23andme analysis

(Nanci O'Connell) #1

I remember it being mentioned on a previous podcast that Richard had his data from 23andme analyzed by another company. I can’t find the info on the company. Does somebody remember who that company was??

Try these:

Www.promethease.com

What are you looking for? I might be able to help.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

I use the promethease report. Just up load the text file from your supplier takes just mins. to get the results.

(Nanci O'Connell) #4

Thanks. I just pulled my Prometheus report. Looks like it is going to take days just to figure it out. Them I’m going to have lots of questions.

Just click into viewing the report, then on the right hand side use the first drop down to select “Personality”.

You’ll be on your way!

(Tessy M.) #6

Hey all! I’m thinking about doing this. 23&me offers two types of test. Normal ancestry and a Health + ancestry test. Do you know if the health option from 23&me is limited detail compared to the information that Promethease provides?

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

I took the same file that I ran through Promethease and ran it over at foundmyfitness.com for $10 you get a great report that is easy to understand and links to all the studies that helped them determine what they are saying about your genes and how to eat, etc. to take advantage of your new found knowledge.

I learned a lot from Promethease, but I really, really had to work to do it.

If the ancestry + health is less than $10 difference, just get them to do that part for you, but if it is over the ten bucks, I’d go with foundmyfitness report instead.

(Jane ) #8

I also put my results through DNA Fit. But 23 & Me just changed their API so its harder to input info into other sites…

(Nanci O'Connell) #9

I would like to try another. I found Promethease hard to read through. Are the foundmyfitness or DNA fit easier to read through?

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

foundmyfitness is super easy to use. I haven’t tried DAN fit, sorry no idea how easy or hard it is.

After the report is run from your file, it is in pdf format.

It starts with this:
Noteworthy
These genotypes are the ones that are potentially worth being aware of.

It then lists the genes that would have the most impact on issues, such as T2D, obesity, lifespan etc. It has information on what might cause you issues and what will help you resist the tendency of the genes. For example, If you have a gene & SNPs that impedes your ability to process chloline:
Dietary choline intake. Choline is found in foods such as eggs, meat, fish and cruciferous vegetables. Strict vegetarians may need to pay special attention to meeting their choline needs. The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) of the Institute of Medicine (IOM) has established the Adequate Intake (AI) for choline for men (550 mg) and for
women (425 mg) during pregnancy (450 mg) and lactation (550 mg).

Then the second part of the report starts with this:
Less noteworthy
These genotypes are normal.

This area also has some dietary and life style suggestions for your normal genes & SNPs.

I am finding the information helpful. I should do better with more balance between mono/poly and saturated fats. I am eating a lot of sat. fat these days, but will be dialing that down slightly. But eggs and fish are REALLY my friends, luckily I love them both.

(Nanci O'Connell) #11

I think I’m going to try it! Thanks