3 weeks into keto

Hi guys

Im 3 weeks in I have dropped about 10 pounds

finally got a keto meter and checked my blood levels and its only 0.7mmol

i have been reading that 1.5 to 3.0 is the optimal fat loss zone

i havent cheated this last 3 weeks but im dissapointed by my low ketone level, also from my readings online many people have dropped 10 pounds in the first week.

(David) #2

I think your results are terrific. I know how you feel about the numbers but I wouldn’t get to hung up on them. The numbers will follow if you stick with the program, and any weight loss is welcome.

how are you tracking the food you are eating?

(Louise ) #4

You’ll find that Phinney and Volek’s range begins at 0.5 - 3.0. At a recent Phinney workshop, he even suggested lower levels were still indicative of ketosis. Great work!

Im not really measuring anything

Breakfast
Bulletproof cofee 1 tablespoon cocinut oil and 1 tablespoon butter

About 50g of almonds or macadamia in total as snack through out day

Dinner
Chicken breast or salmon fillet
1 whole sliced avocado
Handful of frozen veggies steamed
5-6 heaped tablespoon of mayo on the veggies

Estimate daily
About
150g fat
90g protein
30g carb

(Jules Swart) #6

Any other changes? Pants fitting better? More energy? Improved concentration? There are so many different ways to measure progress, don’t let just one or two deter you.

(John) #7

I would start tracking to get you started, what you listed here gets nowhere near 90g of protein, it is 30 in MFP so I wouldn’t be surprised if you start dropping muscle.
I have never seen anyone do a mayo fast, probably for a reason, but most of your nutrition comes from mayo.

What kind of Mayo? Most main stream brands are made with Soy, which isn’t the best choice. Although, I do use it on occasion.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

Oh hell, you’re fine!
Keto rule:
Never compare yourself to others!!
Our bodies are very different.
Your weight loss is fine, your ketones are fine.

Patience grasshopper.

Ive been making sure to get mayo made with canola oil or olive oil
But ill probably start making my own soon with pure olive oil

I think clothes are fitting a lot better, just dissapointed by the scale and ketone meter

I think just need a bit of reassurance that im on the right track

(Paul) #11

I am in the same boat as you. i don’t cheat, but my ketone levels rarely get above 0.9.

Mostly out of curiosity, I keep changing things up…add/remove diet coke, sugar free gum, intermittent fasting, etc. but nothing seems to change my numbers.

I am googling, trying to find a 3-12 month study where:

• A bunch (100 or more) of people on the same ketogenic diet and are in nutritional ketosis ( 70% fat / 25% protein / 5% carbs )
  • Maybe some of them exercise
  • See the range of ketones in the blood (urine, or breath)

I don’t see anything on this site for show me the science, but i’m new, maybe i can’t find it.

i found this one on starvation…
http://www.medbio.info/horn/time%203-4/homeostasis_2.htm

where i found this graph…(i don’t know if this was on people or mice…or how many subjects were used)

(Paul) #12

I’m still searching, this is from Steve Phinney’s bicycle study, 9 bicyclists who were riding 200 miles/week