0 net carbs in winco winter blend?

(B) #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve done keto before, but I’m not an expert by any means. I know how to count net carbs, but I’m a little confused by this one. Broccoli has carbs, cauliflower has carbs, but winco’s frozen winter blend (broccoli/cauliflower mix) says 0 net carbs. (2 carbs, 2 fiber per serving). How is this?

Thanks in advance!

Brandi

(Ron) #2

US guidelines allow manufacturers to not list under 5 carbs on the packaging, so if they reduce portion size low enough they can market their product as 0 carb healthy.:confounded:
Check the serving size per package. This might explain (or maybe not) :hushed:

(B) #3

So what you’re saying is that there is no way there are 0 carbs?? :sob:

(Ron) #4

That is correct. Although there is minimal net carbs in cauliflower and only a few more in broccoli (which do make them great keto veggies), there are some in there.

16oz of Winco Broccoli has 10.7 net carbs
16oz of Winco Cauliflower has 4.7 net carbs

I wouldn’t be afraid to eat the winter blend myself.

That same label says 2 grams of sugars, correct?

Something is wrong with the label. Even rounding errors can’t make 2 + 2 = 2.

I would assume a 1-cup serving has 2 grams of net carbs (based on the sugar line of the label). Especially since that is close to what a 1-cup serving of either cauliflower or broccoli would have.

(Ron) #6

one cup is about 8 oz so B is going to be 5.7 and C is going to be 2.35 carbs.
Since the winter blend is a mix of the 2 veggies at approx 50/50 that would made 1 cup of the blend at 4 carbs and is below the amount required to list on the label, thus the 0 carb listing.

It’s BS but the way it is.:weary:

(Ron) #7

The label you offered would suggest the right numbers and the label she has as being wrong but it could be a change from the time that you link was printed as a more updated marketing strategy. I frequently get veggies from winco with 0 listing.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Don’t you mean .5?

(B) #9

That’s the label! I felt like it was too good to be true, but didn’t think that errors on labels were very common. I assumed it had 2 carbs given that broccoli and cauliflower both have 2 net carbs per 1 cup and this blend is 1 cup of the mix. Glad to have sorted it out instead of eating a bunch and throwing myself out of ketosis. lol.

Thanks.