28 Day Fast for a 50 Year Old Newbie

(Douglas Reinhart) #21

Have you used keto or ph strips or blood keto monitoring?

(Doug) #22

I think it’s total marketing BS. Our stomachs are very acidic, averaging a pH of around 2.5. If we’re short on acid, it can contribute to problems with bacteria all through our digestive system. I think calling it a “fad” is being excessively nice. :wink:

(Douglas Reinhart) #23

That makes sense.Thanks for the informative response.

(Mike) #24

Titus, I have the blood pressure numbers elsewhere but never added them to this list. I would have to find them. I remember (this being about a year ago now) that the blood pressure normalized and is still very good, though I never had very high numbers to begin with.

(Mike) #25

Douglas, good job on your progress! I thought I would jump in to offer some thoughts. You mentioned overeating during your 8-hour window. What are you eating is the question I would ask. High fat, moderate protein (more if you are working out hard), and 50 grams or less of carbs… no sugar… no refined flour… you get the picture. You mentioned also the water fast and having a slight headache. My first water fast (the one I outlined in this post) had me initially very weak. I didn’t realize that I needed to add salt to my intake. So, now when I water fast I drink about a gallon of water a day and throughout the day (NOT in my water … ugg, hate the taste of that) I will take a total of 2 tsps of pink Himalayan salt. This keeps my electrolytes happy and my energy level is great. Finally, about your comment on when you get into ketosis. The urine testers are fine for those new to water fasting/keto eating. However, as the body begins to get better at processing fat as the main fuel, you won’t have as much spill-over of ketones into the urine. The body will be using those ketones more effectively. Newbies often get discouraged when their ketone levels go high … then down and stay there. I prefer the blood tester. Any reading over .5 millimolars when I am eating is good for me. Water fasting raising it, for me at least, within a few days to ever increasing levels.