2/28/2017: Brenda & Donna's 30-Day Steak Challenge

challenge
steak

(Meeping up the Science!) #263

My heartburn goes away when I eat zero carb with minimal salt. What are you eating and what are you putting on it? are you eating dairy?

(dawn.hakala) #265

the only"dairy" I was taking in when mine hit was my almond milk splash & my tbsp Kerrygold butter for my coffee since Iā€™m also going totally sugar free. it does seem the more protein/fat I take in, the more I get acid reflux. This week, no eggs and only steak to test that out on me. I wanted to test steak & eggs one week to see how I react, no big dealā€¦ down 10# since Monday :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #266

Day 6
14 oz fatty NY strip. Rare. 3:30 pm.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #267

A variety of salt helps me keep my sanity. Lol
My favorite is the kosher flaked salt in the bamboo salt box.

(Meeping up the Science!) #268

Try meat without dairy for 1-2 days. Dairy is notorious for giving some people reflux.

(dawn.hakala) #269

With these brontosaurus steaks youā€™ve been eating, am I to think youā€™re only eating once a day usually? just wondering cuz the protein kick on this bad boy is high and thinking I shouldnā€™t worry about going over fat or protein during this trial?

Day 6 - braised beef shank

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #271

Sweetheart, Iā€™ll be damned if I count macros OR stick to IF this month.
NO IF.
NO Macros.

FUCK THAT

I eat whatever kind of steak I want, when I want. Though I am keeping track to add it up later for the helluvit, IDGAF about macros. This is about eating only steak and drinking only coffee for thirty days, and seeing what happens with blood glucose, blood ketones, breath ketones, bodyweight, body measurements, blood pressure, blood oxygen, pulse rate, and any other measurements I can come up with. I did ā€œtrickā€ my GP into doing a basic blood test when I started last week to check vitamin levels, etc. Now to outsmart her and get her to test me again at the end of March, along with lipids again (I had a full panel at the first of the year).
The lipid profile at an independant lab was costly for 2 or 3 panels. Iā€™d rather buy a DEXA scan right now, and save the rest of my cash for KetoFest!
Iā€™ll do @DaveKetoā€™s lipid panel with his protocol later this year. Likely repeat this whole experiment. After KetoFest.

ā€¦so many experiments, so little time and $$$ :zornface:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #272

Day 6
I may or may not have stolen the bone marrow out of 3 beef shank steaks and eaten it raw just now.
With salt, of course. Iā€™m no barbarian.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #273

Day 6
Two hours ago (before the pilfered marrow) I grilled a bone-in ribeye. Bone weight, 3 oz.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #276

Down ANOTHER pound this morning. Remember, Iā€™m not doing this steak challenge for weight lossā€¦
I SWEAR I am eating as much steak as I want, yesterday nearly TWO POUNDS plus raw marrow I stole out of three beef shank steaks. Lol. Most days are two pounds or more of beef steak. Nothing else. Only coffee and water. No spices, no sweetener. Ketones keep going up, blood glucose and blood pressure keep going down. MY BODY LOVES STEAK.
I am amazed.
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

(Meeping up the Science!) #277

Iā€™ve never followed macros except to limit carbs. I donā€™t appear to be protein sensitive, though. Of course, I also donā€™t eat gigantic amounts of protein and everything I eat has fat.

Weighing again tomorrow!

@Brenda, this is fascinating and inspiring! One question: I know youā€™re only eating steak, salt, water and coffee, but wondering if you take any of your regular supplements (though not sure which, if any, you take regularly.) I have been trying to read through all the posts, so apologize if you already addressed and I missed it. Thank you for this experimentation and for sharing the details so freely, and I canā€™t wait to see how the rest of the month goes for you!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #279

Yes! I do. Iā€™m not at home or Iā€™d give you milligram amounts, but I continue to take my B complex, multivitamin, calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, and I also have been experimenting with 300mg of vitamin B1 daily for the last few months.

(Lucrecia) #280

Fascinated by all of this! Thanks so much for doing this people! I have a couple of questions Brenda:

Can we add beef tallow to this experiment in order to combat the excessive leanness of meat in these parts?
Also, would it be okay to buy the cheaper cuts of beef steak and then pop them in the slow cooker rather than grilling or pan searing?
Would it be okay to eat the non-grass fed stuff? I try whenever I can but itā€™s slim pickings where I live (oh the irony of living in Texas and struggling to find quality beef!).

Iā€™m seriously considering doing this prior to my next round of lab work in Aprilā€¦

And I LOVE the cheap beer cooler version of a sous vide! What an awesomely clever idea. Am definitely going to try this.

I have been frying my steaks in homemade rendered beef tallow for this experiment this month.

I donā€™t like eating beef from limited parts of the cowā€¦as in just the fatty steaks. I like to eat from all partsā€¦this includes lean steaks, as well as the other uncommon bits, like liver, tongue, heart, etc.

I donā€™t have scientific studies to back this up, but my gut tells me that it is not wise to eat from the same part of the animal, all the time, every day. Also, I donā€™t take any mineral or vitamin supplements at all. Just whole foods. So, I need to forage for nutritional variety.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #282

What you add is entirely up to you. I wanted my parameters to be very narrow, so I do not add fat.

How you cook your steak is open.
After 3 days of pan frying/grilling, I was already bored, so I slow cooked a couple beef shank steaks in the oven for 4 hours at 225*F (I browned them first). Iā€™ll be doing the same tonight with 3 beef shank steaks I purchased yesterday.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #283

Day 7
12:30 pm
I was hungry.

LOL
I do that too! Never thought to add salt though (to raw marrow)ā€¦have to try that next time.

:slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #285

Looks yucky.
Will taste like butter after 5 hours.
Beef shank steaks, browned in a cast iron Dutch oven, covered in a preheated 225*F oven for 5 hours. I stole the marrow for a snack last night. Lol
Will be fork tender like the best pot roast when done.