Wings are back on the menu!

(Windmill Tilter) #21

This is a genius recipe, particularly because it has a variation for wings straight out of the freezer! It only adds 6 minutes to the cook time at full pressure. I always forget that particular pressure cooker superpower. It’ll come in handy for sure, because the overlap between when I have a craving for wings, and when I have fresh wings in the fridge is microscopic… :yum:

Have you ever tried the straight-from-frozen variation?

(Bob M) #22

I have not tried that version, though I could see where that would be useful.

The instant pot is great. I saw a new Alton Brown show where he talked about the Instant Pot to make stock…then recommended a normal pressure cooker. His theory was that you could use the pot of the pressure cooker for things like pasta. As a low carb person, I rarely need a pot to boil things.

Meanwhile, the Instant Pot has so many other features, it’s really dumb to buy a normal pressure cooker. (At least at full price and new.) I was disappointed in Mr. Brown.

(Windmill Tilter) #23

They both have their pros and cons.

One disadvantage of stovetop pressure cookers is that they don’t have timers, which a lot of people find useful. They’re also nowhere near as good at cooking rice, which is an issue if you’re the only one in your family eating keto. One advantage is they usually have double the capacity at 50% of the price.

One disadvantage of a Instant Pot is that it’s lousy at browning meat unfortunately. The maillard reaction is were all the flavor comes from. You can “tan” it a little, but that’s about it. The other is that it can’t achieve a very high pressure. When it comes to making to bone broth, pressure is the only thing that matters. An Instant Pot is essentially the mid-point between just boiling an open pot of water and a stovepot pressure cooker. The biggest advantage to a Instant Pot is that it has a timer and it shuts itself off when something is cooked. This is a pretty hand feature.

I’d just as soon have both, but if I could only choose one, I’d go with a stovetop pressure cooker.

(Brian Coleman) #24

BWW should be commended for sticking with beef tallow for their wings and fries! The problem is the chicken. Like any commercial kitchen, the chickens are cheap, fast growing birds fed on a diet of corn and soy. Because of which, they are incredibly high in PUFA. PUFA’s got us to where we are now, insulin resistant and susceptible to carbs. So low carb but more importantly, the total elimination of seed oils, is the way to go. I’m single and went to a nearby BWW 4 days a week for two years… loved their wings with a little dry rub. I struggled to lose any weight… I’m convinced now it was all the high PUFA chicken. I now go their as a treat and get a double burger no bun and a small order of French fries cooked in beef fat.

(Marianne) #25

Me, too! We live just east of Buffalo and every bar around here serves delicious wings. Now I make them in an air fryer and toss with a little Buffalo wing sauce. Yowzza! Delicious. I will remember that about Buffalo Wild Wings, although I’m not sure if the two around here have closed. :pleading_face:

I had a pressure cooker for about 10 years. Used it on average once a month (more like a few times every few months when I would remember it.) I liked it but honestly with older relatives and teenagers helping me in the kitchen it made me nervous when it would reach pressure and when it would release. It definitely cooked fast. Did things taste better, not as far as I could tell. I also have had a slow cooker for 20 years, when the first went, I replaced it with a bigger one. A week ago I got an instant pot. I am definitely getting rid (or at least putting them in the basement) my slow cooker and pressure cooker. It is much more convenient, can do way more than both put together. As for bone broth, the few times I have made it have either been in the slow cooker or in a regular pot. I do not think it occurred to me to use a pressure cooker. If I make it again I will use the Instant Pot.

@Rclause and @ctviggen that is terrifying about the oil coating everything including lungs! Do you think olive oil or avocado are dangerous? We fry chicken at least once a week.

As for making wings, I almost always make them from frozen. I usually season them after they are partially cooked in addition to putting some on frozen.

Surprised the equipment has a problem with Tallow given that McDonalds or Burger King, I forget which used that until sometime in the 70s or 80s for their fries until they changed to vegetable oil.

@Brian_Coleman interesting about the PUFA impeding weight loss. I am not sure that is universally true for everyone. Dr. Eric Westman I think it was talks about clients who have lost weight simply eating the patties at McDonalds because they did not cook and that was what they could afford. I do wonder what else is on the chicken or burgers they serve in most places whether the rubs or sauces have sugar in them