1st month in, a little frustrated

(Chris Robertson) #71

Dr Fung says multiple times in The Obesity Code that after your body realizes it has an alternative fuel source (stored fat) the body will raise your resting metabolism when fasting.

(Championsidewinder) #72

Restrictions are stupid, when we all are just trying to find out what’s going on with our bodies doing keto, then get cut off and not able to find that person again or have no idea where to complain about the restrictions, so that’s why I am texting here because this stupid site is a confusing mess, sorry but am going to leave this site because trying use it sucks

(LeeAnn Brooks) #73

There’s a category called Site Feedback.

I believe that is where you should post your grievances.

(Championsidewinder) #74

Ok well I don’t need to go there to know the site sucks, hell I can’t even figure out how to leave or quit this crap lol

(LeeAnn Brooks) #75

I’m confused. If you don’t want to participate, just stop responding.

(Doug) #76

They should go away really fast, however. It really doesn’t take long before those posting restrictions are lifted:

(Amanda) #77

Loved this! I never knew how to explain the “knock offs” to my friends who want me to make food “like they have”.

Awesome!

Update and question. I’ve been doing very good ramping up my calories, even though it’s been very hard. Eating Keto keeps me pretty full. I’ve stayed off the scale and definitely feel the weight has come back, which is depressing. I’ve gotten rid of everything carb in the house so my husband is losing weight even though he isn’t really trying to diet, he’s still drinking sweet tea and snacking at work, you can add another level of frustration to that. It’s scary not knowing how much more weight I’ll gain before it kicks in.
So my question is, I’ve stopped doing the keto sticks since it was more than likely reading my lack of calories. If I use a keto stick every few days or once a week, would it start to lighten as I move out of starvation and then start to darken as I move into ketosis?

stick to it, you maybe gaining muscle mass as the visceral fat on your internal organs is being eaten away, all progress is not on the scale.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #80

The pee sticks are really only good for one thing. Telling you whether you are or are not in ketosis. They aren’t reliable enough to get much information from the color of them. As long as you’re showing pink, you’re fine.

I thought pink was not in ketosis

Oh okay, I just checked my strips, pink good, beige not. I tested myself, still pretty dark maroon.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #83

You won’t get any color at all if you’re not producing ketones. So if it’s pink, you’re in ketosis.
There is an optimal range for fat burning, but the stocks aren’t reliable enough to determine that, and they only measure what’s wasted, not what’s produced. Your body may be burning some.
And even if you’re not in the optimal range, you’re still in ketosis and can burn fat, you just may not be quite as efficient as if you were in optimal range.

Personally I don’t worry about it. The only thing I need to know is if I’m in ketosis.

Question, If not in ketosis what do you do about it. Not like eating something is going to change it. Or do you use this to know you did not eat right?

Actually not even worried about being in ketosis right now, just curious how to tell when I’m not actually in fat storing mode. How long before my body starts to trust me. It’s stubborn and holds grudges.

(Lisa D) #86

Jojok - i’m 51, 5’7" weigh 137 and my initial goal of keto way of eating was to get to 127. Like you, I restricted calories forever and whatever calories came in, I tried to exercise out. I was always tired, injured and hungry/hangry. After being keto for a tad over a month - I’ve gained a couple pounds, have lost a couple pounds but feel energetic, much better menopausal moods (which is HUGE for me) and am rarely hungry. I eat about 1600-1800 calories a day - which they tell me is still low, so working on eating more too. I used to try to stay below 1200. My most recent weigh in (I do it once a week) I was down 3 lbs (now at 132) from previous weigh in … could be from a multitude of things, could be from my keto WOE - I thought it would be higher b/c I “porked out” - literally on chichirrones the night before!! it was down! ha. Anyway, my point is … trust that it works, eat more, get your metabolism going again - you will probably gain weight at first but eventually you will lose. Eventually you will get your head around eating so much fat too. Hope to hear back from you.

(Emma Cohn) #87

800 calories a day and fasting is probably not enough energy for your body to live on. Especially since you are only in the first month of keto, your body needs more time to adapt to burning fats. When you restrict calories that much your basal metabolic rate slows down to conserve energy. You may already have a very slow metabolism since you have tried calorie restricted diets before. There are many stories here of people losing weight while not eating at a deficit. There are some stories even if losing while eating at a surplus. 6lbs lost in a month is 1.5 lbs per week average. That’s not slow or insignificant weight loss. Stick with it and eat enough protein, less than 20g net carbs and fat to satiety and you will be fine. Best of luck.

Update, over the weekend, Fri-Sun, I was able to keep my calories up for the first time over 1,000. 1,100-1,300+. Carbs kept under 25, fat between 80-100. I am finding ways to get my fat up so it will get better. Now that I’m eating I’ve downloaded some kindle recipe books. Still haven’t been on the scale. My clothes still fit, so I haven’t ballooned up too much! Visited my sis over the weekend, and she is also on low carb diet. She is doing low cal/carb, no fats(she said progress was slow). It is weird us both dieting and me eating the whole time, especially during the meals she was skipping, she just looked at me like I was stupid. :wink:

(KevinDV8) #89

Losing 6 lbs in a month is terrific. Multiply that times a year. I have been in ketosis for 32 days and have gained 2 lbs. I have listened to every 2ketodudes podcast to keep inspired. I have type 2 diabetes and take no meds. Since being keto for 32 days, my blood sugar has dropped to about 150. That may seem terrible, but it was 300-400 every day. So I have learned that I have to not eat carbs even though I have no weight loss. I am hoping that eventually this will work.

(Ron) #90

I am T2d as well and it took 10 weeks for the scale to start moving. The body was busy healing other thing that were more important. My blood sugar is under 90 now and I’m down 50 lbs so it does happen.:slightly_smiling_face:
Stay strong!