1-in-3 people snub statins

(David) #1

Saw this in the paper today.

Hmmm, I would have thought they’d be prescribing blood thinners if you’ve got clots or something.

(David) #3

6p a day, is £1.80 for a 30 day supply.

Whereas prescription (I’m guessing you can’t get these without a prescription) is £8.60.

I’m hoping that the people aren’t snubbing these because of cost, but because of a growing spread of mistrust or not just taking the word of a doctor without being convinced with evidence.

(Adrianna) #4

Could be cost for some but there are also documented serious side affects associated with statins and from information I read recently, their benefits are being questioned by some. I tried to find some of the info I came across recently while researching something online but don’t remember what I was reading that talked about it, I just remember noting it in my head as I had an aunt on statins after a stroke (she passed last week).

(David) #5

I’ll just leave this little nugget that I found, here as well.

(I haven’t fact-checked it)

The Japanese researcher Dr. Akira Endo is credited with finding the first statin. When asked why he wouldn’t take it for his own high cholesterol, he answered with an inscrutable Japanese proverb, “The indigo dyer wears white trousers.” To make sense of that you need to know indigo dye is toxic.

(David) #6

Sorry to hear about your Aunt.

I think the fact that the researcher who found them wouldn’t take them, speaks volumes.

(Adrianna) #7

Oh interesting… Didn’t know that. It’s like anti-inflammatories. Everyone prescribed them - now piles are being recalled because they cause even more issues. Better to address things with diet, etc in my mind.

Hm. Wow. Reminds me of this.