10lbs of Chicken Thighs for $9.00!

(Windmill Tilter) #1

It’s hard to beat the humble chicken thigh when they go on sale. It was 90 cents a lb at my local grocery store, so I bought 10lbs for $9.00!

I baked them up, shredded the meat into 8oz servings to freeze. Then I threw all the bones, broth and fat into my pressure cooker for 2 hrs. That yielded 2 quarts of jello like broth for breaking fasts. These were put into four 16oz mason jars and frozen. After all that, I still had 1lb of “chicken ghee” aka schmaltz which is a yummy and frugal substitute for butter and has a good shelf life in the fridge. That’s enough food for a week for me!

Strangely, one of the thigh’s is missing that wonderful crispy skin. Nobody will fess up though… :yum:

(EKR) #2

Awesome! (and I swear I didn’t snitch that crispy skin… honest!)

(Adriana Gutierrez) #3

What a bargain! But I woukd have saved some of those thighs for a oven baked version of ketoconnect.com’s Butter Chicken. https://www.ketoconnect.net/keto-butter-chicken/

(Door Girl) #4

Yummy! When I find bone in skin on thighs for cheap I make a thighs version of Alton Brown’s Buffalo wings. I steam the thighs for 10 minutes, then put them on a baking sheet with a rack in the fridge for at least an hour, then bake them nice and hot for 40 minutes. And of course I use his super buttery buffalo sauce, though I also made a pretty awesome paleo Asian sauce last weekend that I need to do more often.

I’m doing bone in skin on breasts the way you did those thighs for ready to eat chicken instead of rotisserie chicken. I figure since I use the cut chicken breast to dip in blue cheese dressing I’m fixing the fact that they are a little low in fat. :slight_smile: Easy and so much cheaper and better for me than the rotisserie crack.

(Cindy) #5

Yummy! I bought chicken quarters a few days ago. 10 lbs for $4.99. Bought 20 lbs because not only will I eat some of it, but it’s for the dog’s raw food diet. :smiley:

(Windmill Tilter) #6

Nice! I totally should have done that. I’m a big fan of Alton Brown and Kenji Lopez of the Serious Eats blog. Those guys leave nothing to chance in the kitchen! :yum:

Here is a link to my favorite wings recipe from Serious Eats. The wings are amazing and definitely worth trying!

(Carl Keller) #7

If you have an Aldi near you, they have great deals on Kirkland leg quarters @ 89 cents a pound.