4 Pant Sizes So Far This Year: Keto is Magic!

(Windmill Tilter) #1

I started out 2019 in size 40 jeans and nearly the heaviest I’ve ever been. I started keto on 1/11/19, and now just over 7 weeks later I’m comfortably wearing size 36 jeans today. I’m kind of amazed really. They look and feel so much better than those size 40 jeans.

Regular old keto and a 3 or 4 day fast each week has the pounds melting away. Refeeds are 3000kcal+ per day, which has sent my energy through the roof. Even fasted, my energy is amazing, and at this point I can’t really tell a difference between when I’m eating or fasting. Why the heck anybody would recommend continuous calorie restriction on the SAD diet is beyond me. I tried that a dozen times, never got anywhere other than feeling tired, hungry, and miserable. My doctor is supportive now too which is great. He’s never heard of anything like this, but told me “whatever you’re doing, just keep doing it!”.

Anyhow, I’m just really thrilled to not be wearing great big baggy jeans anymore. Thanks keto!

I used to feel like my pants could double for a circus tent, if necessary. :slight_smile:

My wife still can’t believe the size of my clothes, when she’s doing the laundry. It’s like she’s folding children’s clothes, now. (no comment @anon54735292)

Great progress, Nick!

Thank you for sharing the magic! :+1:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(mole person) #4

Well, I’m just really, really happy that you joined this site.

Two years ago, at age 50, at a point where I was miserable from having gained 15 pounds in the last year without any ability to take it off in the ways I had previously in my life, I listened to a Gary Taubes podcast which set me on a research path that resulted in a keto way of eating. Two years later both myself and my husband are as slim as we were in our early twenties.

Shortly before I began eating keto, I had begun CrossFit with my husband. A month in, my husband received a serious back injury stimulated by the exercise. He is still not fully recovered. I continued CrossFit for a year after that, but was never happy to be there without my husband. Further, he realized that he would never feel safe at CrossFit again. I also, began to be aware how very many injuries the older people at that gym sustained. Deciding that it was just not worth it for me I eventually quit. However, I have just not been able to get excited by exercise since then.

About a week ago I began reading your plugs for Body by Science and became intrigued. I downloaded the book and began to read. Within two chapters, I realized that this was something which I had to try.

However, my poor husband, who has not been able to work out effectively in just about 2 years, was even more excited about it and superseded me. He did a bodyweight version of the Big Three. The next day he was crazy sore in every exercised muscle and as happy as a clam. The next day was my turn, and judging by the way I felt the next day, after only having done 10 minutes of exercise with ultra-safe loading, I knew that this was a game-changer.

We have now found a gym that has the sorts of machines that will allow us to progress effectively with this mode of exercise.

I cannot tell you how thrilled we both are, so thank you.

Also, congratulations. Your progress in just over two months is nothing short of exceptional. I’m looking forward to hearing about your continued quest as well as more of your well considered thoughts.

(Carl Keller) #5

I still wear my size 36 inch jeans at times but I have to wear a belt with them. When I pull the belt out, they hit the floor like a guillotine.

(Windmill Tilter) #6

That’s awesome! I’m so thrilled glad you guys are enjoying it. Body by Science has been pretty amazing for me so far. It’s the longest I’ve stuck to any exercise regimen ever in my life, and I realize it’s something I can do until I’m 80. I will always have 20 minutes, especially when I feel this good the rest of the week. I can’t believe how much stronger, and how much more energetic I feel. :smile:

It is super strange the first time you do it. It didn’t really feel like I did anything when I finished. Then came the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) two days after I lifted. I could barely go up stairs. I figured it had to be doing something after all. :smiley:

You say the nicest things sometimes. Thanks! :blush:

(Carol) #7

That’s great success, Nick, and I love reading about success! :smile:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #8

Can you do Body by science at home with free weights? I have been looking for a routine but I don’t want to go back to a gym.

(Windmill Tilter) #9

You definitely can and Dr. McGuff shows it both with free weights and with machines in the book. Although I have the weights to do it in my basement, I’m not sure I’m comfortable enough with free weights to do it though. The reason is that the exercise must be done to total muscle failure. Without total muscle failure, it doesn’t work. The problem with that (for me) is three-fold:

1. It requires impeccable form with heavy free weights
  2. It requires you to maintain strict form with heavy free weights all the way to total muscle failure
  3. The risk of injury is high if either condition above is not met

I self aware enough to know my form just isn’t that good. I’m a free weight noob. I did Stronglifts 5x5 for about 6 weeks a decade ago and my deadlift form was off enough that I tweaked my back and had to take a few weeks off. I never started up again. Learning perfect form takes a lot of practice, and for me at least probably a personal trainer. That’s just me though. I’m a clutz.

Plenty of folks do BBS with free weights, but I know my form just isn’t good enough. I do the machines because the risk of injury is greatly reduced when total muscle failure results in a failed rep. It can definitely be done by someone who knows what they’re doing. I’m just playing it safe because I want to be able to keep this up all the way down to size 32 jeans. :grinning:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #10

I will be using very light weights as I have very little muscle. So maybe I’ll get the book and give it a try.

It’s been a very long time since I did weights but my form used to be good :grimacing:

(Nigel Basson) #11

Don’t remind me Carl, it was embarrassing :slight_smile: A few weeks back my eldest daughter was at a very plush Airbnb place for the weekend and invited me over to dinner together with my other two adult kids, Grand kids and a couple of close family friends. It was a bit of a rush job so I grabbed this pair of jean shorts and forgot the belt as I never used to need one with them.

After a few wines around the pool I needed the bathroom so got up, started walking towards the bathroom and all of a sudden there’s a 60 year old man with his dacks around his ankles and his family laughing like hell. My sheepish reply on my return… " I told you Keto works." I’m sure I will continue to be a party talking point for quite some time but on the positive side that’s what happens when you lose 5 inches off your waist in just a few months.

(Windmill Tilter) #12

:+1::+1::+1:

Go for it!

I may revisit the free weight thing at some point in the future, but I may have no choice but to stick to the gym. I think I’m addicted to the sauna!

(Carl Keller) #13

Great response! :rofl: