3 Diet Myths Busted - Swimmer Magazine March/April 2018

(Ross) #1

The headline reads: “Dodge the ‘magic bullets’ for weight loss and stick to the facts”

Nice to see US Masters Swimming taking an interest in the diet component of training.

The “three myths” they list are as follows:

1. Diet isn’t as important as exercise.
  2. Going Gluten free helps you lose weight.
  3. Diets mean only eating salads at restaurants.

Seems non-objectionable & I thought for a moment that US Masters might just be joining us in the 21st century!

Sadly…nope.

The supported evidence for #1 was just a bunch of calories in - calories out / myplate / low fat garbage.

#2 misses the whole idea that nearly everyone is gluten intolerant and if we’re having weight issues, shouldn’t be eating the carbs anyway.

#3, I have to give to them however. Salads covered in garbage grain oil based dressings are not healthy. Nice spinach salad with bacon, egg, vinegar and olive oil on the other hand…

(ianrobo) #2

OK this hit a sweet spot for me and especially number 2 !!

This is basically telling athletes to lower carbs, we all know gluten free stuff tastes horrible :slight_smile:

and check and search for top stars and check out for endurance ones just how many now claim to be ‘gluten free’ ?

(Ross) #3

I think maybe we should write up a response as LCHF Masters Swimmers & send it in.