140 hour fast blood glucose and ketosis

Hi everyone,

Can someone explain to me after a 5,5 day fast my measures are blood glucose 71mg/dl and my ketoses are 0.5 mmol. I have been in higher ketoses the last half year and now losing some muscle and lot of weight (55 pounds).

(bulkbiker) #2

How are you measuring the ketones?
Blood sugar looks great though…

(Bob M) #3

Ketones, if you measure them by blood, should be higher than that. How much higher depends on you. I fasted 4.5 days and got 1.9. Most people should get more.

You should lose some muscle if you’re down 55 pounds, as you need less muscle for walking, supporting your weight, etc.

My readings are done with a blood glucose finger ketone stick. Is there any science that if you are under the 4% body fat that your ketone levels are low? Even after 5,5 day fast.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

Are you saying that you check ketones with a finger stick?

Did you test throughout the fast? I’d so, can you share your numbers?

(Tony ) #6

Myself, as someone who can never seem to get any meaningfull keto blood level results ( .2 to .5 is the general range ) no matter if my carb intake is near zero on a daily basis, I have been told that I am most likely making ketones and then burning them all on production for fuel . I have also tried a longer fast ( no where as long as yourself though ) and that makes no difference. I am pretty active though and have lost 66 lbs since starting , so something worked just fine. I do quite a bit of gym / and manual work, all fuelled on basically no carbs. Maybe im good at converting fats into glucose as well, I dont know what, but something is working just fine !!! My weight has been stable now for 10 months, no matter how much keto " approved " food I eat.

(Bob M) #7

You have the same “issue” I do. After 6 years low carb and (re)gaining a lot of muscle mass, I get these (to the right of time: ketones from home, blank, ketonix breath ketones, blood sugar, notes):

I do get slight higher ketones at night, or if I fast a long time (the above were during a fast). Otherwise, I’m basically 0.2-0.5 in the morning.

I’ve also lost around 60 pounds and (re)gained about 10 pounds of muscle.

Nice work, by the way.

This are my data from the last 6 months.

(Bob M) #9

Nice data. This shows how fat adapted you’ve become.

By the way, I’ve tried to test a bunch of stuff, such as whether eating late causes a higher morning blood sugar rise. I’d say, “Look at that! I ate later yesterday, and my blood sugar is (on average) higher today!” But then what happened is I’d find an exception to this rule. Then another. Then another. Then another. Sometimes, my blood sugar rose, sometimes it did not.

And I got the same for whether protein affects ketones (? not sure, especially since my ketones are always low); protein affects blood sugar (none that I can find, including overall rise the next day – I see none); etc.

The only rules that I think are true: (1) Fasting 1+ days causes a temporary decrease in morning blood sugar and higher ketones, both of which go away relatively quickly once I eat; (2) The more I exercise, and exercise can include doing work on the house, the more my overall blood sugar goes up, including morning blood sugar and consequently HbA1c.

This week after 92 hours of fasting again a reduction in my ketosis. Namely 0.3. Only drink green tea and water. For electro just Himalaya salt/LoSalt and magnesium citrate.

(Jenna Ericson) #11

Am I misreading this, or are you really saying you have less than 4% body fat and you are fasting for 5.5 days? Jesus, why!

I don’t think there is an exact upper limit to how much body fat you can use per day, but lets say you only have 7 lbs of body fat. You might think, well if a pound of fat equals around 3,500 calories, that means I have plenty to tap into (24,500), but I don’t think that’s how it works. I can’t imagine with that low a percentage of body fat you would be able to access more than 600 calories from fat in a day, meaning the rest would come from muscle and at the same time I think your metabolism would be slowing to try to conserve energy. Is there a reason why you are doing such long fasts and do you feel terrible during them?

(Philip Bradshaw) #12

Which app are you using, please?

(Philip Bradshaw) #13

I understand that the max use of body fat is 69g/kg body fat/day. That’s plenty for me but not, perhaps, for you.

Simple: Target from July was lower fat percentage. I have gone from 15 to 4% and have lost 30 kg. Now I want to make lean gains based on keto / IF. I train 4x a week which (fitness) means that I have 3 days of rest. These days I am fasting because I do not use energy. I feel great with this way of fasting. I am flexible in it.

I am using a blood glucose and keto meter with the SmartLog app.