Why only trace of ketones during a 72hr fast?

newbies
fasting

(John Dudek) #1

In hour 65 of a 72 hour fast and only have a trace af ketones on the urine strip. I have had zero carbs during this time and even went out and bought a 2nd kit just to be sure!

I ordered blood test strips, but it will be a few days for those to arrive.

Any ideas?

TIA

(Allie) #2

Because urine strips are pretty much useless and only show what’s being wasted, not what is being used as fuel by your body.

I wouldn’t care. If you feel okay, your body surely makes what it needs :slight_smile:
And urine strips are pretty useless anyway, what if your body is just effective and don’t throw out precious ketones willy-nilly? It happens.
(I never could get strips so I never measures ketones myself but I just listen to my body and it always told me it loves that my carbs are very low. I follow it to the point where it feels best. Fasting is the same, following my body.)

(KM) #4

What do your keto stix look like ordinarily, when not fasting?

(Bob M) #5

Urine strips are affected by too much also, particularly dehydration or over hydration.

Breath or blood ketones are better.

Urine strips are not accurate. I would recommend keto mojo and monitor glucose and ketones and I will give you your Gki. With extended fast like yours it’s pretty rewarding to see you are in autophagy.