Yoghurt: Saving Money and Carbs - Macro Four

(G. Andrew Duthie) #21

Thanks! Don’t know that I’ll have time to do a batch today, but I’m definitely going to give this a try soon.

And thanks for the link on homemade Mascarpone. It’s one of my favorites…just ask @Fiorella, who likes to tease me when I clean out the local grocery store when it’s on sale. :smiley:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #23

Finally got around to making yogurt.

Used the Instant Pot, and to be honest, I think their directions are pretty confusing. Easy once you understand how the cycles work, but not intuitive.

First, you use the yogurt cycle to “boil” the milk (not sure it actually gets to boiling, but hot enough to kill bad bacteria), and when that’s done, you’re supposed to let the milk cool to around 115 degrees F, and then add the culture or fresh yogurt (I used the latter…some Greek yogurt from Costco).

Well, it’s not clear from the instructions whether you’re supposed to turn off the IP after the first cycle, and then start it over again, or what, and they also don’t say how to cool the milk. I ended up taking the inner pot out and setting it on the counter to cool, but since I started with a full gallon of milk, that took several hours.

Turns out that the first cycle is activated by setting the Yogurt cycle to “more”, while the second cycle is activated by “normal”, and then you set the time. Once I’d mixed in the Greek yogurt, I set it for 12 hours, popped the inner pot back in, and put the lid on.

This morning, the cycle finished, and I opened it up, not sure what to expect. I think it looks pretty good.

I’ve got around half of it straining through a coffee filter and colander. Once that’s done, I’ll strain the other half and try some. Excited! :smiley:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #24

Not fully strained yet, but I had to try some…it’s very good.

But a gallon of milk makes a LOT of yogurt. So next time, I think I’ll go a little smaller with the amount.

Thanks again for the tips, @clackley!

(Cathy) #25

You can set the inner pot in a sink of cold water to speed up the cooling. Looks good!!!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #26

I may try that next time. I think making a smaller batch would make a big difference as well. A gallon of milk at 180 degrees takes a LONG time to cool. :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #27

I’m late to this party but wanted to provide a link to Yogurt Making Step by Step in Pictures! that I did a few years ago. I’ve been doing it this way with full fat milk for a number of years and the only fancy piece of equipment you need is a thermometer.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #28

Good walkthrough!

Out of curiosity, what’s the purpose of the dry milk?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #29

Forgot to mention that I went the route of cold water + ice. Does a nice job of getting the milk cooled off quickly. I’m still loving the instant pot for yogurt, and will probably be making another batch in the next couple days (once I decide to end my current fast…90+ hours and counting).

(Sophie) #30

To add more stability and make it more like commercial. I discovered (and posted later) that it can be omitted and incubated for longer to achieve the same results, which I like better.

And recently, I purchased some Greek Yogurt Starter from Cultures for Health that is tastier than the Dannon I’ve used forever. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #31

OK. That makes sense.

I use an organic Greek yogurt I get from Costco as my starter, and I’ve been very happy with the results. I let it “cook” overnight (usually around 12 hours) and then strain for several hours, both of which keep the carb count fairly low.

I may try getting some cultures at some point. The only challenge with using the Greek yogurt as a starter is that my family likes it, too, so if I don’t remind them not to eat it all, I don’t have any starter left. :slight_smile:

(Sophie) #32

I started upping my batches to 3qts + 1c. (for the next starter). Sometimes I strain the whey off a quart and make frozen yogurt in the ice cream maker thingy. It’s really good too. And I usually hand out 1qt per batch to friends or neighbors, spread the joy and keeps everyone on good terms! :grin:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #33

Does it end up rock-hard, or does it have an ice-cream like consistency? The couple of times I’ve tried to make keto ice cream in my ice cream maker, it ends up rock-hard, so I have to thaw it partially to eat it, which kinda reduces the enjoyment a bit.

(Sophie) #34

I think if you leave it in the ice cream maker bowl it gets hard. Try removing it once it’s done to a plastic container with a lid…if it lasts that long. :ice_cream: :grinning:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #35

I don’t leave it in the freezer bowl, though it starts to get really hard the moment I stop the bowl spinning, at least with the recipes I’ve tried.

Maybe I’ll make a larger batch of yogurt next time, and try some of it in the ice cream maker. Worst that can happen is I have to eat the mistake. :slight_smile:

(Annika) #36

Making yogurt in a crockpot is very easy. I ferment mine for 24 hours to reduce the lactose, so it ends up being lower carb than storebought yogurt.
http://prettygoodpaleo.tumblr.com/post/90854727855/how-to-make-yogurt-in-a-crock-pot