You've reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 3 hours before trying again

(Derek I. Batting) #1

I tried to reply to a thread and got the following message:

You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 3 hours before trying again.

Wait 3 hours to reply to a thread? I understand keeping potential spammers and trolls down, but with as much as happens in this massive forum in minutes, I think this is seriously limiting. Now, basically, I’m being told I can read all I want, but I can’t participate. Color me bummed. :disappointed:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

I’ll have to defer to @richard on specifics of what can and can’t be adjusted in the Discourse software (which is what drives the forums), but I can tell you that the admin team is constantly discussing where things can be tweaked to improve the user experience, while still meeting the goals of the forums, which include limiting SPAM, trolls, and bullies, as well as protecting certain categories from being indexed by search engines and casually viewed by non-members.

Sometimes, the end result isn’t where it needs to be…yet. Remember, the forums have been open to the public for less than a month…still lots to figure out and polish.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the overall experience will be better with these anti-spam strategies in the software. It does sound frustrating for new users, so hopefully a balance can be struck.

(Richard Morris) #4

Yeah that sucks.

I upped the limit to 5 replies to a topic before it kicks in. Hopefully it’ll give people a little more leeway.

Asi I understand it if anyone replies to your post the count gets reset. The purpose is to stop one person from dominating a topic with lots of replies. The 3 hours was probably how long before the first day turned over into day 2.

It’s like the annoying anti theft devices at stores, or the more annoying security check at the airport. We need it for the few bad apples in society. It’s just a minor inconvenience at the initial part of you joining. Keep calm and forum on.