4.5 Months Keto - Stall or?

(Susan) #41

Awesome, Tessa, I am so happy for you that you are feeling better and figuring things out =).

(Jill F.) #42

Everytime I hit a stall I ate straight carnivore for a few days to shake it up. I ate bacon, eggs, broth, just meat and protein. Seemed like once I did that it kind of restarted my metabolism and got me headed in the right direction again. Also be sure to measure your body. You may be losing size and not pounds.

(mole person) #43

Same, although I go even stricter. Anytime I want to drop weight fast I switch to nothing but beef, beef fat, bone broth, salt and water. I also make sure the macros are very high towards the fat. I shed fat super fast whenever I do this at a rate of about 1/2 lb a day. I have no idea where the limit is since I always stop when I drop to 104 lbs. One day soon I will test for where it plateaus.

(Tessa) #44

Thanks for the reminder on this! It’s been awhile since I’ve done measurements. I will do this today and see where I’m at. Thanks!

(Tessa) #45

Update from today’s weigh-in!
I had been stalled out between 184-186 a few weeks ago. Made some changes over the last 2 weeks and this morning I was 179.4! Very happy with this and will continue on with the changes I made and see if the weight keeps dropping!

(Susan) #46

That is awesome, Tessa! What changes did you make? The information may be useful for the rest of us too!! =)).

(Tessa) #47

I cut back on my sweeteners and switched to stevia. I now use 4-5 liquid drops in my morning coffee and that’s it. Before it was several little packets throughout the day.
I started eating more. Someone on here suggested to switch the app I’m using to maintenance mode instead of losing weight mode. I use My Fitness Pal. By doing that it increase my daily recommended calories, I changed the macros to fit a keto diet and I didn’t shame myself for eating more calories each day. I actually feel a lot better!
I stopped weighing myself everyday too. That was creating so much stress, was becoming very unhealthy actually. So without that stress I feel like I was just able to let it go, relax and my body rewarded my extra eating with letting some weight go. I’m not going to change anything else up for a bit and see how the next couple weeks go.

(Susan) #48

Okay, awesome! I don’t use any artificial sweeteners (got rid of all the beginning of June) and have done the same with upping my calories and keeping the carbs below 20 always (always did for that but that is the only thing I make sure is always low), so hopefully this will work for me too. I just wanted to make sure I was trying the same things too. Thank you =), and I am so happy for you =).

(Bunny) #49

Wow 4.5 month stall? (that would really have me worried if I was strict keto)

Those artificial sweeteners could be contributing to the problem.

Artificial sweeteners are kind of like a person fasting extensively or dieting ketogenically then swishing the mouth with pure sugar water from table sugar without swallowing any of it [1] but in this case your actually eating it?

Guess what?

It has the same effect (cephalic response) on the metabolism as if you really ingested it? (amylase enzymes in the saliva and mucosal glands in the mouth)

Of course you will have people (nay sayers) responding to this post trying to argue it does not, but reality is a different story because your actually ingesting a sugar, it does not matter whether it is artificial (pure highly refined sugar) or not (highly concentrated beet sugar mixed with sugar cane i.e. table sugar) your body reacts as if you are eating carbohydrates (pure highly refined sugar) so it will hold onto your stored fat and store fat[4]?

You eat artificial sweeteners on keto then you can say bye bye to long-term weight loss?

You want to encourage actual fat burning not discourage it[4]?

References:

[1] CARBOHYDRATE MOUTH RINSE: PERFORMANCE EFFECTS AND MECHANISMS

[2] Artificial sweeteners produce the counterintuitive effect of inducing metabolic derangements

[3] Fundamentals of glycogen metabolism for coaches and athletes

[4] Carbs Not Only Road to Insulin Rise: pre-meal insulin release

[5] Is Insulin Really a Response to Carbohydrate or Just a Gauge of Energy Status?

[6] How Artificial sweeteners make you fat| Cephalic Phase Response

[7] Cephalic, gastric and intestinal phase of digestion

[8] Phases of Digestion (professor)

[9] Cephalic Phase of Digestion Explained (psychologist)