20/4 Fasting for Health & Weight Loss

(PJ) #1

This thread is for those who are currently following or wanting to start a 20/4 hr fast. From a previous thread, we thought it would be nice to have a group to support each other and talk about our progress in doing this woe. Ask questions, report your experience on 20/4 fasting or just give support to others. We are all in this together!

(PJ) #2

I have to admit that I am loving the way I feel. Even though I have measured and lost inches it a great feeling to actually feel those inches and lbs gone. Since I started fasting there are no cravings at all. I actually have to pre-plan my meals just to make sure that I have the right things to eat. I think that is a key component of this woe plus drinking a lot of fluids. I plan moving from 16/8 Sat and beginning my 20/4. Looking forward to hearing from everyone else on their results. i.e. cravings, not hungry, getting full, sleep patterns, etc

(PJ) #3

I just read this from http://ketodietapp.com/ and wanted to share:
The idea is that you should be eating ad libitum (as much as you want) during your “feeding” window, but you should not eat or drink anything with caloric value during your fasting window (black coffee or tea sweetened with stevia or Erythritol are allowed). You should be aiming at reaching your daily macronutrient targets and without restricting yourself - simply eat to satiety.

If eating ad libitum means that you may not meet your macronutrient targets, that’s just fine. Your appetite is what will determine how much you should eat. Aim for your daily protein intake and use fat as a “filler” to sate your appetite while keeping carbs low (20-30 g net carbs).

(Retta Stephenson) #4

@retired Do you have a set time day for your eating window?

Due to my schedule, mine starts at 5pm, ends at 9pm. But I’m not sure if I can sustain that, unless I can finish all before about 8. I try to hit the sack about 10pm. So, if I’m still eating at 9, it’s uncomfortable going to bed with food so recently in my stomach.

I’d love to hear how others approach that, especially those that by necessity need to have their eating window in the evening.

I always seem to get hungry in the morning, so when I’m doing 20:4 is usually between 4:00 am and 8:00 am, so no bedtime problems for me.

I seem to be the opposite of most people since I can easily skip lunch and dinner after a big breakfast.

(PJ) #6

I usually eat from 10-6 when I am doing 16/8. I will be doing 2-6 when I do 20/4.

(Sondra Rose) #7

I’ve been eating this way for a few years. It’s so freeing!

For awhile, I aimed to meet protein macros, but over time I have found that my body knows best. I keep a variety of Keto (mostly ZC) foods in the fridge, so I can eat what feels good. Some days are higher protein, other are higher in fat. I am only 5 pounds from my ideal weight/body composition.

(PJ) #8

And this is exactly what I want to get to. SondraRose, we will look to you for support if that’s OK?

(Sondra Rose) #9

I’m happy to share my experiences, PJ.

Ultimately, I think everyone needs to experiment to see what works for them. We all come from such different places in terms of nutritional repletion, food sensitivities, etc. What works for me may not work for someone else. :slight_smile:

(PJ) #10

Well, I got my food in tonight and am feeling like I ate way to much. Did not finish what was on my plate “again”. Just trying to get some protein in. Barely made it to 60 grams of protein today. And, I made pork belly! It was good but could not eat my serving. My husband says I ate about 150 g of meat and it was really good. Is anyone else having this same problem? I don’t feel bad but will try and spread my food over the 4 hrs more to see if that helps.

(Sondra Rose) #11

Wow, 60 gms in one meal! Yeah, I tend to eat two meals during my window. And sometimes I graze…

I’m a smaller woman with a small stomach!

If I feel truly hungry outside my window, I will eat a small amount of protein, like some crispy bacon, cottage cheese or an egg. I usually end up doing 18/6 on those days. No stress.

I am interested in fasting primarily for appetite suppression. I had great appetite control the first couple of months of Keto but it seemed to creep back in but adding fasting has helped a great deal. I normally do 16:8 but would like to lengthen to 20:4. I failed miserably at ADF!

(PJ) #13

I spread the meat out over a few hours not at one sitting. Sorry about that. So you don’t eat 20/4 everyday? I plan on eating little bits over the 4hr window today to see how it goes. Got up this morning not hungry. Are you getting at least 60g protein each day?

(PJ) #14

Hi ketogurINE, I am doing the 20/4 and the only problem is getting 60g of protein in. In all the information that I have read it states that you should get 60+g of protein in to prevent your body using your muscle mass for energy. I am still tracking my food just to keep me straight and help me monitor my protein. Lets keep track of each other and see how we do.

(Sondra Rose) #15

I probably eat 20/4 all but twice a month. I am not religious about it, it just works best for me if I keep my eating window small.

Yesterday, I added up my protein after the fact and was just around 75 gm. This is perfect for me. Some days I might get 40 and some days 100. It all works out. :slight_smile:

(Sondra Rose) #16

Oh, I also change the timing of my eating window, depending on my hunger. I usually eat from 10-2, but because I work from home, I can flex as needed.

For example, today I wasn’t hungry in the morning, so I held a client session and took my dog to the dog park. I ended up eating at noon.

So my fasting window will increase or decrease from 20 hours, but I keep my eating window fairly consistent.

Great topic!
20:4 is hopefully my fasting sweet spot. I have this perverse worry that I will be setting a bad example for my young daughters if I fast through dinner (the only meal we eat together during the week) or even lunch on the weekends. They are 2&3 and I don’t think are ready for an education on insulin. I say perverse worry because I truly believe we have not been served well by living in a society that pushes frequent eating as a means toward good health.

In reality this is probably me rationalizing my commitment fails on ADF. I’m going to stick to 20:4 this week and see how it goes.

(PJ) #18

Hi KetogurINE, just set your food window for when its best for you as a family. My window is 2-6pm but I will change it as needed. Especially if we are going out for dinner. I may then fast a bit longer to give me the time needed.

(PJ) #19

SondraRose, so you are getting your protein as needed. Today I am roasting pork and chicken and will measure out what I need to meet my proteins. I just want to do this until I get a good handle on what I am doing. All part of the learning process for sure. Its good to be able to hear how others are doing.
I am finding that I am having a slight issue with bowel movements. Just wondering if I need to take something for that or is there something I should be eating to help me go?

(Sondra Rose) #20

Sufficient water, dietary fat and Magnesium are the key to normal elimination.

Keep in mind that you may not need to “go” everyday if you are mostly eating animal foods, since they are more fully digested than plant foods.