Why I had to STOP KETO after 2 years :(

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
science
fasting

(Donna) #143

I for one…found you, and your topic…to be quite honestly refreshing…and important to bring forth as a topic…I had precisely the SAME EXACT experience with over-exercise…lowering kcals…YET not losing any weight approximately two months into my keto-ness!! I was immensely frustrated…and realised that my cortisol levels were, quite likely, through the roof…They WERE. Being, alas…someone known to go all ‘gung-ho’ on things I’m passionate about…I thought I was only ‘helping’ my personal cause…but it was not the case…The lizard brain…and basic need to survive was NOT lovin’it…It was excruciatingly difficult for me to dial down the exercise component…for I loved it…but my body simply did not have the nutrients necessary to keep my exercise addiction fuelled properly. I had been retaining water in my legs…whilst keeping ultra-lean in the arms and torso…and felt (and looked) a tad freakish…I think the water retention (via cortisol?) was ‘my’ nature’s way of telling me to slow down by making my legs feel heavy…Amazing the stories the body can tell us…if we only listen. I love your candor and transparency…keep posting your truth for we all can benefit!

(Edith) #144

So… what was your solution?

(Donna) #145

Bonjour!..So sorry for the late reply Edith!..My ‘personal’ solution was to dial the exercise WAY down for two weeks…as in only long walks and light hiking on vacation…then reducing my runs from one and one half hours to a little under one hour…and not every day…but only three or four times per week. My mood, as well as my energy really responded with being uplifted. I think some keto-ers do best when really pushing the envelope edge on physical output…but my own body was firmly rebelling! Thank you for asking!

It is an interesting critique of Michael’s observations.

Like any observational inquiry (and sharing), the findings can be compared and used to design further investigations.

We have to face the world fast approaching, that as individual interest in nutrition increases, we are all bioindividual. (Sounds like a line from a Monty Python film).

There will be many for which the ketogenic lifestyle does not work… optimally… for their goals or situation. They may go off and explore other options, like vegetariansm, or veganism, which can be done keto, but tend to be more carbohydrate laden and lower fat. It works for some.

There also is the option for healthy fuel switchers to go in and out of ketosis as benefits them best.

I can understand the point of view that the keto diet may be blamed for other aspects of human fallibility. But at the same time the ketogenic diet may not work for everyone. It may not work for everyone lifelong, even if it can be initially beneficial. The ketogenic diet may just be a roadside gas station that we stop off at as we journey down the road to individual health improvements.

(Michael Heffez) #147

Nice use of vocabulary there. And thanks for your kind reply. I’m thinking of starting up again. It’s been 6 months. Any idea how long it can take me to re adapt please?

(Michael Heffez) #148

Just reading your post now after many months. Ty! I’m going back on keto but prior to exercise I will add maybe some coconut water before or after…we’ll see how that goes.

(Donna) #149

Excellent idea…I think I’ll give that a go as well! Let me know how it works out for you!

(Daisy) #150

I’ve started 3 times. The first time, I stopped after 4 weeks, so never got fat adapted. The next 2 times took me 5 each time. I hope to never have to start over again. Good luck!

(Bunny) #151

Looking at the header on this thread:

”Why I had to STOP KETO after 2 years frowning”

You really don’t have to do keto or have to STOP keto, keto is about cutting back on the sugar (what keto really is) intake and not so much about meticulously being obsessed with eating fat or protein but it is also important that the intake is adequate?

Quoting myself:

How can I do that (above)?

Because I’m not eating this type of food all the time? Carbohydrates are not my primary source of nutrition? Meat and fat are! THAT IS MY KEY?

If you really, really think about it you don’t ever have to STOP keto, your awareness is what matters more than anything about what causes the problem and cutting back on the foods that are causing the problems or will cause the problems you don’t want in the future?

Keto is not about weights and measures, it is more of an educational learning experience on dietary and nutritional intake?

You can do strict keto like we do here on the forum or just watch what your eating and keep it simple.

There is so much confusion surrounding this whole keto definition thing and different methods and how too’s etc. Personally any diet that talks about reducing sugar is the lead I will always follow indefinitely!

The only thing you’ll ever want to know or will ever need to know is “…how much sugar am I eating, mixed with what? and how often?..” “…do I really need to eat three times a day…” because they said so (who is they?) rather than when your really hungry?

(Edith) #152

I’m curious about how many calories you consume a day and how many grams of proteins you eat.

You mentioned that last time you were keeping your calories low and that did not work for you. What is your plan for this time?