30 days on keto

How do you feel about a diet soda once in a while (since it has no carbs) or any diet low carb food on a keto diet plan? Thank you

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

A lot of people find that the sweet taste is a problem for them, because it stimulates cravings. Non-sugar sweeteners can also produce what is called a “cephalic” insulin response; in other words, the brain senses the sweet taste and signals the pancreas to start producing insulin, in order to get ready for the glucose burden that is expected to arrive.

On the other hand, if you are are struggling with giving up sugar, then non-sugar sweeteners can be helpful to get you over the hump. But many people have found it helpful to simply give up sugar and just deal with the cravings. This is similar to sober alcoholics, who find the taste of non-alcoholic beers and wines can be a trigger for a binge, so that it is easier just to stay away.

Random Thoughts:
So if I can avoid these artificial sweeteners altogether that is ideal.So called “kick the habit” because they can be just as bad as carbs.

How about a piece of grapefruit periodically? Not the whole thing just a piece on a keto diet?

I dissolve a half a tblspoon of baking soda in a cup of boiling water so that it sizzles and let it cool. I drink this every morning about a half hour before breakfast or a couple hours after a meal. Supposedly it cuts the acidity in our system. Makes you go to the bathroom as well. I was wondering if anybody here does this.

(Robin) #24

@trucha… the answer is always, “of course you can!”
You can have whatever you want! Just keep your carbs within your limit. Call it good.
You’ll find out which foods trigger cravings, which ones make you want a nap, which ones give you energy, which ones rock your world, and which ones make your joints ache. It’s all individual.
Count your carbs and go explore.

Be careful with grapefruit if you take certain meds:

"Here are examples of some types of drugs that grapefruit juice can cause problems (interact) with:

• Some statin drugs to lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (simvastatin) and Lipitor (atorvastatin).
  • Some drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as Procardia and Adalat CC (both nifedipine).
  • Some organ-transplant rejection drugs, such as Neoral and Sandimmune capsule or oral solution (both cyclosporine).
  • Some anti-anxiety drugs, such as BuSpar (buspirone).
  • Some corticosteroids that treat Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, such as Entocort EC and Uceris tablet (both budesonide).
  • Some drugs that treat abnormal heart rhythms, such as Pacerone and Cordarone tablet (both amiodarone).
  • Some antihistamines, such as Allegra (fexofenadine).

Grapefruit juice does not affect all the drugs in the categories above. The severity of the interaction can be different depending on the person, the drug, and the amount of grapefruit juice you drink. Talk to your health care provider or pharmacist, and read any information provided with your prescription or non-prescription (OTC) drug to find out:

Yes thanks I’m aware grapefruit is contraindicated for many drugs as it makes them more potent. That’s why I avoided grapefruit when I was taking NSAIDS.

But I’m talking about a sliver of grapefruit. From what others say here, a small amount of anything is ok.

Usually anything is okay in small amount for keto so the carb intake stays low enough. But it’s individual if it’s really okay. But eating is like this. Egg is fine but if you are allergic, it isn’t. Chicken is fine but if you are just as hungry after eating 1000g of it, it may not be your best choice for a staple… Carbs add up quickly and raise blood sugar so carby things are trickier - but may be fine on keto still. Sweetness is individual, it never bothered me, I half-lived on sweets on keto in the beginning (and used them nearly every day until carnivore) as it was my best option for a while but it’s normally not a good idea. One should test it and decide if it’s okay for them.

How do you test sweets to see if its ok? What do you look for? I really don’t know what caused calcific tendonitis in my shoulder but inflammation is a big factor in joint pain. On a low carb high fat/protein diet there’s much less pain and inflammation.

(Megan) #29

I try them. If I don’t crave more, they might be okay. If the next day or so my hands don’t want to hold anything and they feel like paws, it was a bad choice. The inflammation for me is a quick and painful thing.

Sometimes it is confusing though because weather systems moving through can cause the same issues.