315 Pounds

(Jake P) #1

It has been a while.

In February I started doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. It was a great starting point for me, but I was stalling out in strength progression, and I was getting a little frustrated. I have transitioned to a new program. Starting Strength, it is a similar concept, anyway, When I started in February, I was deadlifting 135 LBS to start.

Tuesday I deadlifted 315 pounds. For the first time since High School, I lifted a weight heavier than myself. I am as proud of this as I am of my 98-pound weight loss.

My weight loss has stalled out a bit, the last few months I am sticking around my 98-pound weight loss, but my body is still changing, and my clothes continue to get looser, and I have to keep buying new slacks for work.

I have a friend who set a goal to run a half marathon. Something she could control and if she met the goal or not was all on her. I liked this mentality. I want to do something similar, but I hate running, I have embraced strength training. I have set a goal to compete in a strongman contest or something close to it. I am giving myself until next year to train for it. This 315-pound lift is a milestone for me. It’s motivating me to work harder, tighten with my macros, I do get a little lazy and just eat lunchmeat and cheese.

Anyway, I just wanted to share.

Keto on.

Way to go! Great progress, both in gains and losses :smile: :muscle:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

That is outstanding. Good job!

I’m still doing SL5x5, but I’ve read a good bit online from Mark Rippetoe, so Starting Strength is definitely on my radar. Did you buy the book, or is there another way to get the program? I seem to recall seeing a Starting Strength app in the Play Store. Would be nice to have something similar to the app available for SL5x5, since it makes it very simple to figure out what the next step-up is for the various exercises.

(Mike) #4

Starting strength is essentially basic weightlifting periodized for beginners such that you increase in weight every time you lift. Unless you’re concerned about form the book is not necessary. You would be doing squats, deadlifts, presses, bench presses, and power cleans plus any accessory work you feel like doing. You would lift 3x a week, squat every time and alternate deads w power cleans and press w bench press. Ripp recommends moving up 5-10 lbs each time you lift and doing 2-3 work sets of 5 I believe.

Holy crap, that’s incredible. Good for you!

(Brian D.) #6

That is excellent! (great pic as well)

I would not be surprised if your deadlift gets up to 500 in a year. I’ve seen that kind of progress with other guys starting out with rapid progress like you have. I competed in a Powerlifting competition a few years ago and it was a great experience.

Carry on!

(Stephanie ) #7

Amazing!!!