Why is biotin and choline hardly ever listed in nutrition data?

Does anybody know? You can look up foods high in these nutrients and find answers but still it would be nice to know the content in all foods.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

There is a feeling that nutrition panels should not give so much information that the consumer is overwhelmed, or the packaging size has to be increased to make room for the nutrition panel. We don’t list oxalate or nitrate content, either, and those would also be useful to know.

If you really need to know the complete nutritional contents of a food, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Composition Database is your friend.

I was more referring to the USDA than the panel on the food. USDA does not list choline or b7 for much of anything.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Well, for information on why the Food Central database does or does not contain certain information, only they could tell you the reason. I could guess, but that wouldn’t necessarily be the correct answer. Is it possible that foods with no choliine or biotin content listed might be ones that don’t contain any? If you know of a food that definitely contains one or the other, but the listing does not appear, that would definitely be a good reason for querying the USDA.

(Bob M) #5

Paul: please get with the plan! We can’t have people knowing the nitrate content in foods, as that’s only in bacon and other processed meat, and – in that application – is DEADLY. I mean, if people find out nitrate is in other foods, how are vegans to demonize meat? :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I’m so sorry! What was I thinking? :scream:

(Bob M) #7

If we want to talk what we’d like to see, I’d like to see:

• all fat content listed (sat. fat, MUFA, PUFA)
  • everything as a percentage of total calories
  • get rid of percent daily value, which is completely useless
  • add a 100 grams listing

https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrition-comparison lists the fatty acid comp for a lot of foods. I don’t know how reliable it is.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

So true. And if nitrate is what you want to avod, stay the heck away from all celery.