Yoghurt selection

So at the supermarket tonight I was faced with the selection yoghurt A fat 5g & 3.9g carbs or yoghurt B fat 9.8g & carbs 5.4g (pet 100g) what should be my logic in selection?

Thanks

The carbs reported on the label is typically the carbs that went into the product before cooking, or in this case fermenting, so the actual carbs in yoghurt is usually much lower than what’s on the label. I believe it was Brian Williamson, aka Ketovangelist, that claims it’s safe to use 50% of the amount on the label, unless sugar is listed as an ingredient.

So, if any variation of sugar is in the ingredients list, I would completely avoid it regardless of the reported number of carbs.

When I do eat whole milk Greek Yoghurt that has no sugar in the ingredients list, I just add sour cream until it meets what I consider an acceptable level of fat in the serving. The most recent time I did this, it was 1 cup of yoghurt with 4 tablespoons of sour cream. I’m not suggesting that anyone needs to do it, it’s just how I handle it.

The logic selection is buying the HWC and making sour cream (eat it like yogurt). It’s easy. Just pour two ingredients in a jar, and two days on its own, it’s done, you have sour cream with natural bio activity.

You end up getting a whole lot more fat, and cheaper to purchase ingredients.

Here are the directions:

thanks @BillJay, i’ve not came across a greek yoghurt in the UK with added sugar will keep looking. @Fiorella another one to add to my kitchen to-do list :slight_smile:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #5

Did you mean “with” there or “without”?

Anyway, at least in Waitrose, you can get Yeo Valley plain (unsweetened) full fat Greek Style Yogurt (as well as sweetened, in various flavours).

I also found a more expensive one called (I think) “Tim’s”. Then there was also their own brand.
“Tim’s” was the best I thought.
Here we go:
http://www.timsdairy.co.uk/

@Mike_W_Ellwood I did mean ‘without’, Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: