weeks on Omad...now going to attempt a 33 hr fast

(April Harkness) #1

Why? Bc my bf is taking me on a date tomorrow. 24 is now doable for me. But anything over 24 is tough. Last sat i planned to do same but only made it to 30 before i broke it. Wish me luck

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I’m curious April, why do you fast and OMAD? You look to be at the peak of health.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Susan) #3

It says you have lost 111 pounds, which is fantastic, but yes I agree with David, you seem to be very slim, and athletic and toned, etc. And, why 33 hours specifically?

(April Harkness) #4

33 hrs bc that is our dinner reservation. That is all. And omad bc my appetite is fairly low now with keto. Although 24 is now my sweet spot. Anythung over 24 isa bit harder.

(April Harkness) #5

Also…i will document my fasting blood sugar , today to prove…our bodies are marvelous machines and I ma not in the least bit hypoglycemic, and even on keto and fasting my blood glucose doesn’t dip too low. Last meal was about 830am on Tues. Carbs were less than 20g. Fasting blood sugar approx 820am is 84 (my meter reads slightly earlier at 8:15 but this was taken around 8:20). Body is capable of this wondrous thing called homeostasis!

(Susan) #6

Best wishes with your goals, April =). You look amazing =).

(April Harkness) #7

Also I used to not be in the peak of health. I am now healthy bc i keto plus do a daily 18 to 24 hr fast. Its a lifestyle for me now.

(April Harkness) #8

updated glucose. 1215pm.

(Susan) #9

Amazing =) I know, I read you lost 111 pounds, that is fantastic. Best wishes for your 33 hour fast you are currently doing.

(April Harkness) #10

Guys, I made it!!! I fasted about 34.5 hrs. My boyfriend was amazed I was neither crabby or hangry before I broke my fast as he does fast for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashana and says he is so crabby every time he fasts for those observances. He doesn’t know how I remained so normal during a long fast. But it is normal for me since I fast daily. I will fast alongside him in September. Easy peasy! :wink: As for the date night with the boyfriend- My boyfriend for religious reasons can’t eat certain types of seafood such as shrimp and other assorted bottom feeders. Because he knows I love crawfish he decided to be non-kosher for our date night. I still kept keto for dinner(I ate crawfish and sausage) but following our delicious dinner at The Boiler Shrimp & Crawfish in Skokie we went to a Filipino ice cream place in Niles called the Village Creamery, with unique flavors where i ate Red Bean Ice Cream and he had Fruity Pebbles ice cream. Not keto. Delicious! Back to Keto and my regular 22-24 hrs omad intermittent fasting for me today and back to being kosher for my boyfriend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By7g3TYFJu0/…

(Susan) #11

Congrats, April! Well done!! Does your bf do Keto as well?

(April Harkness) #12

No my boyfriend is a sugarburner. I won’t force him to do keto. When he was upset about not being able to eat regular bread during passover, and just eating matzah, I reminded him I don’t even eat any bread or grains…ever. He thought I was from another planet…lol!

(Susan) #13

Oh, okay. Well I am happy for you you achieved your goal and had a great evening out =).

(Ellen ) #14

I can’t imagine 24 hours without food, let alone days. I love food to much. Hats off to you though. You look great !

(April Harkness) #15

It wasn’t overnight. I initially started off 12:12, then 14:10,16:8…found myself going 18 to 19 hours, sometimes 20. IT took over a year to get to 22-24. 4 weeks on Omad thus far and I feel good. And have thrown in two extended fasts (this is my 2nd). But it was definately not overnight. Cutting out artificial sweeteners in my coffee /tea and and no longer indulging in lowcarb snack bars with artificial sweeteners, as well as no longer eating fat bombs, actually reduced my hunger even further and made this longer fast doable. I did find after having the ice cream I was still hungry after. Had to power through and just stuck to my guns and once 9pm hit, I didn’t eat anymore. Got back on the omad wagon at 10am today.

(Susan) #16

When I started Keto in February I couldn’t imagine doing even 12 -12 tbh, but I tried it and then noticed I was able to keep lengthening it, then I did 16/8 for quite a while, but been on 18/6 or 20/4 since towards the end of May… and I have done 3 -24 hour fasts so far, (atm doing one a week but I want to increase this and and want to do longer ones), like April and many others on this forum have.

Since there is a thread just for IF I think that that is a major aid/encouragement!

You look fantastic, April, you certainly have done well.

(Jane Srygley) #17

How did you do? Thanks for posting the blood glucose readings. When I did my first 24-hour fast, my reading was 61. Shortly thereafter I got really irritable and didn’t feel right, so I quit. I’m trying a 30-hour fast today and feeling pretty good so far.

(April Harkness) #18

although I have only been doing OMAD for 5 weeks …I have been doing 16-19 hrs of fasting for a while. Before I used to fast my blood sugar was actually low like yours (well, except for 2017 when I was put on Zyprexa…but that is another matter!). My blood sugar is actually in the upper 70’s- mid 80’s now since I have been consistent with fasting. body will learn to keep you in homeostasis. Slow and steady wins the race!