3 WeekNo Added Salt Experiment

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #1

Thanks to a carnivore vet in one of the ZC FB groups I’m in, I took the challenge of going 3 weeks without any added salt and no salt water. My 3 week experiment officially ended 1/31, but yesterday was busy, so I didn’t get to share the results. So here we have it, my bp readings from the 18th, I didn’t think to keep track regularly until almost a week after starting. I’ve been pleasantly surprised and extremely delighted with the results. I honestly admit that this wasn’t something I could maintain on keto alone. I wasn’t able to stop taking the HCTZ indefinitely either. When I first went keto my BP dropped, but didn’t stay down. Needless to say I was disappointed by that. There were only a few periods after that where my bp would dip down and go back up, but usually it was up, and sometimes way up.

I know that in the keto community salt is a big deal. There are also some ZC folks who share that sentiment. I think that overlooks some variables/facts/factors to blindly subscribe to heavy salting (which I ended up doing for the sake of electrolytes) without knowing how it will impact the body. It adversely affected mine. After ceasing to salt, there were changes - puffiness in eyes gone, pain in my hands at night due to swelling gone, my sweat isn’t as salty as it once was, and my BP is down, way down, 113/70 this morning.

When I stopped adding salt, I also stopped taking magnesium (based on a question asked, please no that I hadn’t taken magnesium with any regularity, I snagged the bottle I have now because it was on sale for ten bucks, more than likely it’ll be given away eventually) and trying to figure out about getting more potassium. Seeing how they’re tied together, it was the logical move. No regrets! No cramps even when I would work my muscles to fatigue. And the few times there was almost a cramp, that went away quickly by changing positions or more deeply relaxing. I’m saving on money and my body is healing. I’m winning.

This is one of those things that allows a person to learn their body much better. I didn’t know what would happen, but I was willing to find out. I will be keeping up with both ZC and refraining from adding salt (bacon has enough salt, it’s an awesome seasoning lol) and will see what the future holds. I’m still adapting so I can’t wait to see what’s on the horizon.

(Chris) #2

Are you planning to keep tracking your daily BP? I’d be interested to see where it settles after even more time.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #3

That’s the plan. Did two readings today both were about the same, 113/70 and 113/69 not too long ago. I’ll be keeping the readings logged in my phone so they’re handy.

(Rob) #4

Very interesting n=1 experiment. I think this documented experience is very useful for those in similar situations to validate a change from standard keto doctrine.

What I would say is that what this tells us is that you are sodium sensitive like about 20% of the population (according to the Salt Fix author), not that higher salt levels are not healthy for/required by many (most?). But still… very worthwhile. Thanks.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #5

You’re welcome!

I’ve seen people ask about salt in different groups and talk about puffiness and such, and I always say limit the salt intake if it’s that bad. For myself, I thought the further along I went, the more I would need salt. It’s almost two years later since I first went keto, and it remained the same. Yet, I persisted because, as you said it’s keto doctrine - heavy salt. I think that people need to be encouraged to go against the grain, even if they’re going against the grain that’s already going against the grain. LOL

Look at me being all outlierish! Hahaha!

(Cristian Lopez) #6

try potassuim salt?

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #7

No, not interested not only for the bad taste, but it hurts my stomach. I’m fine without adding salt though. I don’t find my food to be bland, I still use spices.

(Chris W) #8

I did a similar experiment after the 1st of the year. I dropped my added salt. At 1st I did have a drop in blood pressure, to the point of having a couple dizzy spells at the gym, but in my case, it returned back to the roughly the same level as it was with higher salt intake after about 3 weeks. This seems to be about how long it takes the kidneys (which are mostly responsible for BP regulation) to fully react to changes in electrolyte intake. The 1st few hard workouts a few days after dropping my salt really sucked. I also had a bit of sudden weight loss (5-7 lbs) when I dropped the salt, but much like the BP, it seemed to normalize after a few weeks with about 1/2 of the weight I dropped coming back, in spite of keeping salt down.

Moving forward I have kept my salt intake lower, but not as low as during my “experiment”. I allow myself a little more on days that I have heavy workouts planned, to avoid a repeat of the way I felt the 1st few days after cutting back. Overtime I expect to use less and less and wean myself off of it, but shutting it down, cold turkey, while working out heavily seems like a problematic approach for me.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #9

I can see how that can be problematic @cwstnsko. I haven’t had any dizzy spells in spite of having some intense workouts to push the limits. I can’t say if I had an initial drop in weight either, I don’t own a scale. I have noticed that if I have more sodium than what I’ve already grown accustomed to, the swelling comes back and there’s a rise (not huge) in bp. This has happened twice. I can’t be sure, however, it’s hormonal or not because both times there was hormonal activity and a little more salt (pork rinds the first time, and too much hot sauce the second). Other than that, it’s still good and staying low.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #10

No added salt update!

I’m happy to report that my bp is still running steady. I’ve continued the half dose of HCTZ most days with some days ‘off’. This will be the year I come off of this medication - I’m determined. The time I crave something salty is during hormonal times. As of April 1, I’m going mostly dairy free. I say mostly because I’ll still be consuming butter and eggs. I’m looking forward to it actually; I’ve been finishing off my cheeses and heavy cream this week, and yeah. My primary issue for the past several months has been sinus related, and as I’m finishing off the dairy supplies there has been bloating. In all fairness, I’m consuming a much greater amount of dairy. It’s been months since I’ve consumed this much dairy. And it probably explains why I used to feel the way I did back then.

Here are some of the latest bp readings.