10 day fast attempt Journal

(Charlotte) #1

For the last month I’ve only lost 1.5lbs. The month before that it was 3.5lbs. i’ve definitely slowed down a lot in my progress which is usually 6-8lbs a month. So I decided to take a stab at a 10 day fast. I watched Fung, Ramos, and Eve Mayer’s youtube videos and figured I’d give it a go. I’m almost 8 months keto, lost 55lbs so far and i was doing a 20:4 IF inconsistently because I have been listening to my body and eating when I’m hungry. The longest I have been able to make a fast last is 36 hours which tells me that after my 10 day attempt whether its successful or not, it’s time to switch from a 20:4 to a 36x3.

So here is my attempt. I started the clock on Wednesday night, and on Thursday morning I started my day out as usual with my version of a BPC, and quickly found out that the hwc in my coffee will stop autophagy, so I restarted my count from when I finished the coffee (sadface) and decided I would go straight water and salt. So since then when I feel super hungry I do 1 tbsp ACV in a cup of water and chug it. Then I chase it with 16oz of water with 1/2 tsp salt. I keep hydrated through out the day with plain homemade iced black tea… If I feel I need a little flavor I’ll make Lemon or Raspberry Zinger Ice tea. I have also been drinking flavored sparkling water.

Day 1 was easy. If I felt hungry, I did my usual ACV w/ salt water chaser. After watching videos I knew the BPC I had would keep me satisfied for 6-8 hours.
W: 192.6lbs, BG: 81, BK: 1.7, GKI: 2.65, GKI Ratio: 48.

Day 2 was a bit rough. I was getting hungry and my usual techniques weren’t satisfying me very long so I started cleaning my house to distract myself. That worked and I got a good amount of cleaning done that I have been avoiding far too long. My stats were good yesterday.
W: 192.5lbs, BG: 73, BK: 1.9, GKI: 2.13, GKI Ratio: 38

Day 3 just started and it’s going well but I’m getting hungrier much quicker than the last 2 days. I have had a light headache, but no other issues. Hopefully this day is the worst and I hit the “feeling awesome” stage of an extended fast. Still doing my usual ACV w/ Salt water chaser 3-4 times a day and drinking my iced tea and sparkling water in between. So far so good. I check my stats midday because I have dawning phenomenon and I tend to peak around 2pm. If I can successfully complete a 10 day fast and with good results then I will keep doing 10 days fasts. I’m losing weight a lot slower than I expected, but 1/2lb is a normal daily loss for a woman doing a fast. So I’m not worried about that. I just want to get passed my 191lb hump by the end of this fast which has been a sticking point for me the last month. So here’s hoping.
W: 192.0lbs, BG: 66, BK: 2.6, GKI: 1.41, GKI Ratio: 25

(Susan) #2

Good luck with this fast @Luckymisslucy Charlotte!

I hope that it goes well, and you can make it for the 10 days, and break your plateau =).

(Charlotte) #3

Thanks! I am determined. My willpower just needs to be more stubborn than my hormones. :slight_smile:

(Charlotte) #4

Well, crud on toast!! I had to end my fast at 3 days. My body was not handling the ultra high ketosis at all. I started extremely nauseous and had no energy to move, my head was pounding, and my leg muscles ached. So it was a no go, but hey… You gotta practice EFing. Its something you have to build up to over time. I was just a little too ambitious. No worries here. :slight_smile: At least I know now I can do a 36x3 without breaking a sweat!

(Susan) #5

Congrats on the three days, Charlotte. You are right about building up to it. I did a bunch of 24’s and 48’s first, and then my 72’s (3 of them now) and one 74 as my longest. I find it hard to do longer than that right now with having to make food for my hubby, kids and grand daughter. I am hoping to do lots of 72ish ones that will help for Autophagy benefits though, I think it all pays off! Good luck on your next fast. It is so important to always listen to our bodies =).