20 day fast, AKA WTF was I thinking?

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #28

Yep, I mean I still maintain that the science isn’t with you on this one… it’s going to be hard for you to prevent muscle loss when you’re not taking in any protein.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Peanut butter used to be my demon too! I’ve since cut it out, and nearly 3 weeks ago I cut out ALL sweeteners. I may have finally taught myself how to enjoy coffee without additional flavour!

I decided today to start tracking macros and calories using MFP. Just tracking could help. I may try zero carb for a week as you suggest, that could help too. Sleep is a challenge - I’m seeing docs about it, fairly low quality sleep. I usually fast till 1-3pm each day apart from black coffee. Sometimes later.

Will def try alternative HIIT with walks. May also try a 48 hour fast at some point.

I’m lucky in that I had no really bad biomarkers before (except on/off issues with fatty liver/liver biomarkers being slightly elevated due to weight). My sugars weren’t a problem, although I suspect if I’d done an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test I’d have failed it, like most people. My HbA1c is 4.8, fasting glucose in the 80s, although nobody’s ever thought to check my fasting insulin.

If you have any further thoughts, let me know. And I’ll let you know when I’ve started dropping fat again! :slight_smile:

(Doug) #29

Gabe, have to laugh - I was going to say that a 48 hour fast would be a good compromise, since autophagy really gets going on the 2nd and 3rd day… :smile:

I have to disagree on autophagy - it definitely is a thing, Phinney or no. It’s a very important function for all living cells, a quality control mechanism for recycling damaged or defective proteins and cellular components. Christian de Duve, who coined the term “autophagy,” won a Nobel Prize in 1974 for discovering the lysosome, which is where the breaking down of the old stuff occurs.

Yoshinori Ohsumi won a Nobel Prize in 2016 for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy.

I do think that some lean body mass will start going after 48 hours, even after 24 hours or so - that’s autophagy getting to work on stuff the body is better off without. For longer term fasting and weight loss, skin is a big factor. Think of concentration camp victims who lost huge amounts of weight - usually there was no excess skin hanging around. Our skin is roughly 1/6 of our body weight.

(Tim W) #30

Great points OldDoug.

I’d add that skin is made up of protein, fats, and collagen, and the way I understand it, those are all things that the body will re-purpose (break down and use the constituent parts to make new cells) during an extended fast. Good point about concentration camp victims, it supports the idea.

Yet I heard him offer access to his clinical information if someone does want to study it.

(Tim W) #32

You are welcome!

I agree BUT, don’t get too fixated on them and don’t beat yourself up if over/under. Studies have shown that calorie amounts listed are often off by various degrees AND the BMR rates/rate at which our bodies burn calories is highly dependent on a tremendous number of variable like temperature/energy state/amount of various nutrients present in food and so on. Bottom line, it’s not an exact science, intake and calorie burn is more of a moving goalpost.

That sucks, I’m very sleep driven, a bad night of sleep and I’m “off” for 2-3 days. I ask this a lot, have you tried magnesium before bed? It often helps.

Studies indicate that fasting more than 24 hours raises andrenaline and HGH (which makes since, 20K years ago, if a caveman didn’t eat for three days the body compensated by increasing those so grog would have the energy to chase down dinner) which means that working out in a fasted state (say work out after 24 hours fasting and eat later that day or after 48 hours of fasting) should be an optimum work out condition.

Good numbers, I have to beg to get fasting insulin tests done, I appear to be healthy so what do I care what my A1C is or fasting insulin… medicine today… that’s a subject for another post.

I’ve got a little more free time today (and lots of mental clarity/energy due to fasting) so I’m doing a deep dive on the concept of LBM loss during a fast. I’m going to go back over some stuff and try to clearly state what is currently known/thought about the subject, I’ll try and post something of substance later today.

(Doug) #33

Good deal, Biff. (Totally love this stuff.)

Richard has a nice post here: Dr. Phinney's take on fasting (Good thread, overall, too.)

What really makes sense to me is that the more body fat we have, the less likely we are to burn good lean tissue. If one is down close to the normal lower limits on body fat, then if the body feels that “starvation” is the deal, and that it needs to burn lean tissue to keep the brain, heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, etc. going, then yes - it’s going to do it.

I picture it as an exponential deal where LBM loss is zero or close to it when very substantially overweight, negligible when moderately overweight, and then really ramping up as one approaches 4 to 10% body fat for men, and 10 to 20% for women. I’m picking the lower end of those ranges as where it’s “essential fat” that’s necessary for the proper physiological operation of our bodies.

I listened to Dr. Phinney’s presentation, and he says that after so many days (30?) the lean body mass loss declines to 1/3 lb. per day, whereas it starts out at 3/4 lb. per day on the 2nd or 3rd day of a fast.

There must be further moderation of this, or else it’s not entirely healthy muscle mass. Consider the guy who fasted for 382 days, going from 456 lbs. to 180 lbs. Never have seen anything to indicate he had lost valuable lean mass or was in any way “lacking in muscle” at 180 lbs.

@ron-coleman fasted for 46 days, and @JorgePasada went 60 days, and I didn’t see any concern or mention of LBM losses that were of any concern.

I’ve lost 50 lbs. with a lot of fasting, anywhere from 1 day to 5 days, over the past 5 months, and while I’ve never had any body scans, etc., for lean mass, my grip strength is exactly the same, as measured by the ‘Captains of Crush’ grippers that I’ve got. More subjectively, once in a while I lift heavy and awkward stuff in the course of my job, gas cylinders, our own equipment, etc., stuff in the 110-160 lb. range, and I feel the same as ever.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #34

@gabe, I see you would like some science to show that a person does not burn excessive muscle (protein) during an extended fast. Dr. Jason Fung has an entire Blog post entitled “Fasting and Muscle Mass” that you can check out with numerous studies referenced for you.

This graph shows the nutrients that are oxidized (burned) during a 30-day fast. It is easy to see that glucose oxidation goes way down as we would all expect and protein oxidation goes down significantly as well. In a fasted state our bodies burn mostly fat and ketones.

From “Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation,” Dr. Kevin Hall, NIH

Another interesting chart is from Dr. George Cahill, the father of starvation (fasting) research in the 1960’s into early 2000’s:

This chart shows the amount of urea, the result of oxidizing protein, decreases very dramatically when in a fasted state.

I encourage you to read the blog and check out the other studies he uses to show that fasting does not result in major muscle loss. I will conclude with this quote from his post:

BlockquoteMuscle gain/ loss is mostly a function of EXERCISE. You can’t eat your way to more muscle. Supplement companies, of course, try to convince you otherwise. Eat creatine (or protein shakes, or eye of newt) and you will build muscle. That’s stupid. There’s one good way to build muscle – exercise. So if you are worried about muscle loss – exercise. It ain’t rocket science. Just don’t confuse the two issues of diet and exercise. Don’t worry about what your diet (or lack of diet – fasting) is doing to your muscle. Exercise builds muscle. OK? Clear?

I like that, “Good Fasting.” It’s like Battlestar Gallactica’s “Good Hunting.” I hereby declare it a thing. Good Fasting to all.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #36

So say we all!

(Doug) #37

(Tim W) #38

Good stuff everyone, love the dialog and the open minded points of view.

My paver contractor showed up out of the blue today and I have been outside for most of the day. I’m getting a really good deal on replacing an older section but it involves me doing some of the work. Doing demo on a paver deck is not a lot of fun four days into a fast BUT, I think the moderate level of exercise will continue to ensure HGH/andrenlanie will stay eleveated, preventing LBM loss and keeping things rolling.

I’ll have to post another update and my analysis of the Phinney video later this weekend.

(Tim W) #39

Day 5/20 is coming to a close.

Did not sleep well last night, calf cramps and calf spasms kept me tossing and turning most of the night.

We hit the ground moving early and have just sat down for the evening, another day outside, browsing at the home good store and cleaning the house.

Hunger has been 2/10, energy level fluctuated but was pretty strong for most of the day.

Planning to relax most of the day tomorrow, love me some Sundays.

I upped my potassium today and am about to take a 400 mg mag to prevent the cramps but I think it’s probably not going to stop until I take a full day off my feet.

Happy Saturday everyone.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #40

I see you are working your potassium and magnesium, are you also taking 2.5 tsp of salt, minimum,each day? Salt actually regulates all of the electrolytes.

(Tim W) #41

Thanks for the reminder Ron! That’s a good point and to be honest, I was behind in my sodium. I’ve taken a couple of hits since earlier today and am nagging my wife to do the same so she doesn’t get behind like she did a few fasting periods ago, she waited too long between sessions of taking her sodium and had to stop fasting for a few days, re-feed, and then start again, with extra sodium, we both know the lesson but can be bad at following the rules that we know work.

(Tim W) #42

Sorry I’m just now getting back to this, been very busy the last few days, that’s a good thing because it’s made the days go by, it’s been rough a few days though, every is great when moving around but runs out kind of quick. I have a theory that fat takes longer to burn/process and when we run out the process of burning the “next” pound in order to re-fill our stores is noticeable and one of the things that makes this tough.

Going forward with my response, a few assumptions/biases/general thoughts:

1. Studies are flawed in lots of ways, the list can long. I don’t want to get into “your study VS my study” but I still think that that studies are a guideline rather than something to be followed as gospel. For example, a study is written, it is flawed, the abstract is sensationalized so it’s published, the media gets a hold of it and by the time we are reading “sugar is good for you!” (and not taking the time to read the actual study) the data/info/truth is far from clear.
  2. We all suffer from biases and psychological failures, we often seek confirming evidence and once we form an opinion, we find it hard to stray from that. I’ll admit I’m as guilty as this as anyone BUT I try very hard to be open to new ideas (like switching to a keto diet…) and know that I can fool myself easily (Richard Feynman’s quote) but I try to do diligent research and form my own opinions/seek good data/evidence.
  3. Because of the factors above, I maintain that to find out what works for ME I need to do a series of experiments and dial in what I can do, ignore much/most of the “noise” in nutrition/health/fitness and confirm what’s best for me, and realize that it might not be the best thing for my spouse, my kids, my neighbors etc.

That’ said:

Reviewing Phinney’s video, let’s consider a few points:

Phinney discusses 5 peer reviewed studies when making the following points:

• Zero concerns with a fast up to 16 hours but one or more of the studies he’s referencing involves protein malnourished patients (I get plenty of protein when eating, I feast before going into a fast including consuming protein shakes.)
  • Fasts over 48 hours, body breaks down some protein for gluconegensis, this process increases over 4 days when it levels out over 4 days and slows down to 1/4 pound of LBM per day.

I fasted for 15 days in Mar/April. Taking Phinney’s numbers I would have lost 14 pounds of LBM during that time. Considering that I started that fast at 165 and ended at 153, I don’t think that all 12 pounds were LBM, a good amount was water weight, some of it was surely fat (my pic in earlier post was post 15 day fast…).

Continuing the point above, Phinney says that most healthy human can tolerate this level of LBM (I’d maintain that his numbers are “high” and it’s obvious most healthy folks can tolerate it… look at all those doing it on this forums and others like reddit etc).

• Phinney states that metabolism goes down due to long fasts, that it will drop 25% within a week or two of total fast. Not sure what study this comes from (I could not find them/got tired of looking) but if it’s from the study involving protein starved patients, how does that apply to me? (lots more issues about studied used in a bit). I personally have not seen this slowdown, it would lead to weight gain when eating “normal keto” post fast. I can easily control my weight post fast, beer causes it to go up, not drinking beer results in maintaining weight. Phinnney says resting metabolism will only go up when sodium is reduced (not sure where this was going). I might do some more digging on this idea in the future.

Now- back to the LBM concept. Phinney is using the studies that discuss nitrogen loss (it’s a proxy for protein loss). One of those studies had 14 patients, 9 obese and 4 non-obese, one was “protein free” (whatever that means). This study of 14 patients can’t be a proxy for every human, it’s a guideline and something to “jump off from” but I refuse to accept that the data from this one study is enough info to ignore my own results and scare anyone from fasting. If I remember correctly, another one of the studies only had 9 patients total, once again, low numbers that have (in my estimate) a very near chance of being a proxy for how my body, with all it’s unique variables, will react to a long term fast. Phinney does say that obest people were relatively protected from the nitrogen loss when fasting, for what that’s worth.

Other notes, he discusses:

• Re-feeding (be careful)
  • Autophagy- he says it’s an ideological term that he doesn’t put much stock in because we turn over cells daily and he says that he doesn’t know if cleansing (fasting) is any better than keto levels (high) of beta hydroxybuterate but, he doesn’t have a definitive answer. Response: Phinney admit’s he’s not sure and leaves it open. Taking this into account with the information/POV of Jason Fung, Rhonda Patrick and plenty of others, I think there is plenty of evidence and support that autophagy is real. In my own experience, I’ve felt the best in my life 2-4 days post fast (due to creation of new cells/mitochondria once the feeding begins?).

Lastly, having read Art and Science of LC living by Phiney and Volek, they discuss how the average person has over 40K calories available to them (from stored body fat). If our RMR were to run 2K cals, then shouldn’t we be able to go 20 days on that? This doesn’t take into account working out when doing a long term fast but if the idea of “using” that 40K of calories while on a keto diet works, why doesn’t it “work” when fasting?

Having used an IF/fasting/Keto protocol for over a year now, and having exercised a great deal/and for long periods, while fasted, maybe I’ve acclimated my body and Phinney’s concern about LBM doesn’t apply to me, I’d submit that it won’t apply to everyone, if not a very small portion of the population, as long as you are not truly starving or living on a VERY low calorie diet for long periods, and THEN fasting, then Phinney’s referenced studies/points just don’t convince me.

I hope this makes sense and doesn’t ramble too much. I’m at that point where I can’t sleep that well due to very high ketone levels and, when awake, have a very clear mind but some difficulty with communicating effectively (a little scatter brained/hard to focus at times).

I’ll come back to this and try and clean it up over the next few days.

Cheers to all, six days almost down, only 14 to go!

(Mike Glasbrener) #43

I’ll toss in another thought or two. The way studies are crafted are exceptionally difficult and can really affect the interpretation of those results. I’d be willing to bet that controlling for pre fast macros and caloric intake prior to fast wasn’t well controlled. If you are Keto and fat adapted I bet your body switches to burning body fat quite easily. This is my personal experience. Fasting is quite easy for me for 1 or two days. I’ve never gone longer for social reasons. If you are a carb burner and fast I’d bet the first time you fast you body goes under much more stress scavenging glycogen and once that’s gone it’s trouble. Perhaps those individuals are more predisposed to burning more LBM thsn fat adapted individuals.

Again looking at how studies are crafted and how what they’ve chosen to control may affect the results is really important.

(Tim W) #44

Excellent points! I would agree with you and I’d bet money that fasting after a keto diet and becoming fat adapted is VERY different from fasting after a carb diet.

We started fasting before going keto, it made the first several days (2-3) some of the most miserable days of our lives as we cleared the body of excess glucose, if nothing else, it was much more difficult psychologically.

Great points Mike, thanks for adding to the discussion.

(Bella Tricks) #45

in a ketovangelist podcast i just listened to, Megan Ramos talks about how to find the salt level for you. Upwards of a tsp to a tsp & a half (for short fast) Or 2 tsp and up for EF.
… At 26min 20sec.

7 days down! Go you two!

(Tim W) #46

Good stuff BellaTricks, thanks!

I’m always having to remind myself to keep taking the sodium, we tend to forget when our energy levels are high and then get behind, leading to a crash. Between the sodium and the supplements, you really have to stay ahead of things are a fast can easily go into a spin.

Thanks for the kind words!

Day 8 begins.

(Tim W) #47

Dawn is rising on day 8 (not really, getting a lot of rain here, a tropical depression, nothing like Texas though!). Did not sleep that well last night, this usually happens for a night or two, followed by a night of deep sleep.

Day 7 was spent at work, grocery shopping, working out back on the deck and prepping the yard and home for the wind and rain.

Energy levels were low when not moving, they tend to stay that way now. If we sit down for any period of time we can do mental tasks (we did our taxes after 12 days of fasting last year, seemed to work out…) and just relax, read a book, surf the net etc. But, as soon as we get up, and wait for the head rush to clear (or just stand up and don’t move for 30 seconds) and start moving, the low energy state makes you want to sit down. If we keep moving, we find the energy to keep doing what we are doing, working outside/mowing the grass/exercising etc. This is why Phinney and Volek suggest sodium 30 minutes prior to working out and a long warm up when eating keto, it’s even more important when fasting, to get some sodium and then a nice long warm up before doing any physical activity, and then it’s possible to run/lift weights/rake leaves etc.

Hunger levels have been 1/10 up to 3/10, no higher than that. Sunday I cooked a weeks worth of food for kid, including bacon in the house, burgers and chicken on the grill, it wasn’t easy or pleasant but at no time was I unable to pass up sneaking a bit. We’ve been to a grocery store several times in the past week and bought food for kid, no big deal, no over-purchasing has occurred. Yesterday while working in the yard I smelled someone else baking and someone cooking out, that led to about a 3/10.

I will say this, the food dreams have started, I’ve had one the last couple of nights. In addition, we are at that point when we are reminded of all of the ways food is tied into our society. Watching regular TV (who does that anymore) results in being inundated with food commercials, reading a magazine results in seeing multiple adds for food/snacks/booze etc, you really have to work to isolate yourself from all the food porn and can’t escape it in some ways (buy screws at home depot and you have to ignore the food and soda stand at the checkouts…).

We are holding in there, almost half way! I’m so grateful to have the flexibility in life/work/home/family to do something like this, I realize not everyone has the right situation/circumstances (job flexibility/family support/good health) to do something like this, but, I don’t know that I’d say “don’t do it” to anyone who was healthy enough and had the right situation and support system, it can be a very empowering thing.

Happy Tuesday everyone!