You had a try at Keto, it didn’t work for you. What now? You have to eat (eventually)

omg spaceb!! that is sooooo funny! gave me a good laugh this morning!

I just can’t resist… But my useless (well, I practiced the language and other things I guess and expressed myself) arguing years are over.

And most of us here think and know very well that we can.
I badly need extreme low-carb on most days to feel right. Grains has little chance, just like vegetables…
Yeah, I heard this argument many times: they have nutrients. And what? we don’t need to eat everything with some kind of nutrients (especially that definitely toxic plants have nutrients too). We just need to get the nutrients somewhere. And it’s ridiculously easy without grains. No food group is needed for survival and in many cases, thriving, it seems.

I’ve read about cholesterol a lot, yes, do the same, there are even videos for dummies but you can look up the information, I don’t say believe them right away. Cholesterol is extremely important, we wouldn’t survive without lots of cholesterol even for a very little time, beheaded people have a way longer life expectancy (well, a somewhat working brain is living to me here)… Cholesterol molecules aren’t all the same, not all type clog arteries and it’s not the saturated fat in our diets that causes problems (though I have no idea what happens with seriously messed up bodies. I am healthy and handle even lots of saturated fat just fine. But I eat WAY less saturated fat on keto/carnivore than on a high-carb or low-carb mostly vegetarian diet anyway, those were my previous diets, very nutritious and very fatty ones).

Where and when do you get your information from? The popularity of the very unscientific “cholesterol is bad” bullshit diminished… decades ago? I don’t even know why it was popular but I guess people must blame something and they loved sugar too much for it or something. And yes, the cholesterol did bad things but the logical jump that much saturated fat is necessarily bad was unscientific. It’s more complicated than that, obviously, it’s our body, we can’t just draw conclusions while looking a tiny, isolated information.

(John Linnon) #58

Whatever works for you. I just wanted to point out what I learned from Dr. Gundry about lectins, and since grains help my digestion, I figured that the way to go would be to still have the benefits of eating grains, but with less lectins. As for fats, not that I believe all that I read, but Wikipedia seems to be a fairly objective source of information. Saturated fat and cardiovascular disease:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most medical, scientific, heart-health, governmental, and professional authorities agree that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, including the World Health Organization,[1] the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Medicine,[2] the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,[3] the Dietitians of Canada,[3] the Association of UK Dietitians,[4] the American Heart Association,[5] the British Heart Foundation,[6] the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada,[7] the World Heart Federation,[8] the British National Health Service,[9] the United States Food and Drug Administration,[10] and the European Food Safety Authority.[11] All of these organizations recommend restricting consumption of saturated fats to reduce that risk.

(Susan) #59

He is a scammer and a quack-- he is a pro at conning everyone out of their money and he is the biggest hypocrite of a doctor and is always contradicting himself. He is not a Keto doctor by any means so his name or his programs or spam have no place on a Ketogenic forum -he is a JOKE!!!

(John Linnon) #60

Interesting. Dr. Gundry’s plant paradox diet seems very similar to the Keto diet, as he also omits grains. Which is where I disagree with him, as I’ve read that you can eliminate lectins in grains by sprouting or soaking: The Plant Paradox diet calls for avoiding lectins by cutting out a long list of foods, including nightshades (think: eggplants, tomatoes, red peppers), out-of-season fruits, grains, and raw legumes, to reportedly reduce inflammation, repair gut health, and prevent weight gain. Allowed: You can also eat all forms of animal protein, such as fish, beef, chicken, and eggs. Fats, such as those found in avocados, butter, and olive oil, are allowed on the lectin-free diet, as are many types of nuts such as walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, and Brazil nuts.
I think the bottom line is, do the research, look at all sides, and do what your gut(sorry) tells you to do.

(Susan) #61

This is Keto, it is very different from what Gundry promotes.

He also self-promotes all his own garbage products and pills -talks about them more then food —

(John Linnon) #62

There are some things I agree, and disagree with, in both Gundry’s diet, and the Keto diet. So I sort of combine parts of different diets. I hope the Keto diet works for you and anyone else who tries it.

hey hey Mom tell us how you really feel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cool! Let’er rip!! :slight_smile:

I looked at Dr.Gundry’s lectin’s list of “no” foods and removed those from the diet. When it comes to lectins, he makes some very valid points.
@Momof5 Susan, why are you so angry with him? I must have missed something, I would really love to know. :slight_smile:

We have a troll on the forum. Probably a person that holds up the signs in the “don’t eat meat” protests. Jumping on multiple posts talking about a balanced diet. Really weird that you would join a forum that you obviously disagree with. Sad, that we have people trying to better their health and this guy comes on here trying to persuade them not to eat in a way that is working for them. Nobody is listening to you dude.

(John Linnon) #67

There are others who agree with me in this forum. You and others like you just don’t want to see the possibility that you might be wrong, at least on some of the aspects of the Keto diet.

(John Linnon) #68

Thanks! I wish I could say that the truth hurts, to those who don’t agree with me. But I don’t have a market on the truth, just as nobody else does, either. That’s the reason that there is the internet, and discussions like this. Getting at the truth doesn’t help when certain views that may differ are censored.

(Heather Meyer) #69

Ask Penn and Tellar? Apparently he ddi a potato diet and lost a heap of weight.

(John Linnon) #70

This is confusing. I don’t think I’ve replied to you, yet. But you seem to be a proponent of Keto, yet open-minded to other possibilities. And you’re quite knowledgeable about physical science. If I’ve been overly corrosive in my attitude, it wasn’t my intent. I’ve said all I should say, and a new topic forum wouldn’t be advisable for me. You’ve probably realized that by now, too. Thanks.

Were you being corrosive at all? Possibly slightly challenging, in which some developed an irritation response.

The diversity of our thinking and personal experience may combine to improve both our daily progress. My current best understanding is that metabolic ketosis is a normal, natural state for the healthy body. It is the result of a low insulin state with higher glucagon allowing release of fatty acids from body fat areas to travel to the liver to be converted into blood ketones. The free fatty acids themselves can be used as energy, particularly for cardiac muscle. Blood glucose is available for glucose dependent tissues and ketones are available as an energy source as well.

In a food environment in some industrial places in the world where predominantly carbohydrate containing substances are highly processed and made edible, and where plant seeds are highly processed to extract oils that are eaten, we’ve run into a population wide health problem.

If you eat your way and have healthy metabolic physiology, processing the plant foods in your diet to remove lectins (a good idea, I think), then good on you for improving your health. If that diet is combined with eating within food timing windows, a low stress work life, deep restful nightly sleep, friendly and enriching human interactions and companionship, kindness to the living planet and unforced physical activity that depletes liver and muscle glycogen each day, then I dare say you will potentially live a healthy and happy life.

Now tell me about saturated fat and clogged arteries, please.

Keep chatting here, it’s fine. The thread was built to explore ideas.

They also lived in Okinawa pre mid 20th century. Translocation of diet through time, space, population (genetics) and culture?

(Bunny) #73

I forget what study it was that when any culture starts accessing processed carbohydrates from the industrialized world that’s when you start seeing diabetes. When you lay your eyes on your first Reese’s peanut butter cups your hooked for life.

Bunny, it’s always your second sentence that slays me. :rofl:

Compile it. Make that list…bullet the wrongs of keto then we can debate those.
what exactly is wrong with the keto diet lifestyle from your view and science to back it up?
make it good cause the heavy hitters on this board are gonna put out science against what you list.

(Rebecca ) #76

Weird…I wonder if he is HEALTHY??