1st Month Stall - Slow Progress

(Jordan) #1

I started Keto 4 weeks ago. I have about 80 lbs to lose. I lost only 6 lbs the first 3 weeks, which I am glad to lose, but seems pretty slow for getting started. Many reported 8lbs in just water during the first week. No NSV either. All measurements exactly the same. The only real victory is I have finally seemed to make this WOE my habit. This last week and a half, I havent lost anything, infact I technically gained a pound. Anyone else have this expirience? Should I add some cardio? The only other think of is I have an infected toe nail. Very very minor, but I read aomewhere this can sometimes slow (not stop) progress. Thanks for any advice.

(David) #2

Hi Jordan. More experienced ketoers might have better advice, but like you, I am only a short time into this way of eating. When I started I expected a fairly linear fall in weight after an initial surge and when this didn’t happen I looked for reasons. While I was looking for reasons some more weight came off. Now it has stopped again. What I am trying to say is that although there may be things you can change to shake things up, it might be that we have spent so long eating ourselves into a place we don’t want to be, that climbing out takes time, and healing from the inside takes time too. As long as your carb intake is low enough and your fat intake is high enough, time might be the elusive third ingredient. Good luck.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

This addresses your issue. 4 to 6 weeks is a common stall point.

(Jordan) #4

Thanks Chance and Brenda. I forgot all about that episode. Time for a little IF I guess…

What does a typical day of eating look like for you?

(John) #6

My wife didn’t lose much of anything for 3-4 weeks and was kinda bummed, then it all fell off at once, mostly inches then pounds.

(Jordan) #7

Typically breakfast is hit or miss. Sometimes I will have 3 eggs with butter and cream cheese, or as little as coffee with heavy whipping cream. Lunch is usually a salad with a HFLC dressing. Dinner is usually a ribeye smothered in butter. I usually eat between 6 to 10 ounces. I will also drink a Diet Coke or two per day. Also, usually about 2 string cheeses somewhere through out the day as I’m hungry.

(Jordan) #8

That’s what I wanted to hear? How long did the plateau last?

(John) #9

Just the 4 weeks or so, it has been pretty steady. I was more of the ‘typical’ success story, 55 pounds in 4 months, only about 8-10 more in the following 5 months but I am near the end.

(Jessica ) #10

Some people have an issue with the sugar substitute used in diet soda, it could be causing issues. I had to give up soda completely and stick with coffee.

(Jordan) #11

I’ll give it a go. I thought aspartame was ok, but I can go without it.

(Jessica ) #12

For some it is. Every body reacts differently to different sugar substitutes. I have also noticed my weight loss slows down when I’m not getting enough water. How much do you usually drink a day?

(Mary 🌹 ) #13

I use intermittent fasting along with this “WAY OF EATING” (WOE). I eat at 8am (if I am hungry) and stop :red_circle: eating at 2pm. There’s a lot of time…till 8am the next morning . The body can stop processing food…and work on FAT BURNING!
(I started out S L O W. I moved my breakfast back in the beginning a few hours at a time.)

What your going through happens to MANY…in the beginning. Keep doing it. Under 20 Total carbs.*

(Mary 🌹 ) #14

I just heard on the Radio, that drinking Diet soda each day makes people 3X more susceptible to Dementia. It scared me about my FRIENDS!

(Jordan) #15

Wouldn’t you know it. I am always learning. I went back through my notes and realized I had stalled for almost 3 weeks, however this week I lost weight everyday. Thanks for the advice and support, I am excited to see how this week goes.

(Dustin Cade) #16

I’m giving a full month of no sweeteners a go to see how I feel, I don’t use them often but it’s becoming more frequent…

(Jason) #17

@jmbundy – sounds like you and your wife had a lot of success. Did you and your wife stick to the recommended macros for your bodsy size exactly or did you simple just eat keto, not worrying about counting exact ratios and amounts of fat/protein?

(John) #18

I tracked really well for the first 2 months learning what was in the things I wanted to eat, and not a lot after that. I tend to eat the same things so I know ballpark where I am at on things. My wife ensures <20 carbs and after that doesn’t care.

I dropped fast and stalled for quite a while, not sure what all was involved but I believe part was too much protein and not enough fat, been dropping well since that.

She doesn’t track as I mentioned but has lost 26 pounds since Jan 1 and dropped from a size 10/12 to a 2/4, not that I really know what that means!

She gets way more comments than me.

(Jason) #19

26 lbs is not that much weight for a heavy person but for your wife that could be a lot. I think you mentioned earlier that she lost inches but not weight at first. How long was she stuck at the same weight and how did she break out of that?

(John) #20

4-6 weeks, she does lazy keto and doesn’t weigh often so not 100% sure how long it lasted, and KCKO fixed it.