3 months of keto at 15 years old

(Jack) #1

So, in December I created a topic wondering if it was healthy to be on a low carb high fat diet. It is now mid February, and I’m still going strong. I would like to take this time to showcase how impressive the results have been.
In November of 2017 I weighed in at a cool 171 lb. , at 5"8. This would make me overweight according to the Body mass index. So, I began my search for the perfect, quickest diet. I found many calorie restricted, fat free diets. I tried a low calorie, low fat diet, and had 0 interest in ever continuing. I hated the food, and the small portion sizes, it felt as though I was starving my body. I continued to do my research, and I did hours upon hours of it. I finally stumbled upon LCHF(Low carb high fat/ ketogenic) diet. It said I wouldn’t have to restrict calories, an actually encouraged me to eat fatty food (Good fats of course). The task of sticking to this diet seemed daunting at first glance, my favorite food is pasta! Me being 15, I had to get my mother on board, as she is the one who purchases all groceries. With lots of convincing, and scientific evidence I was able to get her to purchase my keto food supplies. Unlike many others, I went completely cold turkey and had no carbs, even the first day. I read lots of stories about “Keto flu” and how it was easily treatable with some chicken broth. I took preventative measures, I had a cup of organic miso soup everyday after school, in order to get my electrolytes. For the first week, I pretty much had steak, cooked in butter, and asparagus for dinner every single night, oh yeah, and a cup of whole milk.

1 month in, I lost about 7 pounds. Losing weight is beginning to become addicting. It’s a competition with myself. I am still not sick of the ketogenic diet, I absolutely love the foods.

2 months in, 9 pounds down. The steak is beginning to taste bland, so I try some new foods. I try salmon, and tuna steak for the first time. I love the Tuna steak, and somewhat like salmon. In my short time I’ve learned that monotony is what kills most peoples diets. Variance will keep you interested and excited for your next meal.

3 months in (2/16/2018) 14 pounds down. I now weigh in at a mere 156 lb. My results thus far have been significant. This month was also the start of my gym membership, which most definitely helped me overcome the plateau. I feel happier, I look much better, I’m no longer overweight, I’m still not bored of the diet. At this point, my metabolism has been accelerated so fast that I can eat 2500+ calories per day.

How do you like Keto?
This diet is the greatest thing I have ever decided to do for myself.

What is your daily meal plan?
Breakfast- 4 organic, free range eggs, 2 slices of porkroll and siracha. Cup of organic whole milk
Lunch- Salad (Dark greens, cherry tomatoes, chicken/steak and balsamic), and water.
Dinner- 16 oz. ribeye, cooked in organic butter, asparagus. A cup of whole milk

(Rob) #2

Congrats on your keto journey.

You might want to trade stories with @KidKeto. He just got kicked to Paleo by his doctor for a high cholesterol number even though we all know it isn’t really a worry.

I bet there are other young ketonians here too.

(Troy) #3

Wow!
Great job and commitment
Back then, my Staple food was…Kraft Mac N Cheese and :hotdog: Farmer John Hot Dogs​:smile:

Fast Foods and Carby casseroles

Good Luck
Keep it going!

Congratulations on your progress and success so far!

As much as I would recommend keto to anyone interested, it needs discipline to maintain and I know that at 15 I would never have managed it.

Are there any adults on here that have put their kids on a keto diet at a younger age? If so what age would be appropriate? I can imagine how difficult it would be trying to move my toddler to our way of eating at this stage.

(Sheri Knauer) #5

The earlier you start them eating real, whole foods, the easier it is. The first week or two may be crazy with some tantrums and no eating but they usually come around.

Agreed. That is basically what we do, however it would be impossible to restrict carbs in the way that I do for myself, purely because of the life that kids lead… nursery lunches, school dinners, kids parties etc. Surely strict keto isn’t really doable until the children can understand and make a decision themselves - hopefully the right one based on a good foundation set by eating as much ‘real’ food as possible.

(Sheri Knauer) #7

I agree. I have 2 girls, 9 and 8. I only provide them whole foods at home, mainly keto but I also give them fruit, and pasta on occasion. I see no need, at this point at least, to have them do 100% keto since they are not over weight or showing any metabolic derangement or have any other medical issues that would be helped by following keto. Like you, I just hope when they are older and making their own food choices, they choose wisely.

(Lauren) #8

My toddlers (ages 3 and 2) eat keto. I do allow fruits and unlimited veggies, though. They both are doing extremely well on it. Pepperoni and string cheese is a current favorite snack. Last week it was bacon dipped in cream cheese. My other 3 kids (9, 13, 15) eat keto at home, and make their own choices if they are with friends. They are all healthy weights and thriving on it.

(Cristian Lopez) #9

Hey there,Im 15 too but did keto for health benifits and performance In regional track not weight loss

over the past week I learned a valuable lesson and you ,yes you, just confirmed it!

I was eating less than 15 net carbs at my age!

that all came from low low low carb nuts like pecans and flax seed,nutritional yeast,spinach,collard greens,and occasional cauliflower and avacado

I ate about >4800 calories with sometimes less than 10 net carbs and let me tell you…
I did have a energy increase during my races no denying,I built 20 lbs of muscle and lost 25 in fat,but think about it I was eating 3-9 fat bombs a day,limiting my protein too <100 and eating little carb,Eating bags of pork rinds and chicken skins and de-whiting eggs olny eating yolks and ate fried salmon skins and cream cheese. While I did lose a ton of fat and got really muscular it over all made me miss the bigger picture of the fact im doing a low carb diet at my age.

1.right after races it was hitting toilet

2.Constant constipation

3.olny eating meat dishes at restaurants

4.drenching all my food in drippings and olive oil

5.No glycogen for last 200m of my races

6.My cholest shot up too the moon

I made a change then, and now still low carb but for now until my next blood tests im eating more paleo and putting in micro nutrients and digestibility in priority,meaning Im eating alot more leaner and subbing fats for faster digesting proteins and low carb plants on the paleo food list along with eating nuts variety ,avocado, and dark chocolate(all my fats 8 hours before race) and the rest of the day eating very lean,tuna,egg whites,turkey,and whey protein for the rest of time before race.

1 hour 30 min before I drank a sugar free redbull(4g net carbs) and a cheese cake quest bar which was something I have not had since pre keto (6g net carbs) along with 1 scoop of mr hyde pre workout 30 min before

results…I hit a 11:25 min 3200m run (2 miles) and Personal record a 43 second faster time at the meet compared too time trials I was running every past 3 days at 12.08

Lesson learned here is health is the most important factor and too remember that!
(P.S this all happend these past 10 days so true story brah)

(Cristian Lopez) #10

getting blood redone in 2 weeks btw

My main concern would be are you growing? While your BMI may have been a little higher, you are not obese by any stretch when you started. Personally I like my kids on whole foods not keto until they stop growing. I figure if they need to lose 10 lbs later they can do that, they cannot grow another inch after a certain age

I know we don’t agree with the reasoning, but this seems like major progress in the medical world! (He wasn’t kicked to LFHC, Ornish, vegan…).

(Jack) #13

Thanks everyone!