20/4 Fasting for Health & Weight Loss

I do similar and feel great even with lots of exercise. Maybe more like 7pm to 11 pm which I know is not ideal…

I have to share that my boss said today: “I might not be myself in this meeting because I’ve been fasting (for a Dr.'s appointment) since 9 AM.” It was only 2 PM…

I think it’s amazing how attached to eating people are. Like they’re going to die if they don’t eat!

(Arlene) #62

Eating is a strong survival instinct that we’re all born with. Under normal conditions, the only foods available would be plants and animals, AND you would have to do the work of gathering the plants and hunting the animals. There would be strong motivation to eat “just enough” and preserve the rest for future meals, especially knowing food wouldn’t always be available.
We do not live in “normal” conditions anymore, at least most of us don’t. Humans have to adapt to this modern world, which is exactly what us ketoers are trying to do. Us ketoers are trying to eat the diet we are designed to eat, in a strange world where processed foods occupy 90% of the space in our easy-access grocery stores.

it’s very hard to avoid the processing for sure and it’s a huge part of our culture(s).

I like how keto and IF just put you more in touch with your hunger for real nutrition rather than the ‘low blood sugar’ feeling that sugar burners need to use!

(me) #64

ok, so I guess I will tell my story and then ask for some advice.

I am doing keto and IF to reduce inflammation as I have degenerative disk disease and usually constant pain. I have had my lower back fused, carpal tunnel release X2, trigger release, and two new hips with continued pain.

I read that insulin causes inflammation.

I started with a 14 day green juice fast to get rid of toxins.
Then 10 water fast to get in to ketosis.
Then 23 hour a day fasting.

I do 3 grams of niacin followed by sweaty exercise and activated charcoal every other day.

I have lost 52 pounds in 90 days, and enjoy 3-4 pain free days a week. If I eat even 20 grams of carbs I get pain pain pain. If I could be stronger I could eliminate carbs all together and probably do very well, but I am weak.

My morning Ketones are 1.2 mm/mol
Ketones during the day will sometimes get up to 7.0 mm/mol before I eat.

2 hours after meal, I will be at .4 to 2.4 mm/mol ketones.

Thats me. any questions you think I can answer, go ahead.

My questions…

At 20 hours I always seem to convince myself to eat, and then I tell myself, tomorrow I am going all the way to 23 hours but it rarely happens…at the 20 hour mark, I usually have 20 GF crackers with hummus…I would like to skip that and wait until dinner.

My hunger does not start until 18-20 hours in to the fast. Any suggestions on beating the devil here?

And…hmmm…I can’t remember my other question.

Thanks

(me) #65

From what Ive seen, the body does not use muscle for energy if you are fat adapted and have body fat to burn.

See Dr. Fung “why the body does not lose muscle while fasting”

BVB

I am trying to reply to other posts but my replies and up down here at the bottom of the thread…Not sure what that is about. Sorry for any confusion this causes.

(me) #66

I was mistaken about amounts of protein

(William Shafer III) #67

Yes it is hard to explain to your kids why they need to eat while you are eating nothing. Especially hard when they want to share high carb food with you.

…have been doing 20/4 every day for about a month and losing weight and feeling good… what are the best meal plan(s) for lean muscle building and optimal fat loss during the 4 hr. eating window?

(Mike Atwork) #69

I’d be be on the cautious side of eat-as-much-as you want. For those with a former eating problem, this could be a potential issue. Best to count calories the first week or so, so you see portion sizes, as well as getting a feel for macros in certain food. For those who’ve never looked at caloric density of foods might not realize that a few handfuls of nuts, or an extra serving of pasta can easily add up to 500 calories.

Other than that, Retired is spot on!!

I’m doing 22:2 but find I can still not lose or gain a little if I let myself go wild even though still keto. Nuts are my downfall, I can easily eat more than a cup, thus lots of carbs and protein. Also real easy to overdo protein from meat and cheese. Avocados are probably the perfect 22:2 food as they are satisfying and mostly fat. Big salads are good too and you get your greens. OMAD Revolution blog states to eat ONE platefull of food not more than 3"high. Good advice cause otherwise I tend to just graze for 2 hours which can be a lot of food with wrong macros.

Overall I think OMAD will be my default 5 days a week with 16:8 on weekends.

(Brooke Morrow) #71

Just a little info I read from a naturalpath online. When your fasting is to add salt to a cup of warm water and drink it when you feel hungry. This rejuvenates you and takes away the hunger. Hope this helps you.

Hello,

I am another one who is switching from OMAD to 20/4. On OMAD I was feeling stuffed eating all my calories in one meal/hour and did not enjoy life the last few hours before a meal.

So now switching to 20/4 IF and following keto. Eating 1500 calories seems easy on 20/4. My eating window is either 12-4 or 2-6 PM. Breaking fast with a glass of warm water, with a teaspoon of ACV and a teaspoon of lemon juice to prime the gut for the food to come. Following with fat coffee (1 tbs coconut oil and 1 tbs butter in an oversized cup of coffee) and one medium avocado. Doing this allows me to keep my main meal down to a single plate, which was impossible on OMAD.

Then an hour before the end of my feeding window I have my main meal. Another avocado, eggs, one chicken leg (drumstick and thigh) (alternatives are a can of sardines, 3-4 oz minced beef or salmon, bacon strips), some spinach, sauerkraut, a dollop of mayo and two cheese sticks - this is usually what I eat to meet my macros (75g protein, 25g net carbs, 117g fat). Drinking close to a gallon of water with some salt for electrolytes.

To keep myself accountable I track calories and macros in myfitnesspal.

Starting at 106 kg at 5’9", I am a big guy, aiming to go down to 80 kg (this time for good).

(Rose T) #73

Good info,ty