3 Year Keto, but gaining back weight fast

(Gil) #1

Hello, I started Keto in 2016 In January as a New Years Resolution. My start weight was 310lbs while my height is 6’4. First-year dropped to 240lbs but took a vacation for a month around August where I ate carb-rich foods. Nothing really happened to my weight except that I could no longer go under 240lbs.

Ketones in the first year were amazing as I was always above 3.0mmol/L

I continued keto, bouncing from 245-250lbs. I incorporated Intermittent Fasting, but only one meal a day, didn’t lose weight but helped maintain my weight. I switched to heavy protein and lowered fat intake and still managed to maintain my weight.

The problem right now is that I just weight myself and I am at 266lbs that is 26lbs gained! Two weeks ago I was 256lbs. I’m losing it, I have tried everything such as monitoring carbs to no more than 20g. I meal prep always, for example, my plate contains half vegetables half chicken or any other meat, but I stick to chicken. I even started running 3 times a week, but nothing is helping.

My ketones usually are at 0.5mmlo and won’t go higher on a keto diet no matter what I do. I decided to fast for 3 days to see what happened. On the second day of fasting, my ketones were 0.7mmlo and at the third day I was at 1.2mmlo and felt amazing, better than being on keto. The hunger is torture, but energy and the way I felt was amazing.

Please Help

(Ethan) #3

What are you eating? I started at 255 and dropped to 210 over 5 months. Then I stalled at 210-225 for 15 months! I just went to a keto-carnivore diet of meat, fish, eggs, and butter/ghee and the weight is coming off again. I suspect at least one of the following causes of my stall:

1. Casein form the heavy cream and cheese. I ate a LOT of cheese and drank a reasonable amount of heavy cream. Casein issues can cause histamine and insulin increase, and cheese can also cause you to eat more (satiety issues)
  2. Plant products. Being carnivore can cause more weight loss–even from keto.

(Gil) #4

I eat about two cups of cheese normally mozzarella and 100-200ml of HWC on my protein shake. I don’t really want to go carnivore yet because I want to live a balanced life. Meat is just expensive if I don’t include vegetables. This is the container I use for my meals. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLSSZZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I use the separated compartment for Veggies and the big one for just meat.

(Ethan) #5

I have found that going carnivore is cheaper in many ways. I get filled WAY sooner. I am eating about 2 pounds of meat a day on average. I do eat a lot of steak and liver, but if I had to be on a tight budget, It is still affordable; I don’t pay these prices, but these are reasonable proxies:

10 pounds of ground beef * $5 per pound = $50
4 pounds of liver * $4 per pound (walmart is way cheaper if you do that) = $16
4 sticks of butter = $15
TOTAL = $18 per week

That is VERY CHEAP.

(Gil) #6

Thank you, I do agree that breaking it down it seems less expensive. Might give it a shot as I have more to loose if I dont. Thanks Again.

(PSackmann) #7

What type of protein shake are you drinking? I had an issue with a soy-based protein several years ago, and it’s taken until recently for my metabolism to recover.

(PSackmann) #8

I think that’s supposed to be $81 per week, not $18

(Gil) #9

Currently I have switched to drinking RSP Truefit which to me seems good. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCWB4FZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That’s what I was thinking

(Windmill Tilter) #11

How long have you been running? Also, how long have you been drinking whey shakes? Whey shakes plus 2 cups of cheese a day plus 200ml of heavy whipping cream could cause problems for a lot of people.

Running won"t solve that problem, but it could totally scramble your satiety signals and increase cortisol if its a new stress.

It might be worth dropping the dairy for a couple weeks to see what happens. Maybe the running too, unless you enjoy it.

(Ethan) #12

Yes. 81 is very cheap

Body weight is a poor measure alone on which to base health. Are you gaining muscle with shifting to a body building version of keto? How do your clothes fit? Have you had to let out your belt a few notches? What are your blood tests telling you?

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #14

I would stay away from anything that is shake like or has whey in it. My guess is that if you got rid of the shake you would start losing again.

The question is are you willing to give it up for a month as a n=1 experiment? If you aren’t then the shake is ultimately more important than the weight loss, which is fine but you are making a choice.

Lots of people have reported that the shakes are a problem on the forum.

(Bunny) #15

Your ketones look normal for some one who has been doing this for three years, that is what they should be, they are not going to get any higher because your brain is actually using them as fuel, so they are not going to be floating around in your blood or urine.

The most likely reason your not losing weight is because your leptin resistant; if your T3 levels are higher than they should be? Even if your thyroid lab tests appear to be ‘normal” get a second opinion[3].

I would try incorporating more leptin reset foods[2] into my Ketogenic menu? (try soil based probiotics instead of that health food store mass produced Petri dish stuff, it is worthless and does not survive the digestion process and passes right through the intestinal tract, in my opinion)

Bottom line, you periodically need more carbohydrates until you can heal your thyroid? (that is why you are getting so hungry)

Resources:

[1] Test Your Thyroid Function at Home

[2] Hypothyroidism Diet + Natural Treatment

[3] How to Properly Test Thyroid Function with Labs

[4] Hypothyroidism can interfere with absorption of this important nutrient. Thiamine (or vitamin B1) is one of many B-complex vitamins. …If you have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, you may not absorb thiamine properly, leading to a deficiency that can exacerbate fatigue, a common symptom of hypothyroidism. …More

Question about hashimoto's hypothyroidism and prolonged fasting
(Mandy De Fields) #16

TBH I think you are just way over-consuming the cheese and cream and the protein shake probably isn’t helping. Try two months without those three things and see what happens.

(Gil) #17

I have not been gaining muscle, actually my clothes are getting tighter. It is just getting uncomfortable putting on my skinny clothes.

(Gil) #18

I can leave the shake as I prefer to eat real food. I actually don’t drink them often. I would drink the shake twice a week maximum. Its just a back up when I need something quick

(Gil) #19

This is a typical meal for me. Pork, Bacon, Chicken, Tilapia, and or any other protein meat.
The veggies tend to be the same.
Google Photos

(Carissa JB) #20

Have you been drinking any alcohol? Several months ago it didn’t affect my weight
or my ketosis, But then I began to gain. So I had to give up my evening drinks. Im happy to say I am back in ketosis

That’s no good. What do your blood tests tell you? Including home testing. How is your fasting blood glucose? And your 2 hour after meal blood glucose after eating a typical meal?