3/6/2017 Continuing Steak Challenge Thread

challenge
steak

(mwall) #102

Sorry I meant from the last one…my bad. So sensitivity results from reintroducing plants back in the day. :wink:

(Meeping up the Science!) #103

Steak Challenge With Celiac - A Cautionary Tale

Woke up extremely swollen today and had gained ten pounds. Two days ago I wound up eating more than usual, 30 ounces of steak total, with extra fat. Thing is I ate out all day. at any rate, I ate some leftovers from two days ago (rib eye) plus some yesterday for breakfast. By noon my stomach was worse, and I had horrid diarrhea.

I called the restaurant. As it turns out, the spices (of course) had wheat. I basically have been eating gluten for several days. -_-

Fasted yesterday from noon-onward. Fasting today until tonight. about 18 hours later I’ve already lost 9 pounds. I feel 100x better. Going to have some lean sirloin I cook myself tonight.

Apparently my celiac is hyper sensitive when zero carb? Very odd, since I’d have made the opposite assumption, that eating wheat less would not matter. I guess I rejected the null hypothesis when I shouldn’t have :stuck_out_tongue:

Yikes, that’s terrible. Glad you are feeling better.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #105

I found I gained 4 pounds overnight from using sucralose (I tried it twice), I also found I reacted to egg white. Intestinal upset. Not the yolk though. Plants were fine.

I will be more precise with testing this time. It’s been nearly two years and my tolerances have surely changed.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #106

Geeeeze @Donna
Sorry you were ill!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #107

Day 15.
4:30 pm today. 4.5 ounces raw Wagyu with a new specialty salt I picked up.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #108

Day 15.
Grassfed Ribeye

(Jacquie) #109

Delish! :heart_eyes: Have you used that salt before? What did you think of the combo?

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #110

So sorry Donna, this is horrible to go through, and I’m happy you were able to pinpoint an issue. It’s even more frustrating when you can’t pinpoint a source. I’ve found the same reaction. I do not have celiacs, just the “fake” gluten sensitivity with severe joint swelling… If I’ve been fasting, ZC, or particularily vigilant on no processed food for an extended period I will have a very strong reaction to peeling a pizza, flavorings with wheat, and some foods processed on the same machinery as wheat like nuts.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #111

New salt.
It was delicate but definately lovely.
I eat raw meat on the regular. Wagyu is a favorite. So tender!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #112

Also cut the lean off a NY strip. Total meat today (heavy on the fat) about 24 oz. Much less than the first week.

So the steak challenge includes cubes? I thought it was only steak.

Not good! Hope your poor gut is feeling a bit better now!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #115

It fits. I chose a Wagyu ribeye from the meat case (you can see in the photo) and had the butcher cut it into cubes so I could eat it right then. No different than me cutting a cube size piece of a steak on my plate to consume.

Ground would be a completely different animal. I won’t grind the meat into ground beef. It would be digested differently.

(Roxanne) #116

Are you still dropping weight @Brenda? I know that wasn’t your intention with this challenge, but it was interesting to see nonetheless. Just curious if it has leveled off? (I may have missed it, have been away for a while).

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #117

@roxanne
Shark week.
Nuff said.

(Roxanne) #118

Ouch. Glad I was spayed long ago!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #119

Day 16.
Two small beef shank steaks, slow cooked for several hours, and a fatty portion of a sirloin steak.
19.5 total ounces mostly very fatty meat today. Much less total ounces of steak than yesterday.

Day 16 - ribeye steak cooked in tallow, with vitamins and minerals supplementation

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #121

Day 17.
Woke up hungry. This isn’t normal for me(exciting day for me yesterday might have caused this. See my Steak Journal). After a few hours the hunger did not go away, I ate an end piece off of a sirloin steak that was 3/4 fat cap. It was 4.5 ounces. Going to be at work out of town from 8 am to 5 or 6 pm today. Maybe later. Brought a 10.5 ounce piece of nicely marbled chuck steak with me.
No photos of the days food.
Maybe I’ll grill something pretty later. Lol