Working out harder or longer?

I agree that diet has a much higher impact on fat loss than exercise by a large margin. If I just sit around and do nothing all day (very rare), I’ll burn 2,000 kcal. If I have my most intense weight day, roughly 45 mins (including rest periods), I burn around 500 kcal (according to FitBit).

I’ve seen excellent results with following a keto WOE and until recently, was doing IF and EFs. Just trying to give myself an edge.

(Joey) #22

@Mavro Sounds like you’re actually doing great! Kudos for taking such good care of yourself.

… FWIW, I’d give more credibility to my daily horoscope for reliable caloric guidance than I would a fitbit. But that’s another topic :roll_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

It’s important to remember that daily intake and expenditure don’t generally match very well, but the match is extremely precise over seven or eight days, when people eat ad libitum.

(Joey) #24

At the risk of going off the deep end here…

• Nutrition drives health and metabolism - not calories per se.

• The “calorie” construct provides little (if any) meaningful information.

• Fitbits (and related calorie counters) are essentially useless in tracking caloric info.

• As such, they provide useless info on a metric that is meaningless from the outset.

• At least horoscopes are amusing. :cancer:

p.s. - Exercise, done thoughtfully, is an outstanding way to maintain/increase one’s overall health. For weight loss, not so much.

(Joey) #26

@isaaccolem Welcome to the forum! Great to hear you’ve got a hybrid strength training regime established. To good health! :vulcan_salute:

Welcome Issac! Something to be said about Slow Burn workouts.

I recently changed up my routine to the Body By Science routine which incorporates the big 5 exercises concentrating on getting to failure around the 90 second mark.

It was weird not working out every 2nd day and now waiting for a week to pass by before going at it again.

Edit: I stopped doing Body By Science is my setup at home doesn’t allow me to do the Big 5 workouts effectively with a Bowflex SE 2.

It’s absolutely not! Pre Workout dextrose is about workout energy, not glycogen replenishment, 10-20g wouldn’t fully reload the liver, let alone allow muscle to start getting theirs, that’s why people do re feeds and CKD. An insulin spike will absolutely help with nutrient uptake, that’s literally one of insulin’s jobs in our bodies.

Also, for pre-workout, Dextrose is absolutely the best way, the whole idea is to have energy from it right then and have it burned off by workouts end, you can’t do that when your body is busy digesting a food carbohydrate source.

Re-read the OP! He was practicing post-workout glycogen replenishment. I’m fully aware of the difference between post and pre-workout carbs, aka the targeted ketogenic diet, which I personally ran for a long period.

As for dextrose, I stick by my comments. Highly branched cyclic dextrin is a superior source.

Effects of ingesting highly branched cyclic dextrin during endurance exercise on rating of perceived exertion and blood components associated with energy metabolism - PubMed (nih.gov)

(Deepak patidar) #30

I lift heavy, slowly. I’m in the gym 3 sometimes 4 days a week for about 30-45 minutes total. That’s all that I feel I need.
I do two workouts, for body weight training. One where I attempt to do as many reps to failure as I can, so those are “fast” reps. The second, I try to do three reps, each with 10 seconds down and 10 seconds up. The aka “Slow Burn” type of movement.

(Rick Cartwright) #31

I am new and late to respond. I always find this very individual and it really depends on your goals. I have been lifting for a long time. I use to keep my volume and frequency very low but since the pandemic started I have been using a high frequency and volume. I do an upper / lower split, 3 x / week and with with more volume. If you had asked me about this 20 years ago I would have said no way, that would lead to overtraining. I am retired now, so I have time to recover and I eat a lot of food (between 3k and 3.5K with higher protein, low carb moderate fat). I think you have to find what works of your situation … what feels good and gets you moving toward your goals. Over time those factors may change. That is good … but find what works and do it. Just my 0.02.

Rick

(Robin) #32

Preach!

This is what I do. Keep in mind that I am not looking to gain muscle mass but strength. The sports I complete in, running and cycling favor the lighter weight and strength. I work out 5 days a week. No weekends. I follow Pareto’s Law (80/20). 5 reps of 5 sets and rest 5 mins between sets.
Monday - Heavy squats
Tuesday - Heavy Benchpress
Wednesday - Heavy Trap Bar deadlift (concentric only) Lift and drop
Thursday -80% Benchpress
Friday - 80% Squats
Only add weight (10lbs per side) when you can do all 5 sets.
Your muscles should not be sore after a workout. The trap bar lift uses 90 of your skeletal muscles to complete the lift (concentric). You will be amazed at how fast you gain strength with this program. No need to spend 2 hours in a gym.

I’m thinking about switching things up. I typically go 4 sets of 8 reps for most lifts. For certain exercises I do cluster sets (2 reps, 15 second rest, 2 reps, 15 second rest, 2 reps). Then rest for 90 seconds.

I think I might switch to 5-6 reps max but do higher weights with a longer rest period. I stopped taking post-workout dextrose and my workouts got flatter as a result. So the lower reps should keep me in the phosphogen system.

I’ll start fresh next week.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #35

Slow reps are a fantastic technique to incorporate at random times to shock the system without stressing it. The moment a routine gets easy or monotonous, a max day or a week or two of slow reps is very effective to mix it up. They’re also great for coming back from injuries or debilitating DOMS.

The best thing about slow reps, in my opinion, is that it’s almost impossible to screw up form or fall back on momentum during a set, so long as you maintain your focus. I always recommend slow reps for the beginner. You get a spectacular workout in less time, with less weight, and with excellent eccentric/concentric balance.

(Joey) #36

It’s been said: The best physical exercise is the exercise that you actually do.

Wise words.

To apply a little science to the topic, consider these papers …

HIIT-MetabolicResults.pdf (549.9 KB)
HIIT-SkeletalMuscle.pdf (496.8 KB)
HIITvsTradExercise.PDF (734.6 KB)
OnceVsTwiceLegPress.pdf (1000.8 KB)

… all of which basically conclude the same thing. More isn’t necessarily better. On the contrary: High intensity, bursts, sprints - they get you to the same place as extended trudgery. Food for thought.

Just because you’re retired doesn’t mean you need to spend your remaining years exercising more hours and effort than does you any good. :vulcan_salute:

How long do you work out for and at what intensity? Your body should let you know what you require. Are you doing back-to-back intense days? Why not real food after a workout? Dextrose is basically sugar made from either corn or wheat.
“Although it shows that consuming carbohydrates immediately after a workout is beneficial, the amount of glycogen that actually gets depleted during a workout from a non-athlete (ie: me) is much less than expected.”
If fat-adapted, you will preserve your glycogen stores and use more of your fat stores at the lower intensities. Once the intensity picks up you will begin to use less fat and more glycogen.
How many carbs you need to replace is based on the level of intensity and duration of exercise.

It really depends on what your own goals are. Muscle mass, strength, power or endurance or even weight loss. Generally, heavy weights and low reps = strength and muscle mass. Lower weights with more reps = endurance and weight loss. strength is number 1 with me. Heavy with low reps and rest between set 5 mins+

(Shawn Patrick Malone) #39

I do a ton of Hard Style kettle bell training. I haven’t done a body part session in years. I focus on sessions with swings/snatches and Turkish Get Ups. Or snatches and goblet squats 3-4 days a week with a 3-5 mile walk most days. It has always worked well for me since I started in 2016. Coming from a powerlifting backround I couldn’t care less about benching or heavy squatting. I have cardio for days and can knock out 10+ pull ups without training them.

Most of the training focuses on heavy rounds of 5-10 reps of swings or snatches. 10 reps usually for 10 rounds, 5 reps for 10-30 rounds, depends on hand care and goals. I like to do 5 reps EMOM for between 16-24 rounds. Checkout Strongfirst.com, lots of great info on kettle bell training for anyone from beginner to advanced. A decent amount of keto and carnivore people their too.