#1 rule of fasting by Dr.Jason Fung

As per his usual plain speaking manner, Dr Fung talks abou being safe and using common sense when fasting
https://idmprogram.com/1-rule-fasting/

(Bunny) #2

Good Mantras:

“…During the fasting period, the body must survive on the nutrients and energy stored. If you have lots and lots of body fat (stored food energy), then you should be fine. If you do NOT have lots and lots of body fat, then it’s NOT fine. It’s stupid. …”

”…Further, people undertake extreme fasting without any kind of preparation. Instead of undertaking shorter fasts and gradually extending it, they immediately opt for a full on water-only extended fast. This is like a rookie mountaineer that decides that he/she will tackle Mount Everest, without oxygen and push on to the summit irregardless of weather. The experience mountaineer would immediately recognize this as a death wish, but the rookie has no inkling of the dangers and may come home in a body bag. It’s pure stupidity. Yet fasting clinics promote this very same idea. Taking the most extreme fast (water-only fasting, as opposed to allowing some bone broth or some caloric intake), to an extended period of time (30 days instead of 1-2 days), in anybody irregardless of whether this is medically appropriate, without any adequate medical supervision or access to bloodwork? I can tell you right now, that’s pure stupidity. …”

My Mantras:

”…intermittent fasting – generally of shorter duration done consistently and frequently. …”

”…allowing some bone broth or some caloric intake {keto bombs too in my case})…”

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #3

I wish I could say that keto bombs worked for me (outside of eating time).
That said, I guess the occasional latte with heavy cream at Starbucks counts as a keto bomb. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Bunny) #4

Bullet proof coffee my favorite! (use to hate coffee)

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #5

A very sensible post by Fung, and frankly something I’ve been a bit worried about lately. Fasting has become more popular lately and I’ve seen the number of people discussing long 30 day extended fasts increase which has been worrying me. Especially when it’s their first fast. Thankfully there’s not much of it on this forum and people who do do extended fasts here are experienced fasters, but it’s been depressing to go on other forums and see beginners ask about how to best complete a 30 day fast. It’s not uncommon for them to not be that overweight either. When I suggest they rethink I get attacked by both the OP and by other members of the forums. Hopefully I can point to this post by Fung calling them stupid from now on.

It isn’t the fasting that worries me (unless they are severely underweight), it is the refeeding period that is the danger zone, IMHO.

Always best to refeed with gradual food intro and attention to electrolytes. But you rarely see it promoted. It always amazes me when I read about people who break an extended fast with a huge meal or takeaway. That is just so stressful on the body, in so many ways. Phinney has started to try and publicise the risks of this as a counterbalance.

I have no axe to grind in this, since I use intermittent fasting regularly, but have never tried a fast longer than 48 hours (and that was linked to illness). So can’t speak from experience. But I know that if I do ever go longer than 48 hrs, I will consider the reintroduction of food to be more crucial than the fast itself.

Agree - I too get concerned that there are folks that are jumping into the deep end of the pool too soon. However there is somewhat of a protective factor that if you’re not appropriately fat adapted, an overly ambitious EF is likely self limiting. But there is a difference between those who are looking for support to achieve a particular goal - and those whereby it seems to be an unalterable competition. For me one of the most significant things that I have benefited from is learning to listen to my body and letting things just take time to adjust. I would love to have a ‘common sense’ mantra but so far, haven’t been able to come up with anything as catchy as KCKO. Though KCCSKO might work (keep calm, common sense and keto on) might work :grin:

No need to worry. Extended fasting is easier said than done. The amount of self control, discomfort, fortitude, and social isolation that a 30 day fast requires is not something most people can muster.

(Chris) #9

Okay, so I’ve used fasting and keto/ZC to drop 80lbs and keep it off. I am not floating around 14% bodyfat. My question for Fung would then be what is your guideline for determining if someone should fast and for how long. Since my surgery 7 weeks ago I haven’t been fasting much at all but I’m typically doing so during the weekdays, and feasting ZC on weekends.

Anyway I got off topic, what do we think he would say, as far as bodyfat level, would be a cutoff for unsafe fasting? And then we would also have to bear in mind that one fasting in this manner such as myself would be, on feeding days, feasting on fatty meat.

(Bunny) #10

Anymore than 3 days could get dangerous! (I would not chance it!).

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #11

I think it depends on how much excess body fat you have. I still have quite a bit and could probably go a few weeks…after I work up to it, of course.

(Muhammad Nasim) #12

I’m doing 30 at the moment. Its’s day 20. Ive come back to it after doing 28 days and a few 14 day ones in 2016. That time I was really stressed and also I took sweeteners.
This time I’m taking broth and salt etc.
Doing it for weight loss.