Why we stall

(Dan Dan) #81

Therapeutic Fasting - Dr Jason Fung

kCKO (Keep Calm Keto On)

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Liz ) #82

You gradually increase your caloric intake to where you want it to be, and fast when you are not eating. Fasting will keep you from gaining weight while you readjust your macros.

(Olivia) #83

No, that’s not possible. If you take 1lbs and burn it in a calorimeter, you get an energy-output (heat) of 3500 kcal.
If you increase your calories by 300 kcal and see an increase in weight the next day, it’s due to water retention, mass in your stomach and bowels, and not fat. It’s still frustrating and annoying, but it’s not fat.

(Adam Kirby) #84

My theory is that most of the people who are plagued by stalls have higher fasting insulin than the folks who lose 150 lbs in a year without much stalling. The fat tissues become more healthy and insulin-sensitive after a period of weight loss on low carb, but the person is still quite hyperinsulinemic for whatever genetic reason specific to them. Whereas I would guess the extreme losers drop their basal insulin a lot more, so their fat stores are more easily liberated.

(Mark) #85

It may not ALL be fat, but a good part of it is. As Jason would say “We can measure these things”. :slight_smile:

(Mark) #86

Excellent video. Still doesn’t address how to undo the metabolic damage without weight gain. Thanx. :slight_smile:

(Mark) #87

I agree - I must have elevated Insulin that just won’t let me burn the fat. Time to see an endocrinologist and get ALL my hormones checked.

(Dan Dan) #88

The Video tells you how too by Therapeutic Fasting :smile:

He States at the end it cures Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome :heart_eyes::star_struck:

(Dan Dan) #89

How Low Calorie Diets & Intermittent Fasting Affect Metabolism Dr Berg :smile:

(Mark) #90

This is the answer is to a different question. He is answering how to NOT damage your metabolism in the first place, not how to fix it once it’s damaged. Two different things.

(Dan Dan) #91

How to Fix a Slow Metabolism

(Dan Dan) #92

One more time ‘FAST!’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Sheila) #93

Just so I am clear you’re saying protein increases insulin? I eat pork rinds all day, maybe this is what is happening to me the reason I haven’t really lost at all while on Keto.

(Liz ) #94

If you really mean you are “eating all day” that alone can cause stalls. If you eat constantly you are always keeping insulin spiked. I get better results eating in two discreet time periods (90 minutes max) within an 8 hour window, no snacks.

(Sheila) #95

Yes, when I say eat that is literally. But definitely not a full meal. I would snack on Pork rinds and eat 1-2 full meals a day. Not a big eater at all. But again, I am always in Ketosis according to the strips and my body reaction. So I am staying within my macro range. Question, can i stay in Ketosis and not eating correctly? Please understand I am newer and still learning so bear with me.

(Liz ) #96

Yes you can be in ketosis and still be sabotaging your fat loss (if fat loss is your goal) with too frequent eating. Keto works best when you control WHAT you eat and also WHEN you eat. Insulin that is always up prevents fat burning. Eating spikes insulin.

If I am hungry between meals it means I did not eat enough at the previous meal. The next time I make sure to get a more satisfying meal that gets me through to the next one without snacking. You don’t have to eat a heaping plateful of food to get to satiety. For example I’ll add nutrient dense foods that have a lot of fat, like an ounce of macadamia nuts or an ounce of Brie cheese, or a tin of sardines in oil. Looks small on the plate but is very satisfying.

If you are snacking for entertainment instead of hunger (which I have certainly done) you need to start reworking your relationship with food and what it’s for in your life.

(Sheila) #97

This is helpful with understanding fat loss and Insulin. Thank you Liz!

(Liz ) #98

Sure thing! I learned all this from the 2 Keto Dudes and Jason Fung, M.D. of Intensive Dietary Management.

(Sheila) #99

I have been listening to the Podcast from the 2 Keto Dudes as of yesterday. I will check out Dr Jason Fung as well.

(tulsanurse1) #100

When youre monitoring to keep your insulin low, how do you monitor? I can monitor glucose and serum ketones but no sure how to monitor insulin levels.