12 days and gained weight! HELP

fasting
macros
phinney

(Adrienne) #1

It’s been 12 days and the scale is going up instead of down. So frustrated. I’ve gained 4 lbs total. Here’s the kicker, I am in ketosis according to the “unreliable” strips. Have been pee’ing all the time, so water weight should have factored in too. At first I thought I was going over in carbs when some nice folks corrected me to count net carbs. Which I’ve been hovering around 17-22g net per day. My carbs come from bacon which someone on MFP said is 1 carb, cream cheese, 1 carb, one romaine leaf 1 carb, etc…the rest is from the good veggie list and/or meat/coconut oil fat bombs. So my curiosity is this…I’ve scoured the forums and there’s so much debate. For someone like myself, who is morbidly obese, I am near 350lbs…and want to lose at least 1/2 my body weight. Not sure about BMI, guess that I’m at 60%. So, how should the macros be tweaked and what should I be doing? I’ve been doing 70/25/5 fat/protein/net carbs. Also, I naturally do IF so that’s been a player every other/every few days. Thanks I need sound sage advice. One thing is happening, my knee and joint pain has subsided and feel better. EDIT: My IF is 16/8 eating only during and 8 hour window. Also, I’m not new to low carb/high protein however had been eating more Gluten free carbs in the past year (brown rice, rice chips etc…). Been gluten-free and sugar free 97% of the time for 7 years. What is new is the increased fat/macros and returning to almost low/no carbs.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Have you checked the actual label on the bacon against what MFP shows? The bacon I eat has NO carbs.

(The Lowkster) #3

While doing 24 hour IF and doing Keto my weight still climbed a bit whenever I overdo my feeds, so look at the whole IF-Keto thing as a tool that you can use rather than a magic bullet. In the end energy balance does matter, so it would be good if you can add to the post the amount that you have been consuming during your feast or eating window to debug the matter. I found that for myself to move that stubborn weight needle I had to resort to alternate day fasting.

(Renee Slaughter) #4

I too gained weight when I restarted my keto plan. It worried me at first but I remembered what the Dudes always say Keep calm and Keto on. I track my food and macros and over the course of the month of December I loss 2 lbs. Over the course of November I lost 3 lbs. To date I lost 10 lbs but my weight fluctuated over the months. Don’t worry just remember moderate protein, fat to satiety and carbs under 20 grams. Trust the process and be patient. Keto works

(Ken) #5

You’re fine. Try to relax, you’re doing everything right. Eating bacon and other salty foods will cause water retention, no big deal. The first few weeks is the major adaptive period, so be calm the first three weeks, then consider adjustments.

(Adrienne) #6

I agree and concur. I find many mis-labeled nutrition items in MFP and have now become diligent about checking everything. That said, with those possible errors, I am still at or perhaps then, even more under 20g net carbs.

(Adrienne) #7

Intersting, I’ve been eating for the most part around 11am and stopping before 7pm. 16/8 IF…

(Adrienne) #8

Sage advice…if I do have to adjust, which is the crux of my question where do I adjust? So many differing points of view on that. Increase/decrease calories, Increase/decrease fat, Increase/decrease protein…one thing no one say is increase carbs so I got that :slight_smile:

It took me a long time to lose weight. Uh, I was still drinking wine. Duh. Be patient!

(Andrew) #10

Your cells have been starving since you are surely insulin resistant. Now they are getting ketones. So you are packing on lean body mass and losing fat. Kcko

(Whitney ) #11

Your best bet when searching or entering food into MFP is to use the Barcode scanner in the upper right hand corner. Scan your package of whatever your eating and VIOLA!! Reliable info is in front of you. I NEVER use what other people enter into MFP. I either enter my own, (EVERYTHING I input starts with my name so it’s easliy findable next time I eat it) or I use the Barcode scanner.

(Adrienne) #12

Genius coding with your name! I just keep saving to “my meals” category as regular items I eat or things on MFP I’ve verified.

Maintaining randomness with IF is important (as Dr. Fung, Megan Ramos, and Cristi Vlad point out) - rather than a daily practice. Like 4-5 days on and 2-3 days off - to keep the body agile and responsive.

I think can be important to mind the protein - as this is a moderate protein path not a high protein one. Protein does raise insulin levels, which can be an issue if you have a slow metabolism and are very early into ketosis. Then again, if you’re doing weekly strength training with weights, it may not be a issue. (Also, for those with deranged metabolisms or who’ve been on prescribed hormones etc it may take months to get “fat-adapted” - not sure if that applies to you or not).

If you haven’t seen this community education video by Nurse Cindy - check it out! While increasing muscle weight, the fat cells swap out fat for water/lymph before dropping the water weight. So the scale will not show what’s happening!!! Hope this helps:

(Liz ) #14

The other thing to think about is when you are eating within your eating window. Megan Ramos suggests that, for example, if you are eating twice within your 8 hour window, each meal time last no more than 90 minutes each, and no snacking in between. You have to give your insulin time to lower.

(Troy) #15

A thought
What about changing this up or occasionally?

For example : eat at 12…then eat your last meal at 6

Then slowly get the last meal to around 4 or 5😆 ( then some bone broth from 5-7, if needed )

(Renee Slaughter) #16

Mary
Thank you for the video link. I understand that the scale is a lying liar that lies. I’m trying to change my focus from the numbers to NSV. This helped

It’s not just about macros. For many people (myself included) calories matter. If I eat too much (regardless of macro composition) I will gain weight. And I’m not a slow loser.

Also, some people are so metabolically deranged that extended fasting is required. I’ve had fast, efficient weight loss using this, even though my metabolism wasn’t severely screwed up.

I’ll ask the obvious question; how many calories are you consuming each day?

Very easy to be in ketosis and gain weight with excess calories.

(Adrienne) #19

Well, I’ve Keto calculator shopped and decided to go by “veto-calculator.ankerl.com”. Initially, the results had me at 1780 calories. I felt that was too much. So after this post and what 4dml just said above, I increased my fat deficit to 41%. Now I’m at 1562 calories, 20g, 98g protein, 121g fat. No problem staying within that.