Why I’m Quitting Keto - A Post For Myself

(hottie turned hag) #329

@PaulL I know right? I’d be literally dead. Yet he keeps on going, making money hand over fist with his mad skillz, and alienating folk at every turn with his I-act-like-I’m-on-meth-but-God-made-me-this-way, ways :crazy_face:

(Edith) #330

Maybe his diet is what makes him so hyper and challenging to be around. Maybe if he didn’t eat so many carbs, he would be a calmer person?

(hottie turned hag) #331

Nope he has severe ADHD, has been this way from childhood. He is really a strange case. Makes sense the diet is contributory but data does not support the theory. He seems to be a true genius so is a freak of nature in all ways. When he takes programming jobs he bills client for X hours, say, 40, which is what is to be expected for the job. Does the actual job in maybe 8hr. I have seen this and been floored. He’s also completely self taught and flunked courses in school except the few he liked.

(Edith) #333

Well, then, maybe he needs all those carbs to power his rapid fire neurons.

(Lisa) #334

You’re definitely on target about the Rice Diet. When I was in college, I worked at a gym near Duke University that catered to folks on the Rice Diet (very obese people who often came from out of state and stayed in Durham for a year or more to do the program; the actor Buddy Hackett was among several famous participants). Because that time and location were so influenced by the Rice Diet, many of my co-workers at the spa were doing it, and I foolishly did it too because the underweight spa owner thought I could lose 10 pounds. (:roll_eyes: I was 19 and in great shape at the time). The diet consisted of a fruit serving for breakfast, 1/2 cup of steamed white rice + two fruits for lunch, and the same for dinner. After that introductory phase, dieters could add a “sauce” made of tomato, green pepper and onion to their rice. If you wanted to get fancy, you could substitute plain shredded wheat cereal for the white rice.

After doing it for a while, I lost muscle mass (yes, I got “skinnier,” to the delight of the crazy spa owner), and my EMT boyfriend at the time was warning me that my BP and heart rate were frighteningly low. I eventually stopped the diet, of course, and replaced the muscle I lost with fat. I think it is one of the worst and most torturous diet plans ever, and I imagine that very few (or none) of the formal program participants kept the weight off long-term. It definitely did not include chocolate or anything with even the tiniest hint of fat or salt. I didn’t learn my lesson right away, because I went on to do the McDougall diet for years, similar but not quite as strict as the Rice Diet.

(Edith) #335

I would like to add, though. My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD by two different psychiatrists. She is a senior in high school. We put her on the keto diet this past December. It has made a huge difference. She is much calmer and she is doing MUCH better in school. Even the doctor could see the difference after only a month. You can’t know if his severe ADHD might not be caused by his high carb diet unless he is willing to give low carb/keto a try.

(hottie turned hag) #336

@VirginiaEdie no doubt! From what his sibs state (he’s one of seven, and the only one without an advanced degree) the ADHD manifested from infancy -retrospectively stated as he went undiagnosed until age 50+ - BUT diet may very well affect the symptoms/manifestation of the disorder via neurochem changes secondary to endocrinologic regulation and were he willing to try it’d be a fascinating trial to witness but alas there is no way. Like many genius types he’s stubborn and closed to ideas other than his own :expressionless:

(Running from stupidity) #337

My ears are burning…

(hottie turned hag) #338

@juice :astonished: There’s more than one of them…?! :dizzy_face:

(Running from stupidity) #339

Massive difference - I make no money :smiley:

(hottie turned hag) #340

:laughing: I’m dead
#R.I.P.
:skull_and_crossbones:

Our youngest son was diagnosed with “off the charts” ADHD when he was very young. They wanted to put him on meds, which my husband and I refused. Did some online research and found the Feingold Diet. It’s basically an elimination diet that started with removing artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. Then you move on to eliminate specific fruits and veg, but we never got to that point. He did MUCH better when we removed the artificial stuff. It made a huge difference. It’s no surprise that keto has been an improvement for your daughter since you just eat whole, natural foods in this way of eating.