3 Weeks In, Not Too Impressed, Ready to Give Up

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #21

Never ever compare your results to your husband’s result.

You will always be behind him. You probably have a smaller frame, so he probably has more fat to lose. He also has a hormonal advantage in T over E, which is really useful for building skeletal muscle which makes fat loss easier.

You have to measure your progress on your own measuring stick. I’ve crushed a former girlfriend who insisted on measuring her progress on Body4Life against mine on Atkins + B4L lifting. Cruel to herself. My wife and I had a talk about this same issue, and she gets it now.

Everyone really needs to climb their own ladder and figure out how many rungs they’ve done and how many to go, without looking at anyone else’s ladder.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #22

4g of carbs/tablet. Be sure to factor that in your count.

(William Shafer III) #23

Your meal looks good, the one thing is the balance of your macros. A chicken breast is mostly lean protein. As a guess, I’d say you’re right on with low carbs, your fat intake is moderate, and you may be having a little too much protein. So basically take this meal and have the chicken fried in butter or butter over the top. Or since you don’t like dark meat chicken may be substitute with a fatty fish or lamb, or beef.

Great job so far! Like most here it took me 6 weeks before I was adapted.

(ba3c53a7b092ede3d0a7) #24

So glad to find and read this thread. Only 8 days in and getting"itchy feet" or something. Finding the eating very easy but… I guess it’s actually been so simple and SO different that I’m nervous something must be wrong :slight_smile: I’ve slept really well the last week, have not once woken hungry and have been completely uninterested in the various cakes, chocolates and snacks that have been floating about. Also have realised how much I was eating just accidentally now that I’m counting. Must confess, it’s hard to comfort eat when I feel full. Maybe that’s what’s getting me. I’m struggling with food not being a reward anymore…hmmmm tx for listening.

Men tend to lose weight faster on keto, it’ll happen for you too, it just might take a little longer than you expected. Stay strong!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #26

Fixed it for you.

This is very reassuring to read.
I started seriously three weeks ago (after playing around the edges on and off for a few months).
I have been meticulous about having plenty of fat at every meal, but have gained weight.

I totally understand that I need to accept that in order to get my body fat adapted, but it is hard!!
Good news is that all my blood markers are doing wonderful things, and my BP is great.
So, I will KCKO!!

Of interest, I have found that I have actually got a sensitivity to dairy - it gives me serious heartburn. I have tried lots of different types of dairy, and every one give the same response.
I have just made some ghee to see if I can tolerate that.
Really hope I can still enjoy butter in some form!!

cheers all

What did you fix?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

Men lose faster… it’s not a keto thing. It’s an all diet thing.

Yeah but keto is included in “all diets” so I didn’t really say anything wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

(Grant MacDonald) #31

That seems to be typical for women, but you will see some real benefits if you stay the course. You can do it!

(TJ Borden) #32

Just make sure to check labels. My wife used to use Nuun all the time (we have a friend that used to work there and would get us free packs). They used to be no carb, but they’ve changed the formula and many have added carbs/sugar now.

The watermelon flavor is 4 net per tablet. Not the worst, but you want to make sure you count it and see if/how it affects you.

It’s funny i would see this post. I am at 3 weeks also. I’m 255 6’1 35 year old man. I started at 263 but the weight loss I believe has been water. I am telling myself to stop. That this is bullshit. That this is to good to be true. That the 2ketodudes are just looking and saying what they want to hear. That I have failed once agian. That I am a looser. That I am a horrible person with no discipline. Those are some of my thoughts. Here are my facts. I wake up for work everyday at 4am and never call in even when I don’t want to work. I support my family without hesitation. So i do have much self discipline. I haven’t list weight but I have eaten as much as I wanted and I feel the same as I always have but I’m exactly the same weight everyday. I have many times put my plate away with food still on it in the last 3 weeks becouse I was satisfied and didn’t want to eat. That’s never happened in my life I can always stuff it in somewhere. I haven’t had any cravings in 2 weeks for carbs and things. Maybe my body is switching over. Maybe I jacked up my metabolism and it’s restarting still. Maybe it’s happy at this weight and it will take some time to find a new normal. Most people stop things around now according to the 2ketodudes. I would say give it 3 months. If no change I’ll do IF and extended fasts. It sucks and I want the results now. I will keep coming back. I will keep keto. But I will say a big F U to those that it came easy lol.

Hi there, Freak, nice to meet you. Please start a new thread and introduce yourself, ok? You’ve got some really great questions and I want to help you, but you deserve your very own thread. :slight_smile: I especially have some thoughts about fasting.

You’re doing great!

Thanks. I was just giving my insight to the OP. Letting her know she isn’t alone and some of my irrational thoughts. Since we are both at the same time in our journey.

Oh, I wasn’t complaining. Like I said, you’re doing great! You mentioned fasting, and the OP’s question was about eating. I was intending to offer you some fasting tips/insight.

I just said that about a new thread because 1) it’s nice to meet new people (hiya!) and 2) it helps other people find additional topics if they are in different threads. Otherwise, we’d just have one master jumbo thread , lol.

If I came across as anything less than nice, please forgive - it wasn’t intended, I promise.

O. No I felt what your saying. I was more addressing the last sentence about throwing in the towel. I appreciate what you were saying.

(Madge Boldt) #38

So right! 8 years ago I lost 200 lbs in 2 years. Then I gained 10 ponds per year thinking I could eat in moderation. Ha! I started keto in October. I now have control over carbs and am losing slowly. But since I’m in it for life, who cares? I’m confident that someday I’ll get back to the weight I should be, all the while eating great food aka guilt-free fat!

(Missy) #39

Hi Jess, I’m 42 and have been perimenopausal for the last 6 years.:confused: My husband and I both started doing keto since this past December. I did have somewhat of a 5 month head start since I cut all processed sugars and most carbs out of my diet since June, 2017. I think it was this head start that has made my weight loss slightly ahead of his. It’s only by 3 or 4 lbs and I’m well aware based on experiences that he can easily pass me at any moment and for the first time, it doesn’t bother me one bit. For the past 6 years, I tried major dieting 2 different times, (complete lifestyle and menu changes), and both of those times, my husband decided he wanted to come along for the ride.:unamused: Needless to say I had a lot more weight to lose than he did, and it never failed. In the 1st month he would drop some major pounds and the weight would continue to fall off, mean while I was at a slooooow crawl and left eating his dust, so I know just how discouraging it can feel. It was so discouraging that both times I gave up anywhere between 3 to 4 months after starting the diet and I resented my husband and his happy ass weight losing self.:laughing: After the 2nd time, I was done! I didnt want to try anything anymore because it seemed the results would always be the same and I knew if I did try again, my husband would want to tag along for the ride and I would want to toss his happy weight losing ass out of the car and take off instead.:rofl: So to preserve my marriage and my sanity, I never went on any type or formal diet after attempting to do so twice.

Here’s what I didn’t realize 6 years ago that I discovered last year. 6 years ago, I started showing signs of perimenopausal but being that I was too young to be having perimenopausal symptoms, (this according to the doctors), they always attributed my symptoms to something else. During these 6 years, I was putting on weight even when cutting back or dieting. Weight loss was slow and for some reason, I would hit a stall anywhere between 8 to 10 pounds, then the weight would slowly creep back up and up and up. The weight was just piling on and my doctors always told me: Eat more veggies and fruit, cut out sweets, exercise, portion control. So I’d eat more veggies and fruit, portion control, started exercising and I cut out sweets, but the weight just kept coming.

Then after getting my blood test results for January of last year, the words PRE DIABETIC stood out like a neon sign and hit me like a freight train. Several months after test results, deeper depression ensued and 5 months after blood results and numerous tests, the doc finally told me I was perimenopausal. What advice did i get? Same old mantra: eat more veggues and fruit, portion control, blah blah blah! So in June of last year, I woke up one day and stepped on the scale and I was at the heaviest I had ever been. From that day on, I told myself I had to make a change and that something had to be done before it got any worse. I decided to cut out all processed sugar, rice, breads and pasta because the words pre diabetic were still pounding in my head! I still ate potatoes and ramen noodles, but very sparingly. Since it wasn’t a planned diet or something that gave direction on what to do and how to do, thankfully, my husband decided to sit this one out.:grin: A few months later, he noticed I was a lot happier and more energetic, on top of losing some weight. I really didnt think anything of his observations that day because I never thought if certain types of foods affecting a person’s mood, other than energy. From June to Nov., I didn’t keep track of my weight at all because it seemed pointless based on what happened in the past, and at that time, weight wasn’t my focus, it was blood test results and pre-diabetes.

Then in November, a friend of mine mentioned keto to me, which is something I never heard of, but it was pretty similar to the way I was eating so I was intrigued. After our conversation, I did as much research and reading as I could before deciding to give it a shot and so I set the first week of December as my start date AND, I even decided to invite my husband to join me! Since keto has guidelines to follow, he didn’t hesitate and jumped right in with me.

Here we are, 3 months down the road and we are both healthier and happier than ever. He’s almost 30lbs down since starting keto and I’m at 33 lbs down. I lost 35lbs from June to Nov. of last year after cutting most carbs and sugar, so in total, I am now 68lbs down with 40 more to get to my goal. For the first time in 6 years I found something that works and has been effective. The more I continue on this journey, the more I continue to learn how badly sugar affected my body. After much reading, I now believe that sugars and carbs were sending my hormones out of whack and because they were a part of my diet, weight loss was not attainable and depression and anxiety sunk in. I am starting to find a healthy balance and all the meds the doctors had prescribed me in the past, I no longer take since cutting sugar.

This time around, my husband can pass me in weight loss and I wouldn’t even blink. I’m 42 and perimenopausal and this lifestyle change is the best thing I have ever done for myself, thus far. It takes sometime to find a balance but once you do, you will feel so much better…and you definitely won’t regret it!

One of the things my husbandand I are finding out about keto is what works for some, does not work for others. For example, we eat the same main dishes for meals, but change up portions and sides because we are finding we have different dietary needs to maintain weight loss. He eats 2x sometimes 3x daily, where as most times I eat OMAD. One of the best things I like about keto is that it forces us to be more focused and in tune with our own bodies so much that we don’t really have the time to look at one another’s weight loss like it’s a race to the finish line. We’re focused on ourselves but we’re also supportive of one another and help each other out if one of us hits a stall or starts to put on weight and we discuss on what we may need to adjust to get the ball rolling again.

Focus on finding your balance and you’ll do wonders! As you can see from my past mistakes, comparing my weight loss to my husband’s wasn’t healthy or encouraging at all. Keto is different for all of us and once you find your balance and how to make it best work for you, oh the rewards and benefits!

(Brandy Fischbach) #40

My hubby and I have been doing keto for 5 weeks. I lost 10 lbs…he lost 28 lbs! I know it is frustrating. I have to remind myself that this is not a race and it is working, just not as fast as I would have hoped.