Zero weight loss, want to give up

(kilfli) #21

I’m eating 1600, plus some usually every day. The last few days I’ve not been as hungry so I’ve not been in the 2000’s. It’s seems counterintuitive to be eating more calories than I am burning. Since I have started keto I’ve not been that active as my body just doesn’t want to run the 4-6 Miles it could 2.5 weeks ago. I’ve been mostly walking about 6 miles a couple days per week and have only run twice. Both times epic fails, though the last a few days ago my split times were normal, but I felt like I wanted to die the second mile.

(kilfli) #22

And yes. I have a bag of macadamia nuts sitting right beside me. (Stupid Costco making them so affordable) I want to eat every last one of them, so I’ve only been indulging every couple of days.

(Rob) #23

Only if you subscribe to the CICO model which is largely BS. It assumes a very simple engine model for the body which it categorically isn’t. If CICO works for some people it ISN’T because of a simple energy balance.

Your exercise performance shows that you are only in the early stages of keto adaptation. It could take weeks before you get that back (though you almost certainly will, plus way more endurance) but it’s an indicator of how your body is adapting. More fat actually helps that adaptation rather than hinders it. Once you adapt, your body will be more keen to use body fat sources.

Pre-portioning into little snack bags helps me, might be worth it to avoid scarfing a kilo tub way too fast (not that I have any experience of that :flushed:)

(Jennifer ) #24

The weight that most of us drop initially is water weight. You and I are tall ladies (I’m 5’10”, 180 myself), so I would imagine that you’re actually already in pretty good shape. I would imagine you don’t have a ton of water right to lose anyway, so I’m not surprised that you haven’t seen any miraculous drop.

As others have said, the weight loss we see is more a side effect than the main event. Keto helps us deal with the stuff that’s broken on the inside (our hormones), and the side effect is that we also lose weight. If that last 10-15 is stubborn, you may need extra time for your insulin to drop lower to allow you access to those pockets of stored energy. The last few pounds left always go the slowest for all of us. The body wants to hang on to those snacks for a rainy day.

KCKO. Also I somewhat agree with everyone - protein looks a teensy bit high. But you’re tall and active so you can probably use it. I wonder if taking a short hiatus from exercise would let you body deal with the adjustment a little better? It would also allow you to scale back the protein a bit. I don’t see anything overtly wrong in your food logs.

(Moriah ) #25

I’m pretty new to keto (the last week of January). When I went to sites to calculate protein I got anywhere from 45-60 to 90 grams based on the site. I’m 5’ 5" and have another 30 lbs to go. I’m very slowly loosing but lost nothing while on keto (I was fasting prior to that) until the last couple of weeks. (just before that I had cut back my protein). I started out at the higher end of the range I found on sites, 80+ grams of protein for me and have scaled back now to around 50-60 grams. Honestly I’m glad I ate more protein when I started, it was easier to scale back after being more fat adapted. Also, 10 lbs away from goal is going to come off very slowly. Read up on the other benefits of keto. its well worth it. Don’t loose heart!

(kilfli) #26

Well I’m feeling a little silly right now. After reading all of your replies, and doing a little more research I realized…I was basing protien intake off of total body weight and not lean body mass. So, my protien is set correctly now. Hoping that will make a difference. But also worried that it will be more difficult since almost everything I have been eating has high protien. Back to Pinterest for meal ideas!!!

(Robert Hollinger) #27

just add butter :slight_smile:

(Robert Hollinger) #28

oh and you wouldn’t be the first person to make that mistake I’m sure. also there’s the confusion between Kg and Lbs that confounds some people

(Jennifer ) #29

Thanks for the update! I hope the adjustment helps you.

(Jay AM) #30

Don’t sweat it if you go some over on protein. And now you can eat more fat, yay! The stuff I haven’t seen mentioned yet is electrolytes. Make sure you’re getting enough of them.

And, look, I know everyone and their mother has a “don’t eat this” ingredient from soy to gluten to nitrites or whatever else. But, this is individual preference as far as the small stuff. Obviously all your fat shouldn’t come from canola but, if you like a dash of soy containing soy sauce and it fits your carbs? You can decide how you feel about using it. Same with everything else. It doesn’t need to be as complicated as it seems when everyone is telling you minute ingredients that probably have little to no effect in the long run. I even eat shredded cheese because it’s easy to store for me. Though, it’s not necessarily coated in flour. It’s usually cellulose which is a broad word for a lot of non stick type stuff.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.

The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)
*Moderate protein (1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes

Lots of good answers here so I won’t chime in on the details. But c’mon, 2 weeks? Where’s the fire? A drastic diet/lifestyle change is going to take time to take hold, you’re body is still in the “holy crap, what’s happening to me?” phase. Patience grasshopper.

(kilfli) #32

Thank you. I really appreciate your reply. I’ve said it before, but 39 years of programming that fat is bad, is hard to change in my mind. So it’s good to hear, eat more fat!!

(Jay AM) #33

You’re not alone! Lots of people here can match or beat your years of fat is a demon ideas. The crazy part to me though is all the people who will never make it to the point where they start asking questions like you have.

(Cindy) #34

Hi Kilfli, I’m in the same boat as you, new to keto, and have only a few pounds to lose. I was stuck like you until I finally pulled out all the stops and increased my fat drastically. I started putting cream in my coffee, olive oil on all veggies, and in place of dinner, I eat a one ounce fat bomb of some kind. Now I’m losing. It’s so weird to eat more fat to lose weight after a whole life of non-fat dieting! I do also keep my protein to my strict guidelines, which for my small size is 50-60 grams per day.

(Diane) #35

Exceptionally well said! I agree completely!!

(Brad G Reynolds) #36

So how did it go this week?

(kilfli) #37

I lost two pounds which is good. However I am still so fatigued. I wrote a new topic about it. But that is my current hang up. I’m eager to work out the kinks so I feel good all the time. Last night I almost gave in. I was so tired, and felt defeated. I made myself some whipped cream and threw some Lily’s chocolate chips in. I’m sure I went over some macros with it, but it was that or pour a bowl of my kids’ cereal, lol. I made it to another day. Small victories. Hahahahaha. Thank you for checking in.

(Brad G Reynolds) #38

So I’m lazy. I eat Atkins protein bars and maybe a salad each day. At 245 lbs I’m only eating 1500 calories or so and staying in the range of 20gcarbs/93gprotein/remaining fat. I drink coffee with artificial sweeteners a couple times a day as it makes me feel less hungry, is packed with anti-oxidants and gives me energy. As a replacement for coffee I might take a fat burner pill (caffeine) and water. I’m doing what works for me, not officially keto, and I’m sure people frown on fat burner pills. It seems to be working okay for me and I skip breakfast and maybe have just two atkins bars at work for meals with coffee. Only one big meal / day several hours before going to bed, maybe around 700-800 calories.

Trying to stick to no more than 2 lbs / week loss. I eat more if I get ahead of that.

(kilfli) #39

You sound a lot like my husband. He isn’t keto but he has been trying to lose weight. He’s lost 32 pounds in 5 months. He eats lots of protien, doesn’t care about carbs, eats fat, and loves his energy drinks, but his calorie level is always low. I’ve always been a pretty healthy eater, and I do feed him, but left to his own devices he resorts to eating easy things, lol

(Kelly Steiger) #40

Hi, just saw your thread and wanted to ask how it went when you made some changes. I’m two months in and we no change in weight so I would love to know your experience.
Thanks in advance!
Kelly