2 Keto Dudes Episode 211

This week on the 2 Keto Dudes podcast: The Incredible Edible Egg! Carl, Richard, and Carrie talk eggs. This is eggsactly the show you’ve been waiting for all these years! Tune in: https://2ketodudes.com/details/211

(Allie) #2

I’ll have to listen to this one as I have eighteen hens currently who are averaging ten a day :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Bob M) #3

Wow, impressive. What do you do with all the eggs?

(Bob M) #4

By the way, they discuss the color of the egg yolks. But, I’ve heard that color is also influenced by the breed of chicken. That is, two different breeds of chickens can have different colored egg yolks, even if they eat the same food. Not having chickens, I can’t verify this, though.

(Allie) #5

Whenever there’s so many that there’s no space on these, I find someone to give a dozen to, or crack a dozen into a big bowl to feed back to the hens.

Bertie has about four a day, I use about the same most days.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I’m sure that’s true. But diet influences the yolk colour a lot, too. And the colour also seems to change a bit with the age of the egg.

One of my uncles used to have a battery egg farm, and the eggs took a fair amount of time to make it from the chickens to the grocery store. I noticed, when we visited, that freshly-laid eggs look and taste a lot different from eggs bought from a store at the end of a long distribution chain. (And apparently certain recipes don’t work as well if the egg is not of the proper age.) I brought my ex for a visit once, and he couldn’t stand the taste of a freshly-gathered egg; he simply had never experienced it before. “Farm-fresh” isn’t always just a marketing term.

(Bob M) #7

I have heard that about the age of the egg making a difference in a recipe, but I can’t remember in what recipe.

If I ever get chickens (doubtful due to the number of predators around), I would look into getting the crustacean feed they discussed on the show. Maybe I could market my chickens as “all animal feed chickens”? :wink: (Though I’d probably have to give them some grains, too; I’d just select low-PUFA grains.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Chickens will eat pretty much anything you give them, including chicken meat, so “all animal-fed” is a distinct possibility.

If left to themselves, they will eat mostly the bugs and worms they dig up while scratching, and I suppose that would qualify as “mostly animal-fed”? :grin:

(Allie) #9

The yolk colour is diet and the health of the bird. My girls are all rescues and I use the colour of their yolks to judge how they’re recovering. Always pale at first, but fixed easily (usually). The shell colour is influenced by breed. One of my “posh”’rescues lays white, another lays green, the little reds lay different shades of creamy brown, sometimes with speckles, most often not.

Yes - and can we use this thread as an opportunity to again refute that widely-held and persistent (albeit rather odd) belief that brown eggs are somehow more “natural” and “healthier” than white eggs. :roll_eyes: It’s the breed of the bloody chickens, people!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Wait a minute! You mean they’re not??!?? :frowning:

Next thing I know, you’ll be telling me that chocolate milk doesn’t come from brown cows, either . . . sheesh! :grin:

(Bob M) #12

Carrie Brown’s comment about leeks was interesting. She really likes them.

My wife and I were in a vegetable CSA at the local farm and had a half share. The thing that made us quit was leeks. We got a ton of leeks, and had no idea what to do with them.

The other thing that caused us to quit was we got too many vegetables (even in a half share), and you have to clean then and plunge them into ice water and dry off pretty much the day you get them. Otherwise, they go bad pretty quickly. We threw away a ton of vegetables over that time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Lots and lots and lots of cock-a-leekie soup? :grin::rofl::grin::rofl::grin::rofl:

(Bob M) #14

I know now there are more recipes with them. I just made this last night:

The adults liked it. The kids, of course did not. (NOTE: probably higher carb, as she’s paleo, not keto.)

But I can count the recipes I know that use leeks on (less than?) one hand…and there were so many leeks. :wink:

I love leeks and I basically use them in place of onions in quite a few recipes, particularly soups, and eggy or chicken-y things. Just having them as a vegetable side dish is nice too - they cook down quickly in just a wee bit of stock, and then you finish with a blob of sour cream.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

The problem with this vegetable is that if you want to ship them across the ocean, they make the boat leeky.

(I’ll just show myself out, shall I?) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Butter Withaspoon) #17

Usually, if you take a leek you feel better.

(Allie) #18

I have tried leek, and am happy to leave it on the shelf.
It’s maybe not as high up on my “avoid at all costs” list as celery and parsley, but definitely doesn’t make the list of green stuff I’m happy to eat. It’s kinda just like onion (same family I believe) but lots milder flavour.

Is there a max limit on how many you should have? I’m testing this, as 6 eggs fried in coconut oil has become my go-to lunch since I started work-from-home last year. So far so good.

Leeks I love but with eggs? Not so sure.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

No more than 20 g/day. Less, if you plan to eat other carbohydrate as well.