Why might some people need more carbs?

I puchased a blood ketone/glucometer two weeks ago to look further into this. Here is the data from the app I’m recording it in. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MPx-jNYfRj-oT--LR4YKVjO2R9Sdb8Ksk_nzJCAyFQQ
From the very little research I’ve done this looks unremarkable? In terms of fluctuating insulin and blood glucose…

So the idea is to get the benefits of a deeper ketosis the majority of the time and concentrate the carb feeds… Do you eat enough oysters to go out of ketosis? I was thinking about eating more mushrooms and onions and the like on a daily basis

(Jason Fletcher) #23

What were your goals and what were you hoping to have happen when you went keto not sure if you posted this?

(Paige) #24

Leanne Vogel talks about carb-ups in her pod casts for keto people. She also mentions that some people do better with more carbs and stay in ketosis. Everyone is so individual there is no right answer. She had a guest that didn’t feel good until she had more carbs. Hope this helps

(CharleyD) #25

Unfortunately I haven’t bought a ketone or glucose meter. My face is next to the definition of Lazy Keto.

I do have a serving of onions and mushrooms, sometimes together, like in First Watch’s The Works omelet.

I usually eat OMAD and in the past year of just whole food keto I think eating this way, plus glycolytic workouts, may increase the amount of sugar needed to actually get knocked out of the mild nutritional ketosis.

Long way of saying I don’t think I’ve been knocked completely out yet, due to oysters. But I’m not about to stop drawing down glycogen to find out what that limit is. I’m happy in this place.

Cool thanks for the info

(Nick D'Agostino) #27

I’m late to this chain, but I’ve frequently experienced the same thing. When I work out a lot (perhaps worse when I do anaerobic workouts?), it seems that I start feeling unwell after the workout. I get a headache or weakness that gets worse and worse, and I can only relieve it by having some carbs. (I’m still figuring out how many.)

I’ve experienced this after being low-carb for a year and separately for a few weeks.

(April Harkness) #28

When i do olyifting (anaerobic), i take carbs right b4 my workout just to improve my training session. I take straight dextrose tabs. 10 mg, right b4 i train olylifting. Jealous of the endurance athletes on here who can do it completely fat fueled. But oly lifting isn’t powerlifting or bodybuilding or RUNNING. Completely different animal. So yes…i take carbs-strategically.

Hi Nick
Are you tracking your calories in and out? Looking back at this post I believe the most common cause of my fatigue was being at a calorie deficit. I overestimated the amount of energy my own body fat puts back into the equation - not a lot(particularly on the last 5-10kg I am trying to lose). Also you might try adding 10-20grams carbs half an hour before your workout as April just mentioned. I do this and it really makes a difference to my session. Takes me closer to 50grams of carbs a day and maybe drives up hunger and weight gain a bit but you could counter that by tracking

Yes. I also use dextrose prior to weights although the powdered kind which is probably not great for my teeth. I find it makes a big difference to explosive power and my willingness to continue the workout after 40 minutes. It does seem like some people produce the extra glycogen naturally but I wonder how much this is affected by being in surplus or deficit?