10,000 steps: Not quite magical when it comes to weight

(Kent) #1

So this is an interesting study.

As we all well know, “You can’t exercise your way out of a bad diet” - Dr. Mark Hyman.

Maybe not magical, but a heck of a lot better than being sedentary.

This is true, but it’s also true that if you’re looking for truly good health, you can’t diet your way out of a lousy lifestyle…

I have to walk 7500+ steps per day for circulation. Legs start to hurt if I don’t.

Accountants rule the world.

Was it Jason Fung who said. Exercise for health,not for weight loss.
I think the 10000 steps comes from the simple fact that most people won’t reach it unless they exercise. Just a normal routine won’t reach it

Dr. Jaime Seeman said, “Yo make abs in the kitchen, and muscles in the gym.”

(charlie3) #7

But burning more calories by activity makes everything else easier. Two years ago I could burn 500 calories daily by activity. Today it’s 1,100, about 40% of total calories. It’s easier to get micro nutrients and avoid hunger with extra calories. For the 6 warm months last summer i walked 2 hours a day, 50-60 miles a week (typical for a mail carrier, I’m not one). So far this winter I’m mostly doing 2 hours on an airdyne with low heart rate training similar to endurance atheletes.

My preferred way to reduce weight is to eat maintenance 6 days and nothing 1 day a week. It takes some grit to do that, with or without exercise. Put all that together, I’m healthier, hunger is confined to a schedualed time and I’m losing about half a pound a week without daily hunger.

Charlie, it makes me think of what some of the trimmer and strong doctors say for people in or near maintenance size that can do exercise: it depletes muscle and liver glycogen and builds muscle mass. Then a natural cycle of liver glycogen depletion and restoration occurs daily, without too much excess glucose being converted to fat and stored.

Over-fat people, and I particularly use that term because overweight people may not be over fat, can try and practice for the day when they are motivated and psychologically benefited by increased activity, by following an intermittent eating plan such as 18hrs not eating every 24 hrs (18:6) .

10,000 steps a day is only beneficial in context for those that can do so without mental or physical injury, and/or no spike in appetite that drives cravings and over eating high carbohydrate stuffs. I remember days of a 1hr swimming session daily wrapped in a 1hr walk (total) to and from the pool. My appetite was monstrous.

High Intensity training may be better for appetite control purposes, while creating that glycogen wave form chart.

(Bunny) #9

Hmmm tap dancing comes to mind? Lol

I seen him live many times.

How to get your thousand steps in a day when your bored:

(Bunny) #10

If you think about it maybe protein is what burns carbohydrates and fats even your own body bark, you could be on a high protein diet and fast at the same time??

(charlie3) #11

Start at less than 10,000 and work up. As far as appetite, what we’re about here is minimizing carbs to help with appetite. Walking keeps the working muscles below their aerobic threshold meaning the first few minutes may use glycgen until fat cells can start releasing fat for fuel. As we know that may not happen if blood sugar is high which would be the situation if a person is eating carbs or overweight. There are endurance atheletes doing something called low heart rate training, stay below the aerobic threshold, hold a constant heart rate and over time the body will burn fat more efficiently. I’m using it but walking or airbike, not running. During those days when you were swiming and walking were you eating carbs? The closest thing I get to high intensity is lifting sessions, about 35 sets per week spread over about 100 minutes. I’m becoming a firm believer in sub maximal training most of the time. So sure, test your limits, but not very often.