2 weeks in, gained weight?

(Rob ) #1

Hey!
I’m a 33 year old male, starting off at 275lbs. I’ve been a fat carbaholic with a belly since I was a child… decided to go Keto and cut carbs except from
Veggies/dairy. Been gaining weight for years and decided enough was enough. My diet was like 95% carbs for life.

For two weeks, I have eaten strictly keto. I have had the keto flu (headaches and drowsy for 2-3 days), my wife complains about my nail polish breath, and I am rarely hungry…

But I have gained 3 lbs?

I eat mostly bacon, guacamole, sausage, scrambled eggs with spinach, heavy cream and stevia in my coffee. Cucumber and peppers and various meats… lots of cheese and milk is probably my only back-door carb entry.

Any advice for me? My mom was in the same boat as me, except older obvs, and has lost 15lbs in about a month.

Thanks!

(Athena) #2

Beware of sausage! I was eating it too, until someone here warned me about it. I then asked my butcher to see the ingredients. All the sausage at my grocery store contains sugar and/or dextrose!

(Michelle) #3

cut out dairy milk. too carby. how much water are you drinking?

(Brian) #4

As Athena said, milk may not be such a good thing to be drinking. Also, you can overdo the protein. Too much will get converted to glucose, and then you’re headed back to sugar-burning.

If you have an Aldi, their sausage is just meat and fat. Comes in a 1lb chub and costs $1.99

(Rob ) #6

Ok thanks all!
I think I’ll stop drinking milk and replace it with water.

Good to know about the sausages too, I never thought about that .

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Make some ketoaide to drink to combat the keto flu stuff.

Check your protein the only time in the last year my husband said I needed to brush my teeth was when I was over eating my protein.

Milk has never been on my list of things to drink since I refused the bottle at 6 months, that stuff is nasty tasting, it should all be made into good cheese and yogurt.

Starting out it is best to stick to aged cheeses, the soft cheeses have more carbs. (Cream Cheese and Cottage cheese do seem to be ok for most people early on) After fat adaption, you can add in the softer stuff like brie, etc.

Good luck and keto on…

(Rob ) #8

Thanks for the great tips!

(Khara) #9

Also, watch for changes in the way your clothes fit as opposed to the scale. Any pants you can’t button? Try them on now and then and recheck. Best wishes!

(Saleem) #10

Are you working out.resistant training.

I would suggest to track body fat / Body fat Percentage. i had a friend who also complained about gaining weight after comparing her before and after body composition it turned out that she had gained 2 to 3 LB of muscle mass and lost .5% of fat.

I would also recommend that you start implementing IF either the 24 hour fast or the 16-8.

Also please dont give up,it takes most people up to 4 to 8 weeks till they are fully fat adapted.

Good luck

(Louise ) #11

Some great tips here - you’re definitely in ketosis, as you’ve got some of the tell tale signs - flu and breathe. Consider also tracking your intake. The reason is, part education of various foods and then finding what your threshold levels are for carb tolerance. Apart from weight gain, how are you feeling? Any energy buzz improved mental clarity? Other non scale victories (NSV) is to take a weekly picture, say with the same shirt, and measurements. The scales lie big time!

(Allan L) #12

I gained 6lbs in my first month of doing keto but lost inches around my mid-section, then the weight just started falling off. I now average 2lbs a week

Once fat adapted I introduced intermittent fasting (Only eating between the hours of noon and 6pm) and then moved to alternate day fasting. This really helped break through the weight plateaus. I also tried fat only days to break the plateaus.

Use online tools like www.fatsecret.com to track your macro’s and watch out for any hidden carbs!