3 weeks in to Keto/Intermitment Fasting - my experience

(Megan Hutchison) #1

I started a ketogenic diet 3 weeks ago. I am no stranger to low carb and high fat eating so it wasn’t a difficult transition for me in many ways. However before I began I had been struggling with unstable blood sugar/clear signs of insulin resistance/elevated (tho not yet quite pre-diabetic) fasting glucose #s

Fast forward 3 weeks and this is what I experienced:

Week 1 - dropped 7 pounds of water weight within a few days. Blood glucose #s lowered but still had ups and downs of higher fasting glucose #s. I knew I could not force fasting however I did fast some simply because I was not hungry - & symptoms did occur when blood glucose dropped below 75 a few times. I would take salt/electrolytes and rode it out ok.

Week 2: started feeling more stable. Appetite started coming back. Fasting glucose lower but still up and down, everywhere from 79 to 101. I did a couple 18-20 hour fasts and felt pretty good. Was hungry and had no problem feasting on the non fast days. At the end of the second week my ketone meter came. I took the first test at the end of a 20hour fast and got 3.0mmol!
No weight or inch loss since week 1.

Week 3:
The next morning with a glucose of 113, I had a ketone reading of 2.1 (GKI of 2.98). That was also the last high fasting glucose # I’ve seen, tho I have stopped testing every morning. Week three is now complete, I again did a couple 20 hour fasts through the week, also alternated with feast days. Intermitment fasts keep getting easier. Definite energy increase (chronic fatigue is something I struggle with among other things)

Some more stats since getting the ketone meter:
5/29 ketones 3.0 in afternoon/post 20 hour fast

Fasted/morning results:
5/30 bg 113 ketones 2.1 GKI 2.98
6/1 bg 72 ketones 3.2 GKI 1.25

Last but not least:
6/4 bg 77 ketones 5.5 GKI 0.78!!!
This last stats was not on a fasting day. I had breakfast, then I had lunch, and this reading was a few hours after lunch and before dinner.

I’ve only been keto for 3 weeks as of today. I know everyone’s body reacts differently however I feel like this is a bit abnormally high ketones/low GKI ? I’m certainly not complaining about reaching therapeutic levels of ketosis as I am hoping it will help heal certain issues outside of insulin resistance - autoimmune disorders in particular. I won’t be weighing or measuring for a few more days but am curious to see if I may finally experience some fat loss with these #s. Is there such a thing as too low of a GKI?

Just thought I’d share /see if anyone else has experienced similar.

Keto & loving it!