#201: Pennie Malone - Battling ME/CFS With a Ketogenic Diet

Originally published at: https://ketowomanpodcast.com/201/

Daisy's latest extraordinary woman, Pennie, talks about how she is battling ME/CFS with a ketogenic diet.

Pennie Malone is a 32 year old Brit from Lincolnshire who is currently living in sunny Crete. She is a student at the University of Worcester and is studying Human Biology, with an interest in Reproductive Science and ME/CFS epidemiology. In her spare time she likes to swim, paint with watercolour and listen to and narrate short story podcasts.

Links

The book that Pennie mentioned:

Dr Sarah Myhill Diagnosis and Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalitis 2nd Edition: It's Mitochondria, Not Hypochondria

ME Association Booklet – Long-Covid and ME/CFS

https://meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Long-covid-and-MECFS-April-2021.pdf

Reference Links:

Hickie I, Davenport T, Wakefield D, Vollmer-Conna U, Cameron B, Vernon SD, Reeves WC and Lloyd A (2006); ‘Post-infective and chronic fatigue syndromes precipitated by viral and non-viral pathogens: prospective cohort study’; British Medical Journal; Vol. 333 (7568); p.575-81; doi: 10.1136/bmj.38933.585764.AE

Myhill S, Booth NE and McLaren-Howard J (2009); ‘Chronic fatigue syndrome and mitochondrial dysfunction’; International journal of clinical and experimental medicine; Vol. 2(1); p.1

Nakatomi Y, Mizuno K, Ishii A, Wada Y, Tanaka M, Tazawa S, Onoe K, Fukuda S, Kawabe J, Takahashi K and Kataoka Y (2014); ‘Neuroinflammation in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: an 11C-(R)-PK11195 PET study’; Journal of Nuclear Medicine; Vol. 55 (6); pp.945-950; doi: 10.2967/jnumed.113.131045

Younger J, Noor N, McCue R and Mackey S (2013); ‘Low‐dose naltrexone for the treatment of fibromyalgia: findings of a small, randomized, double‐blind, placebo‐controlled, counterbalanced, crossover trial assessing daily pain levels’; Arthritis & Rheumatism; Vol. 65 (2); pp.529-538; doi: 10.1002/art.37734

Pennie's Top Tip

End Quote